GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I used their applicator tool. Pretty simple and clever, but helps to watch a video of its use first. I don't know how you'd do it without it. They send six strips in case you bungle a couple. I did two bikes with Tapeworks tape and tool in the past and never messed up one piece. On this one I mucked up two pieces, so I'm glad I had the extra. You have to be sure to hold the tool at the same angle as the rim where you are applying -- both edges of the tool have to be on the rim. On one piece I must have been at a slight angle so only one edge got pressed down, had to rip off and start over.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
How does the glue on the rim tape react when the chain is cleaned with kerosene and it runs down the wheel rim.
I imagine the kero in places would get under the glue (nothing is 100% bonding) and over time it would dissolve the glue and ruin the tape's bond.
Any idea on durability?

Rob.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How does the glue on the rim tape react when the chain is cleaned with kerosene and it runs down the wheel rim.
I imagine the kero in places would get under the glue (nothing is 100% bonding) and over time it would dissolve the glue and ruin the tape's bond.
Any idea on durability?

Rob.
The strongest thing I use to clean the chain (and to clean the wheel as well) is WD40, so I can't tell you about kerosene. When I clean around the tape I just spray a little on a paper towel and wipe the wheel, trying not to get enough that would seep under the edge, and I don't ride in rain, snow, mud, etc. So far have had no issues in a couple years of use on other bikes. I'm guessing if exposed to liquid solvent long enough or enough times it certainly might affect the adhesive.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I added the Suzuki rim neon yellow tape with red "R" that goes on the GSX-R bikes to a plain black front wheel I bought used to be my rain wheel for racing. Pain in the butt to put on straight with no guide or anything. Very over priced at $80 to do just one wheel. I would love to have the neon yellow rim tape with red "S" for my GSX but two things, it cost too much and is only sold over seas and it's a pain in the butt to get on straight.

I have cleaned the wheels on the race bike and had no issues with the tape on all four wheels coming off yet. I do not use anything stronger than soapy water or WD40 on rag but never directly put on the decals.

·
Registered
719 Posts

I applied the yellow gsx tape oem from suzuki. Bought from suzuki GB.
Arrived in 1 week
It was NOT $80 to do both wheels....would have to double check but it was closer to $40.
The tape was pre curved....after cleaning wheel with rubbing etoh only took about 15 min to do both wheels.
Really was not that hard at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
543 Posts

I applied the yellow gsx tape oem from suzuki. Bought from suzuki GB.
Arrived in 1 week
It was NOT $80 to do both wheels....would have to double check but it was closer to $40.
The tape was pre curved....after cleaning wheel with rubbing etoh only took about 15 min to do both wheels.
Really was not that hard at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks good! also nice to know they are not over priced from GB Suzuki like the GSXR stuff is here state side. I may break down and order a set from over there. It is about time to swap tires and it would make it easier to apply. Looks like the width of the tape with S on it is is wider than the version with R on it which is on my GSXR.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Geez i just noticed that strap on the back seat, lol. After having my first seat done by Sargent I took the strap off the second bike and never looked back. I thought it looked like it fit before, but now it looks strange :)

·
Registered
890 Posts
Nicely done. I haven't done rim tape since back when tapeworks didn't have the tool and the tape wasn't pre-curved. You applied it by taking a lot of time and pouring curse words onto it. Been thinking about doing my GSX-S with some, be interesting to see how things have changed over the years.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nicely done. I haven't done rim tape since back when tapeworks didn't have the tool and the tape wasn't pre-curved. You applied it by taking a lot of time and pouring curse words onto it. Been thinking about doing my GSX-S with some, be interesting to see how things have changed over the years.
Go for it! What color is your bike? That yellow on a blue bike looks fantastic, especially the oem -though it might be a little harder to apply than the tapeworks with the tool. I know folks have done it, but I can't imagine trying to apply straight tape without the tool.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Yea, I have plans for the wheels, just further down the line. I'm a yellow fanatic and love PhuketPaul's bike, the blue on this bike is amazing and the yellow really compliments it well.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Yea, I have plans for the wheels, just further down the line. I'm a yellow fanatic and love PhuketPaul's bike, the blue on this bike is amazing and the yellow really compliments it well.
I also really like the gold color circles like the front forks. And what do you think of cubicatura? I don't know how to say it in English but this is for example carbon red ....

·
Registered
890 Posts
I also really like the gold color circles like the front forks. And what do you think of cubicatura? I don't know how to say it in English but this is for example carbon red ....
Carbon Fiber? That one looks like it's been hydro dipped. I'm really not a fan of fake carbon fiber, but that's just me. Full disclosure, I have a few parts wrapped on my FJR with fake carbon fiber. The sheets were cheap and I used them to learn how to wrap and wrapped the two pieces that were an odd color from Yamaha that didn't match the rest of the bike. But no, I don't think I'd pay for hydro dipped fake carbon, but again, that's just me and you asked me what I thought. And no, I cannot afford any kind of real carbon fiber wheels either. :D

·
Registered
327 Posts
With patience and practice the rim tape can be applied manually without the tools and these days the tape can be peeled back and re- applied if you make a mistake with the curvature. You gotta get the better quality 7 year outside vinyl though. Good idea to preheat with a hair dryer or the like both the wheel edge (and the tape) just before you apply each quarter to each wheel, making sure it's perfectly clean first using isopropyl alcohol or similar. With this method and application it will last years

·
Registered
233 Posts
Carbon Fiber? That one looks like it's been hydro dipped. I'm really not a fan of fake carbon fiber, but that's just me. Full disclosure, I have a few parts wrapped on my FJR with fake carbon fiber. The sheets were cheap and I used them to learn how to wrap and wrapped the two pieces that were an odd color from Yamaha that didn't match the rest of the bike. But no, I don't think I'd pay for hydro dipped fake carbon, but again, that's just me and you asked me what I thought. And no, I cannot afford any kind of real carbon fiber wheels either. /forum/images/DiscoverySport_net/smilies/tango_face_grin.png
It is not true carbon but it is a film that applies by immersing the piece in a tank. It's the cubicatura ...... Like this ....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts