GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I the only one that has run their bike out of gas. The dash is a little busy and the fuel bar on the bottom is not something I key in on. Last summer I really ran it down to nothing. Had to stop a couple of times and lean the bike from side to side to get it to fire up. Did not end up walking but I was basically out of fuel in the parking lot next to my wife's car.

Last week I was out getting carried away and looked down to see something telling me I had 5 miles for range. Not sure it that was range before going into the "reserve" but I was not looking for a repeat of last summer. I was also 7 miles from the nearest gas station.

I really think its the nature of the dash and how everything is on that little screen which is not what I looking at most of the time I am on the bike. I have several other bikes, two still have manual reserve valves. One has a separate gauge in the dash. One has very little else in the digital screen.

So who else is willing to admit to running out of fuel.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I haven't but I came close today. I usually keep range until empty up on my screen. For some reason I switched it the last time that I was out to look at average MPG. I went out for a local run. Right before I got home noticed my fuel light blinking. I had four miles left. When I got home I threw a little bit of 87 octane out of the garage in it. That will get me to the gas station tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
It wouldn't be hard for Suzuki to add a second meaning to one of the dash lights.
I was thinking the high beam indicator blue light could be made to flash (via programming in the ECU) at a higher rate when in the final stage (1.5 litre's left).

Rob.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've run it so low on gas, that it was stalling.
When the 'fuel range' says 0, you can still ride about 20 km ( 12mi ) if your doing 80 k/hr (50 mph) and driving conservatively.
The dash is a joke.

·
Registered
8 Posts
When the 'fuel range' says 0, you can still ride about 20 km ( 12mi ) if your doing 80 k/hr (50 mph) and driving conservatively.
The dash is a joke.
That's good information concerning the 20 km past ”empty.” I've been meaning to test my range, but now I won't have to.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The dash is a joke.
Brave man you are, even to try it out

·
Registered
15 Posts
From what I've noticed, I believe the range is calculated partly on your avg fuel consumption history, maybe not completely based on it , but it def has an effect.

when I fill up after a long casual open road ride, my AVG consumption was sitting higher than normal, the range reads 40+km more than when I fill up after a day on the track with the bike as then my AVG consumption is very low,

as the one instance, I also went 20km after range reading showed 0, and the next time barely even made it to 0

·
Registered
249 Posts
Not sure what the range is based on, definitely not a longer term value though as when I filled up after over 180 miles it predicted 150 miles range.

End of the day it is a rough guide and I am happier for it to err on the safe side rather than sitting me on the side of the road with an empty tank and 10 miles of range still showing.

·
Registered
48 Posts
From what I've noticed, I believe the range is calculated partly on your avg fuel consumption history, maybe not completely based on it , but it def has an effect.

when I fill up after a long casual open road ride, my AVG consumption was sitting higher than normal, the range reads 40+km more than when I fill up after a day on the track with the bike as then my AVG consumption is very low,

as the one instance, I also went 20km after range reading showed 0, and the next time barely even made it to 0

I agree. Has to do with how you ride. I track my fuel economy on Fuelly.com Looks like I ride less efficiently than others do.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Not sure what the range is based on, definitely not a longer term value though as when I filled up after over 180 miles it predicted 150 miles range.

End of the day it is a rough guide and I am happier for it to err on the safe side rather than sitting me on the side of the road with an empty tank and 10 miles of range still showing.
i see the same a lot of times at fill up range may say 140 150.....as i ride ive seen the range go up and not move for many miles that goes also for if range 15 miles you may travel 2 or 3 miles and range only drops 1 mile my trip is always spot on

·
Registered
43 Posts
IMO if you're running out of gas on a bike that has a fuel gauge, miles to empty, and digital trip meter, then you're just not doing very well. For many years people got by with just a trip meter.

·
Registered
174 Posts
IMO if you're running out of gas on a bike that has a fuel gauge, miles to empty, and digital trip meter, then you're just not doing very well. For many years people got by with just a trip meter.
It’s true, and I tend to stay on the safe side, but having such tools, a lot of people tend to push the limit to see how much more it can go. Bad idea. And sometimes, gas stations are far and the tank is not very big. My mazda (car) light is much later than my other cars, so I got caught a couple of times. No fun. I try to be safer now!

I did bring the gsxs down to 0 km left (and did a couple extra kms even), but that was after experiencing with the bike. I have never put more than 16L in it, so I have never rode with less than 1L (in theory). Hopefully suzuki tank size rating is accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I have always had an adrenaline habit that needs feeding.
If I haven't scraped a peg or scared myself a little bit on a ride then I am disappointed.

Reactions: Barstewardsquad

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have always had an adrenaline habit that needs feeding.
If I haven't scraped a peg or scared myself a little bit on a ride then I am disappointed.

We would be dangerous together....Good thing there's a huge pound between us.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Am I the only one that has run their bike out of gas. The dash is a little busy and the fuel bar on the bottom is not something I key in on. Last summer I really ran it down to nothing. Had to stop a couple of times and lean the bike from side to side to get it to fire up. Did not end up walking but I was basically out of fuel in the parking lot next to my wife's car.

Last week I was out getting carried away and looked down to see something telling me I had 5 miles for range. Not sure it that was range before going into the "reserve" but I was not looking for a repeat of last summer. I was also 7 miles from the nearest gas station.

I really think its the nature of the dash and how everything is on that little screen which is not what I looking at most of the time I am on the bike. I have several other bikes, two still have manual reserve valves. One has a separate gauge in the dash. One has very little else in the digital screen.

You're not the only one. I completely ran out of fuel some months ago; deliberately. I wanted to get an idea on the accuracy of the gauge and range reading. The odometer showed 4251 miles with 20 miles left on the range. At 4279 miles, the range went to 0. It made it to 4296 and that was it. Bone dry. I rode the bike at a normal riding pace without being in stop and go traffic. I then pulled my fuel can from my Roister bag and went on my way. Now I have an idea on where I'm at with range. You're results may differ from mine.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I do. After the third time i added a yellow gas station light to the cockpit.
a small exlectronic box takes the signal from the tank sensor, analog comparator compares it to 12V (poti for adjustment)
donÄ't forget a huge low pass (t= 2Min). all done with one comparator.
adjusting needs some time, but works fine when done.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I always have the tank full before ridding the bike. I consider the tank empty when the fuel gauge says 1/4 of tank left. Most of the time I put about 3 ~ 3.5 gallons, this means that I still have about 1 gallon left. The tank capacity is 4.5 US gallons.

Checking how much gas you have is just one of many things that you need to check before ridding the bike, for example a quick inspection of the tires, brakes, leakages, chain, lights, abnormal noises, abnormal behavior, broken stuff, etc.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts