GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back I saw a GSXS1000s for sale in a local shop with no end can on the stock headers, it had some sort of trim piece to dress it up slightly. Unfortunately I failed to take a photo!

I know that changing the end can with standard cat intact headers in place makes little to no difference to power or noise but, does anyone else run without an end can and if so what is the trim piece.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've seen what I think you're referring to. It's just a black slant tip, right? I recall it being pricier than what it should be for just a small piece of pipe ... can't find it now though after searching online.

·
Registered
28 Posts
There is a thread with pictures of this. And yes, I am going to that set-up, ordered a tip from the UK a couple of days ago. I do agree, a bit of money for the parts (99 UK pounds) but easier than having a go to see if I can build it. I went this parts primarily for looks; weight saving is a bonus.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Yeah, I think it's post #3 on that link.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I got my GSX-S about 2 months ago. After the 40 mile ride home from the dealer, I immediately pulled the stock exhaust can off the bike because I found it way too quiet. The cats on this thing really muffle the exhaust sound. I've been riding around with just a short open hole since. Really don't care how it looks as I actually don't find this bike to be that good looking of a bike.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I got my GSX-S about 2 months ago. After the 40 mile ride home from the dealer, I immediately pulled the stock exhaust can off the bike because I found it way too quiet. The cats on this thing really muffle the exhaust sound. I've been riding around with just a short open hole since. Really don't care how it looks as I actually don't find this bike to be that good looking of a bike.
There's very little inside the stock can. Other than adding weight it doesn't change much. All of the silencing is happening inside the silencer muffler.
If you're after a great sound at a very modest price i'd consider the M4 slip on. It's black, tidy and really enhances the sound and volume while giving a nice gurgle on deceleration.

·
Registered
20 Posts
A while back I saw a GSXS1000s for sale in a local shop with no end can on the stock headers, it had some sort of trim piece to dress it up slightly. Unfortunately I failed to take a photo!

I know that changing the end can with standard cat intact headers in place makes little to no difference to power or noise but, does anyone else run without an end can and if so what is the trim piece.
I have the Go Rhino tip. It was under $10 on Amazon. For details/alternatives, see post #18 in New GSXS Owner

·
Registered
16 Posts
There's very little inside the stock can. Other than adding weight it doesn't change much. All of the silencing is happening inside the silencer muffler.
If you're after a great sound at a very modest price i'd consider the M4 slip on. It's black, tidy and really enhances the sound and volume while giving a nice gurgle on deceleration.
I'll have to disagree with you. I think it is probably the cats that are doing most of the "silencing".
There is no way I am going to pay a couple of hundred dollars for a slip on to "enhance the volume" of something that is already not so loud without a can at all. I may pay $10 for that Rhino tip though!
If I want better sound I would just go with the $70 decat pipe on Ebay. The stock exhaust sounds pretty good with this setup and it's inexpensive.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I'll have to disagree with you. I think it is probably the cats that are doing most of the "silencing".
There is no way I am going to pay a couple of hundred dollars for a slip on to "enhance the volume" of something that is already not so loud without a can at all. I may pay $10 for that Rhino tip though!
If I want better sound I would just go with the $70 decat pipe on Ebay. The stock exhaust sounds pretty good with this setup and it's inexpensive.
[/QU
Believe what you want dude. The m4 surprised me. I've spent more on exhaust and tune setups than most. Now running a decat and Yoshi r11 slip on. That Rhino tip will "probably" so the same job though right?
Good luck

·
Registered
16 Posts
Believe what you want dude. The m4 surprised me. I've spent more on exhaust and tune setups than most. Now running a decat and Yoshi r11 slip on. That Rhino tip will "probably" so the same job though right?
Good luck
The tip would merely be for looks and not sound.
So let me be sure what you are saying: Adding the M4 end can to my factory setup will be louder than my factory setup with no end can?

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have been running w/o end can for maybe a year. I like it. No nice finish, just removed. Does bother me much but I may put a tip on it. It makes me laugh when people suggest I buy a slip on. Wait, it’s not loud, look is fine to me, so you want me to buy a 100$ can that adds weight, does not give hp, just so that it looks more common? No thanks! I couldn’t believe how little it impacts the sound. A little throtier than stock I think, no reason to keep it there imo. Though I think it gets a bit louder over time. Imo, the stock exhaust is decent already onnthis bike. Louder than your typical stock setup I think. It was a quick temporary experiment and I never looked back.

I would like to change the whole exhaust line and flash for powa, but I am not able to decide. I don’t want it to be too loud. Because it’s not so loud, I can actually rev the thing a bit and have fun w/o being affraid to piss off house occupent. Not much point into making it loud if it gets me hesitate to twist it. That’s my dilema. I may end up flashing the ecu w/ only little exhaust work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
507 Posts
The tip would merely be for looks and not sound.
So let me be sure what you are saying: Adding the M4 end can to my factory setup will be louder than my factory setup with no end can?
Yep. I removed the stock can to paint it and realized that it sounded exactly the same either way. Bought the m4 as others said it amplified and shaped the sound and was amazed by how much. Because it's short like the stock can it sits just under your foot and is in ear shot. Due to the drone on the highway I sold it, that's how much louder it was. I much prefer my Yoshi which mounts to the pillion peg and finishes closer to the rear. It makes a difference when the sound is behind you. I'm not trying to sell you on the m4. I couldn't give two sh1ts. Only interested in stating facts not opinions.

·
Registered
147 Posts
This is why you dump the garbage they put on there to meet standards/tests & pony up for a good full system (M4) let that baby breathe as it is intended to. Flash it cuz they do the same there, make it lean to pass tests, & call it a day.
It just wants to breathe & get the correct amount of fuel throughout the rev range....

·
Registered
303 Posts
Yep. I removed the stock can to paint it and realized that it sounded exactly the same either way. Bought the m4 as others said it amplified and shaped the sound and was amazed by how much. Because it's short like the stock can it sits just under your foot and is in ear shot. Due to the drone on the highway I sold it, that's how much louder it was. I much prefer my Yoshi which mounts to the pillion peg and finishes closer to the rear. It makes a difference when the sound is behind you. I'm not trying to sell you on the m4. I couldn't give two sh1ts. Only interested in stating facts not opinions.
Agreed - running Holeshot can instead of Yoshi - only keeping my M4 can for - whatever.

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
ran it without a can for awhile , no ive removed the muffler stock is fine , aesthetically for me the understated look is perfect. i replaced my stock silver can for a black one. looks pukka , just need to cerrakote the rest of the pipework

i dont like the huge looking yoshi & most other slipons are to in ya face. remover the muffler & the bike sounds perfect

1 - 18 of 18 Posts