GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have ordered the new bike and hopefully it will be here in a couple of days ( I got the Blue one with the fairing, the fastest one btw :)) and never having a new bike before i was wondering how you guys ran in your bike.

Just simply riding it easy and without red lining it and going through the gears and rev range for a thousand k's keeping the highway k's to a limit or does any one else have any other ways.

Also how does the bike feel when new and after the run in period or a period of time, does it all feel like it has freed up a bit ie gearbox, brakes suspension or just the same,

I'm probably just asking the obvious here but would like any other opinions as i do only get one chance to do it and would like to do it right

·
Registered
44 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
I have ordered the new bike and hopefully it will be here in a couple of days ( I got the Blue one with the fairing, the fastest one btw :)) and never having a new bike before i was wondering how you guys ran in your bike.

Just simply riding it easy and without red lining it and going through the gears and rev range for a thousand k's keeping the highway k's to a limit or does any one else have any other ways.
Just follow the manual. The engineers who design and build your engine know exactly what is required. There is no need to second-guess them.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers guys a big help and peace of mind

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Everyone talks about the engine but I'd like to add be careful of the brakes.
Mine were awful when taking the bike out of the show room.

Shiney pads and shiny discs, I was used to one finger stopping power with my previous bike. I over shot the junction and ran 4 feet out into the road leaving the car park!:eek:
They were good enough if you used your whole hand, and now they have bedded in I'm much more pleased with them, just go careful until you are used to them;)

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
:laugh:It was nearly front brake, rear brake, feet down, jump off and get in front of it. A couple of seconds of an OH Sh!T moment.:laugh:
Fortunately, no traffic and no one saw me so no harm done:D
;)

·
Registered
85 Posts
this is an interesting one. i know the manual is specific about babying the engine, but there are a ton of people who say the most important thing is to not ride it at one speed or rpm but continuously increase and decrease rpms. what do i know. also the rpm limit seems unrealistic :)

My dealer put 3 miles on my bike... Still at 3 miles cos I haven't ridden it yet..doh...:(

·
Registered
355 Posts
this is an interesting one. i know the manual is specific about babying the engine, but there are a ton of people who say the most important thing is to not ride it at one speed or rpm but continuously increase and decrease rpms. what do i know. also the rpm limit seems unrealistic :)
I remember Percy Tait, who was chief tester at the Triumph factory in the 60's being quoted as saying he could properly run in a bike in 50 miles. It was a case of having the experience to "feel" when the engine was starting to stress and always varying the revs and load.

In these litigious days, manufacturers will always err on the side of caution. Running my bike in, I didn't worry too much about not exceeding the recommended rev limits, but didn't do it for long and avoided making the motor struggle at low revs.

·
Registered
131 Posts
My dealer claims that all Suzuki bikes are subjected to 3 off full power runs on a diagnostic dyno before they are allowed to leave the factory.
Varying the revs and loading engine without max revs, plus avoiding letting it labour in too high a gear, has always worked for me.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My 2008 GenII Hayabusa was well run in. The dealer took it for a 60km bedding run and then full throttle up to 300km/hour. That was it - job done. The bike has now done 42,000km, runs like a dream and burns no oil.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Ride it however you like. If it breaks get a new one under warranty. *repeat*
Ive broken three new engines in over the last 18 months and i just use the RPM as a guidance but not the rule. I think common sense is the keys before the first service.

My dealer put 5 miles on it testing the brakes. Sounds like they got something on the brakes if it just rolled out into the road or didn't remove the protective oil properly.

·
Registered
355 Posts
My dealer put 5 miles on it testing the brakes. Sounds like they got something on the brakes if it just rolled out into the road or didn't remove the protective oil properly.
Most likely just bedding in issues. My dealer warned me before I set off home and he was right - they were pretty wooden and I doubled the following distance!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
1.8 miles on the clocks when I got it. I think most of it was me, expecting it to be as good as my 10 yr old bike or better.
Also, I don't think much of their service department. When the bike went in for the 600 mile service they didn't even adjust the chain which had enough slack in it to hit the swing arm. I thought they might have noticed but noo, even though they had ticked the box on the service card to say they had checked it.
Don't worry. I won't be going back for any future work. All I will use them for is any warranty work I might need.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts