GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just read the Ride Magazine January 2016 review they put it up against the S1000R, V4 1100R and the triumph 94R. They all agree its half decent bike with no initial bite to the breaks it feels as if they are glazed (in there opinion).

Says its up against the charisma of the triumph, engineering of the B.M.W and the attitude of the Tuono. I will not bore you with all of the ride report but it carries on in much of the same vein.

Finishing by saying it does not seem that Suzuki's heart was really in it. Then there is the overall level of finish it looks like the budget option. And although they agree it is the cheapest in the bunch, its not what its got its what it hasn't. Then state it should have been £1000 less.

They give it a couple of good points such as steering, U-turn low speed control and the suspension works well.

What do you think of that guys.:(

·
Registered
2021(updated model) GSX-S1000
1,884 Posts
When they compare like with like and present facts rather than opinions I would have more respect for them.
I took out a subscription for Ride mag purely to get the Oxford Tank bag they were giving away.
Normally it is the last of the mags I would buy.
My son buys me a subscription to "Bike" mag for Xmas and I sometimes get "Fast Bike" the rest don't appeal to me.

Reactions: Morphy

·
Registered
44 Posts
Mate I've come off 5 years on a speed triple.
I love the triumph, but in Australia I hated the cost of servicing, and don't get me started on after market parts for the trumphy.
If i can get all that fun with a lot less pain in the back pocket, and that's called 'cheap', then I'm the cheapest ******* on earth.
I'm the guy with the big grin on my face as I cruise past….lol

·
Registered
647 Posts
I'm getting a bit bored with these comparisons. For me the only bike comparable is the Kawasaki Z1000.
Looks are very subjective, first time I saw the GSX-S I wanted it. Didn't care what parts they used how it rode I just wanted it. No other naked has made me feel that way. Sure there are 'better' bikes with fancy toys and go faster but I don't care. I absolutely love my bike and for me no other naked comes close.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes agree I had a triumph speed triple also and preferred the Suzuki when I took it for a test run.

I bought the mag because the taster on the front cover pictured blue Suzuki at the front of the pack with a statement, Can the 10k Suzuki GSX-S1000 beat Europe's finest. The mag was in cellophane so had to buy to read.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I wasn't having a pop at you Morphy it just seems all reviews or mentions of the GSX-S is being compared to bikes which cost thousands more and on paper should be better. It's like click bait for us owners only to find the bike isn't as good as a bike costing 50% more.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes no prob ackack didn't think you was I was just pissed off after being tempted to buy the mag to be disappointed with the write up. thought I would stick it on here just to make owners aware of the write up it received.
Morphy.

·
Registered
95 Posts
These reviews are very subjective and it really comes down to the criteria they are passing judgement on.
If you want the ultimate 'canyon carver' and have the coin then the 1100 Ape is your weapon of choice.
Can't comment on the Trumpy as have never ridden one, but they are certainly well liked and have the runs on the board.
The Beemer is also a good all rounder with plenty of tech for the money, but with questionable longevity and reliability.
The GSXS is more of a budget bike in this company, but certainly a good all rounder overall which should prove reliable and easier and more affordable to maintain.
It's certainly more than capable of handling the mountain twists, the daily commute and a weekend away.
It really all comes down to what ticks the most boxes for you personally at the end if the day when choosing a new steed to purchase.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Personal bias is a big factor. The S3 always gets big points from British testers regardless, the other two have considerably more tech for more coin and no tester will place the "budget" option in front of that. Honestly, why is this a suprise? It's nice to have our hyper-UJM included in that company but the result was a foregone conclusion.

Me? I know I made the right decision buying this bike and no poor review from some failed racer makes a jot of difference.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Me? I know I made the right decision buying this bike and no poor review from some failed racer makes a jot of difference.
:laugh: Good line, I bought a GSXR 750 a few years ago, could have bought a V4 or a 1199 or even a fancy Bimota, but I am a normal rider who likes what he likes. So when it came to the day I had to admit I was getting to stiff to ride a sports bike I started looking around for the same thrills but with a bit of comfort. Speed Triple great bike but a bit long in the tooth now, S1000R people will be selling them in droves after the warranty runs out and they find out how much it is to replace all that electronic wizardry. Tuono was going to be the one I went for but then out of the sunshine and a chorus of Angels singing ( if you believe in that supernatural monotheist nonsense ) appeared the GSXS the bike I used to tell people I would buy in a heart beat if Suzuki had the sense to make one which they finally did. These Journalists are spoilt and pampered and have galloping excellence and an inflated opinion of their own importance they pay for nothing and have absolutely no loyalty or concept of living in the real bike buying world. I can afford the supposedly superior machines but the GSXS ticked all my boxes and at the price I paid for a brand new flying machine which makes me feel alive every time I ride it well then that is surely money well spent, plus the extra budget is going on all those wee gucci bits the make it personal to you.

Bit of a rant but you know me, just saying : - )

·
Registered
285 Posts
All those bikes are $4 to $5000 dearer here in Australia than the Suzy. I own one and the finish is excellent.
The brakes are fantastic and they don't need the ''bite '' you are talking about as it is not a sports bike.
The brakes match the suspension beautifully. Best value for money bike I have owned in 42 years of riding

·
Registered
451 Posts
To have a great bike, in this class, costs about 13,000-15000 dollars. I'd like to see how one you build yourself compares to one thats been finished for you.

And that is the reason the bike is great. Many dont care, and they are not forced to pay an extra 3000.00 for premium suspension. Those that do care can. The bad bike is the one that costs 17.000 and you still have to modify.

I do agree the stock brake suck, but a change of pads fixes them for 100.00.

The shootouts also assume all is equal. Equal as in "who pays for service" If I'm paying for service, the finish order is way, way different than theirs.

·
Registered
204 Posts
First of all i admit to liking suzuki and owning many suzuki's however I did not just buy my bike because it is a suzuki. I test rode many bikes and was in a nice position of being able to afford what i wanted. Yes a top range bike would have stretched the bugit but still it was within possibility. I rode many bikes i will not boar you all with the details needles to say i rode all the usual suspects. The fact of the matter was some were good some were bad some were prity some i rode because i wondered if they were as bad on the road as they looked :). No matter how much you spend there is no perfect bike its all about comprimize.

my review of the GSX-S1000 F

At first i was not sure about the nose however i can now say hand on heart i like it. From the moment i got on it i had a smile. People complain about the throttle snatch but i did not find it so bad and in fact within 10 mins was used to it to the point i did not notice ok its always there but its not anywhere near as bad as some reviews have made out. It was fast fun comfortable and most importantly to me my knee injury and my wrists injurys were not an issue so that was i huge tick in the box. The engine sounded sweet the exhaust and intake noise were just great not to loud as to upset the whole street and not like a fart in a matchbox. another tick. in trafic it was easy to handle and did everything i wanted and yes it does pull in 5th and no you dont have to keep it in 2nd to get any power no idea where the reviews get there ideas from but hey everyone has there point of view. (another tick). Then out of town in the fjords i should say first corner i got my knee down but if truth be told i totally screwed the first corner however the bike took it in its stride and looked after me (another plus) second corner yep knee down and i wasn't really trying (thinks humm this is a nice bike that will deal with what i am able to throw at it this is nice as i could basically outride my last bikes capabilities) Front is totally planted and i felt in touch with what it was up to and very quickly able to trust it. Rear is where i will put some cast into the bike as i am a big boy 105kg full kit and thats pushing it a bit on the stock shock I have tried to adjust it but cant seem to get the sweet spot i think due to lack of adjustability. its ither to soft and to much sag or ok sag but feels like a rock however its far from un ridable and also far from the worst suspension on the bikes i rode. All i will say is my experence of dynamic suspension was err well that was S**t mabe it works better for 60-70kg super fit teenagers and those days are past me and i am not going to waste time trying to get them back i am happy with my weight i am fit (i keep up with 3 kids) but lets say it dont look like i missed many meals this year :). Tyres yep they griped. Are they the best tyres in the world err nope but most importantly they are easly able to keep me right side down secondly they will wear out same as all tyres and guess what i will be free to swap them for whatever i want to suit my personal needs. Rear end err well dont think i need to say much other than tail tidy required.

simple concusion:
does it work for me (YES!)
can i aford it plus the changes i will want to make (HECK YES !)
will i want to hide my face if anyone sees me on it (err nope i like it)

Nice bike best of the bunch i tested including more expencive bikes it fits my personal needs and taste

what did i fix when i owned it
headlights (red devil eyes and white halo's rewired to both be on no black eye look for my bike)
tail tidy
indicators
tail tidy
Alarm (i do want to keep it you know)
mirrors with indicators
tank protectors (i read things about possible paint issues so figured should take preventative action)
waiting on finding the right rear shock
waiting on rad protector to arrive in the post (Norways roads full of rocks and rads are expensive learned with last bike)

·
Registered
31 Posts
UK guys stroking the triple.. have fun paying for the Aprillia, and should it honestly be up against the BMW?
I didn't care for their review. You've got to be honest about things not so subjective!
People look to these guys for buying advice. Any real "comparo" article should have at least some basic controlled testing, not some guys riding around b-roads for a day.

·
Registered
451 Posts
The comparison thing was valid many years ago when so many companies had very different ideas of how it should be done. I remember one sport rider issue where they tested 1000 supersport bikes. You had the 600lb Kawasaki zx11 , 600 lb Yamaha 1000, the 580lb gsxr 1100, and the 450 lb cbr900rr.

Thats test was interesting. Everyone idea of "best" was different.

Now, lets make a test. We will take a z 1000, gsxf, fz1, s1000r, aprilia, mv agusta and Honda and put them together. Heck, throw the fz09 in as well. Its less power, but might its light weight make up the difference?

We'll equip all with equal tires and suspension, if needed. This would be fun, and would be a heck of a lot closer to real life as its what we really do.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes probably to much time on my hands, :eek:
Weather forecast for weekend freezing count me out sweeper, Ribble Head to cold for me.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Thats the other problem..reading. Its all we have. If you took that above list, only bmw really has a test program to let you drive one of these bikes before you buy it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts