GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My current bike is a Victory which I bought brand new and just love. However, I only use it on weekends and because it has loud (but very therapeutic) pipes it is somewhat impractical for daily use, particularly at odd hours.

Therefore I have been looking at a used/beat-up sport bike that I can drive daily and not care much about. Last week I was at my local used bike dealership and came across a very reasonably priced low mileage (<2k) GSX-S1000F which I bought.

However, because the bike has not yet been delivered I have a chance to exchange it without any penalty. The thing is that they also have the 1250S (same year and very similar mileage) which got me thinking that perhaps it might be better for me. I did test ride the S1000F (after I bought) but wasn't too impressed. But then I really didn't get a chance to take it on the highway.

I do not plan on using the bike on the track but I do like to go fast on the highway and love torque. I want something that is stable, and feels comfortable and planted at 90 mph.

Now the S1000F and 1250S are very different bikes but given my use and budget they are somewhat similar (the bandit is $500 cheaper than the S1000F, has similar mileage and is more of an all-rounder).

I have been reading about some the issues with S1000F here (e.g., throttle response, lack of good wind protection in spite of windshield/fairings etc.) and need some friendly advice very soon.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The difference will come when you wind up the motor on the gsx1000...it has good mid range considering the bike type though.

I had a r3 before it so understand what having real torque is like, but with the gsx once you get used to using the above 6k rpm power delivery it is a very enjoyable experience....

I'm not sure the bandit would provide the same level and type of satisfaction as the gsx....or give you the torque you're used to with the victory either being an IL4...it may not provide anything you like?

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
The F weighs 90 lbs less, has 50 more HP, almost identical torque, better brakes, modern aluminum frame, and I haven't ridden the Bandit, it doesn't look like it has any more protection. It lists for about $2000 less if resale is a consideration. I commute on my F every day when the weather permits, and it is a fantastic bike for that (or anything else). ... but I haven't ridden a Bandit, and I'm biased, but the numbers don't lie.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I owned a 1250 Bandit and a very relaxed ride it was too. Guessing from your comments I would think that that is the bike for you. The GSX-s does not have the same relaxed riding position or driving experience it begs to be thrashed and is more sports orientated. It can be ridden slowly however if you have the will power.;)

·
Registered
278 Posts
If you're used to cruisers you might not like the GSXS, it's basically a gixxer superbike but with more upright ergos. The Bandit also has better luggage options.

·
Registered
220 Posts
97bhp, okay can live with that but 254kg is just toooo much, reckon completely different bike but never ridden one, try and test ride both is my advice

but then the best bikes I've had I never test rode, not actually even rode my GSX yet, too many points for insurance, going to be a long winter, going nuts

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have both - and they are different bikes for different moods.

Bandit is the heavier of the 2 (about 550 pounds stock), with great low end torque and rides well on the highway. It is nicely modified and puts out about 125hp (Holeshot.com mods).

GSX is much lighter (about 475 pounds stock); and is great on winding roads. It is now being modified.

A bigger person may like the Bandit better, a smaller person may like the GSX better.

Try them both.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you everyone. Just came back from the dealership after finalizing the S1000F. Will be delivered next week. With a cruiser in my garage the GSX just makes more sense. I also felt that the Bandit was priced higher ($6.5k) given that you can get a brand new one for $7k.

Now I just have to buy some saddlebags. Any recommendations? IMO, they look really good on the S1000F, e.g., http://www.carpimoto.com/Images/Products/Zoom/Givi_Suzuki_GSX-S1000F.jpg

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice! That red color looks good on the bandit. The GT version with lower fairings looks stunning.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Thank you everyone. Just came back from the dealership after finalizing the S1000F. Will be delivered next week. With a cruiser in my garage the GSX just makes more sense. I also felt that the Bandit was priced higher ($6.5k) given that you can get a brand new one for $7k.

Now I just have to buy some saddlebags. Any recommendations? IMO, they look really good on the S1000F, e.g., http://www.carpimoto.com/Images/Products/Zoom/Givi_Suzuki_GSX-S1000F.jpg
I think you're going to love it, and those bags look great.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts