GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering what is the running in on a new gsx-s-f , how many revs for how many miles, as this is the first brand new bike i have had all the others were done for me lol

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just rode normal but don't go over 6k revs ,ive only done 300 miles so far , read the manual info in there ,but I do give it some but keep revs under 6k

·
Registered
974 Posts
There is a couple of threads already if you use the search and that may give you some more and mixed advice, in my opinion find some nice twisties and have some fun up and down the revs up to 5 or 6k and through the gears, you won't be killing the bike but you will be breaking it in as it is recommended to load and unload the bike through the gears, you will get a good feel for the bike also, it is recommended to not sit on one speed to long so this would be ideal IMO.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Reactions: lumberjack

·
Registered
974 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Love those twisties, just seem to go on forever. Would be nice to ride there. Wonder if speedo is in km/h or m/hr, could not tell.

Lumberjack - like guys have said, breaking in the bike seems to be very contentious issue with varying views, but a very important issue in actual fact. It sets the tone for the longevity and performance of the engine. Do yourself a favour and read as many views on it and then decide for yourself, cause its your bike at the end of the day and you have to live with it. Some say "ride like you stole it" and others say just follow the manufacturers manual. My personal view - if you ride it like dud, its probably going to be like a dud; and if you ride it like champion, its going to be like a champion.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Love those twisties, just seem to go on forever. Would be nice to ride there. Wonder if speedo is in km/h or m/hr, could not tell.

Lumberjack - like guys have said, breaking in the bike seems to be very contentious issue with varying views, but a very important issue in actual fact. It sets the tone for the longevity and performance of the engine. Do yourself a favour and read as many views on it and then decide for yourself, cause its your bike at the end of the day and you have to live with it. Some say "ride like you stole it" and others say just follow the manufacturers manual. My personal view - if you ride it like dud, its probably going to be like a dud; and if you ride it like champion, its going to be like a champion.
Speedo is in km of course. and its a brake-in so not over 5000-6000 rpm. the other video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHDUH2soj0I&list=PLaBTNqlta_Dab47Qd1NeLQBEuSuJO5F29 is without showing speedo also for legal reason-way too much. ooo and around 7.20 u have a footpeg scrathing>:D
Tires M7RR

·
Registered
451 Posts
Ive probably read every break in thread just after I saw all the oil threads.

Fascinated by both topics, really, but always disappointed in having no evidence to support the claims.

On this specific bike, I do recall a thread where the owner had oil burning issues. For me, that would be enough to not consider running it in easy. The 08 cbr100rr hondas did the same thing when they were broken in easy.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Most dealers are staffed by morons. What does the manual say, from the people who design and build your engine?
You mean like the same engineers that build mirrors that don't stay in place, TC switches that stick, brake calipers that get recalled, program snatchy throttles, or design heated grips that fail. Yeah. I'll break my engine in MY way.

I will agree that most dealers are staffed with morons!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

thanks lads i will probably ride it tidy for the first 300 odd and go for it lol

·
Registered
849 Posts
You mean like the same engineers that build mirrors that don't stay in place, TC switches that stick, brake calipers that get recalled, program snatchy throttles, or design heated grips that fail. Yeah. I'll break my engine in MY way.
Ehh, touche, but those are more of manufacturing/assembly issues, sans the throttle issues. My right mirror just came loose yesterday.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Someone needs to buy six bikes. That would make a good sample. Wed try three on a dyno break in, and three ran in gently.

I owned my concours 14 since 2009. I bought it with just under 900 miles on it. I never paid any attention to break in and just ride it. Occasional bursts to redline, but few and far between.

Two summers ago, I had an emergency situation. The 150 miles I ride were covered in under 90 minutes. That included a fuel stop. At that point, the bike had around 9000 miles on it. Had I been caught, it would have been on the news, so I dont recommend doing

After that evening, the bike ran much smoother, and the cooling fan came on less often.. I believe thats what it took to finally break it in. Both things are subjective, but it was enough of a difference to notice.

With my next new bike, I think I'll go right from the showroom floor to a dyno room.

I believe these modern bikes are so fast and so powerful that its difficult to REALLY break them in and stay out of jail.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts