GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All.
As I am only replacing the rear on the 1000 and still have the oem on front, what is the current consensus on choice?
Thanks
Richard

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi All.
As I am only replacing the rear on the 1000 and still have the oem on front, what is the current consensus on choice?
Thanks
Richard
Metzeler Roadtec 01SE are designed for heavier powerful bikes, I have them and couldn't be happier. If you ride in the rain I'd consider getting a pair, the difference in levels of grip in less than perfect conditions could be quite profound. TBH, any of the top tier sports/touring tyres are a solid choice but the philosophy around replacing the pair remains, or it would for me at least.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool, thanks for those two replies, suggesting tyres I’d not even considered so thanks again. My initial thoughts were a Dunlop Roadsmart, sportsmart or qualifier. Certainly food for thought 🙂

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Michelin M5s work really well on UK roads. They are still the best tyre I've ever used in the wet and out perform all the sports tyres at this time of year. Never felt left behind with them in the summer to be honest. I think the only thing there not really suitable for would be a track day

·
Registered
85 Posts
Dunlop Sportmax Q3+ or Pirelli Angel GT II will be my options when the time comes. Both outstanding tires.
i have the Q3+ and it feels greasy, it actually makes me a little nervous going around corners, i feel it really needs to be warmed up to make the tire even feel a little sticky. i originally had the Q3 (non +) and that tire felt much better going into corners, felt much more confident

BTW, i see you mentioned in a different post your toronto area, if your interested, hit me up on facebook if you have it or exchange numbers. nice to see fellow GSX riders here!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have Dunlop Roadsmart 3’s on my VFR750. They grip very well, gave me 12,000 kilometres before they started to square off and still had a few thousand k left. I’ll likely be putting them on the gsx-s when the oem’s wear out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i have the Q3+ and it feels greasy, it actually makes me a little nervous going around corners, i feel it really needs to be warmed up to make the tire even feel a little sticky. i originally had the Q3 (non +) and that tire felt much better going into corners, felt much more confident

BTW, i see you mentioned in a different post your toronto area, if your interested, hit me up on facebook if you have it or exchange numbers. nice to see fellow GSX riders here!
I have the Q3+ as well and can confirm the greasy or glassy feeling in relatively cold conditions, nothing a quick burnout or aggressive braking doesn't sort out. Any situations where they lost grip caused enough friction to heat them up and regrip immediately. Regardless, they seem more consistent in the rain than the OEMs did in average temps and dry conditions, although the OEMs had only seen a thousand miles and likely sat for a couple years before I got the bike. The best display of that was a 50 to 0 stop on an oily, rough road in light rain at night. I do notice a considerable loss of grip if the bike sits for a week or so. I've gotten about 6000 miles out of them so far and they're starting to visibly square, lots of aggressive 0-70ish stop and go. Grip is fine but takes a bit more to turn them in. Certain that the month or two of lockdown earlier in the year did some harm to the rubber considering the heat here.

·
Registered
44 Posts
i have the Q3+ and it feels greasy, it actually makes me a little nervous going around corners, i feel it really needs to be warmed up to make the tire even feel a little sticky.
I have the Q3+ as well and can confirm the greasy or glassy feeling in relatively cold conditions, nothing a quick burnout or aggressive braking doesn't sort out.
Okay, perhaps I need to reassess my thoughts about the Q3+. :) That's a shame. Only heard great things up to this point.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Seems like we have enough of us around the GTA to have a little group ride.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i replaced my tires for a set Bridgestone S22.

190/55/17 at the rear, it made a huge difference in handling.
so much better cornering- twisties then 190/50/17.

i really like the grip, feedback and handling of the S22 💪

·
Registered
161 Posts
Pirelli Scorpion Trail II. Good 90/10 tyre that sticks to asphalt and performs well when the dirt begins.
Who takes their Gixxes into the dirt where you need anything but a strictly street tire!?!? At least, intentionally?! :oops:

I'll get flak for this but I don't use the cornering ability too much mostly straight line commuting. I will soon need to replace my tires at probably less than 3k miles. When I do, it will be with Shinkos. 009 Raven rear, 016 Verge 2X front. Cheap tires that handle OK. At least they handled OK on the Bandit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've run two sets of Michelin Road 5 (front and back - 190/55) and been very happy with them - almost due for a new set of shoes and considering the Pirelli Angel GT II

·
Registered
8 Posts
Cool, thanks for those two replies, suggesting tyres I’d not even considered so thanks again. My initial thoughts were a Dunlop Roadsmart, sportsmart or qualifier. Certainly food for thought 🙂
Hi All.
Thanks
Richard
Pirelli Angel gt 2, high mileage, performance, great rain tire.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks all. I spoke to Dunlop and they advised tyres that are allowed here in the uk due to homoglamation (sic) rules. Looks like it’ll be the roadsmart2

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
my second set of bridgstone s21 now s22 i get well over 12000 miles on each set s21 i went with a 55 now the s22 i have a 50 there 50 has a shape closer to the 55 i like the 50 better for highway use and feels the same in corners im 6,2 and could feel the difference in the extra hight with 55 ,, felt like always working to keep a straight line on the highway with the 55

·
Registered
17 Posts
Metzeler Roadtec 01SE are designed for heavier powerful bikes, I have them and couldn't be happier. If you ride in the rain I'd consider getting a pair, the difference in levels of grip in less than perfect conditions could be quite profound. TBH, any of the top tier sports/touring tyres are a solid choice but the philosophy around replacing the pair remains, or it would for me at least.
Pirelli Angel gt 2, high mileage, performance, great rain tire.
Hi All.
Thanks
Richard
Pirelli Angel GT, great mileage, high performance. I have a 55 on the rear of my GSXS and I love it.

Reactions: Gixis1k

·
Registered
9 Posts
Metzeler M7RR and Bridgestone S21 perform well both in wet and dry. Although I have changed the tyres in pairs, front and rear at the same time.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Pirelli Angel GT, great mileage, high performance. I have a 55 on the rear of my GSXS and I love it.
same ; Pirelli Angel GT2 55 & 2 hours after having it fitted it began raining - Amazing tyre , could keep the same level of aggressive back road riding with no performance decrease

It seems to have rounded off quickly though , 6½k miles that seems too fast for me!

I'll be replacing for another oneas the front still has at least 3000miles left - which makes sense for me 9-10k on a pair of top gran turismo tyres

1 - 20 of 21 Posts