GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my bike is running rough on the first start of the day and sometimes cutting out if revved. After 10 or so minutes the issue gets better.

Symtoms: It starts fine but smells of fuel and runs rough, then on subsequent starts all appears to be ok.

I've changed the plugs, which were new but badly fouled, I guess due to this issue and adjusted the TPS, the bike is slightly better (not cutting out) but the problem is still there.

Any ideas are welcome.

Cheers
Jimmy

·
Registered
364 Posts
Sounds like you may have a sensor malfunction causing it to run overly rich. Maybe the O2 sensor or the intake air temp sensor. Is the bike stock or modified?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought the bike second hand and the only mod I can see is a slip on Yoshi exhaust.

I'll read up on O2 sensor stuff tomorrow morning. If you have any tips...I'm all ears.
Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
2016 f
431 Posts
Id check everything is plugged in, lift the tank, check all sensors are plugged in, air hoses connected, aftet that a check of codes

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies. I disconnected everything and reconnected it again. The bike ran fine, I'm yet to test it "cold" but the run this afternoon was encouraging.
Thanks for taking the time to make suggestions.

Cheers
Jim

·
Registered
1 Posts
Interested to hear how you have got on, as I have a very similar issue. Runs very poorly when cold - sometimes. No codes, but with the ignition on and not running, clicking noise from the exhaust servo actuator. Not sure if this is normal or not

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Interested to hear how you have got on, as I have a very similar issue. Runs very poorly when cold - sometimes. No codes, but with the ignition on and not running, clicking noise from the exhaust servo actuator. Not sure if this is normal or not

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
My bike has been running ok since the last post, however a couple of days ago it idled rough on start but quickly recovered. It's summer here in Australia now so no cold mornings but I'll be keeping an eye on this as I don't think I've fixed it.
Good luck with yours.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Update for anyone who may be interested. After a few days of running "ok" the problem has returned. I'm out of Idea so I'll need to take it to the shop....I'm guessing this will be an expensive change parts to see what happens type exercise. I've attached a link to the bike running and cutting out.

·
Registered
2021(updated model) GSX-S1000
2,139 Posts
Update for anyone who may be interested. After a few days of running "ok" the problem has returned. I'm out of Idea so I'll need to take it to the shop....I'm guessing this will be an expensive change parts to see what happens type exercise. I've attached a link to the bike running and cutting out.
In my none expert opinion it sounds like it's not running on all four pots and/or it's too rich.

Reactions: gritty and Jimmy

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, it’s definitely running rich, I can smell the fuel.
the problem is intermittent which is why I’m stuffed if I can nail down the cause.
Rode it an hour or so after this video and it was fine.😳

·
Registered
739 Posts
FWIW I was thinking the same thing dekker said, makes me think a cylinder is not firing consistently. Are all 4 header pipes getting hot at the same time, or is one colder than the other three after running a few minutes?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
FWIW I was thinking the same thing dekker said, makes me think a cylinder is not firing consistently. Are all 4 header pipes getting hot at the same time, or is one colder than the other three after running a few minutes?
I'll check that out next time it decides to run rough. The past few days it's been flawless.

·
Registered
Suzuki GSX-S 1000
537 Posts
my thought was not all 4 cylinders are firing ; I'm no expert at all as I was thinking of it were running to lean then it'd cut out.

the idling rpm is struggling to keep at 1k.

you may have a failed ignition coil

1 - 16 of 16 Posts