GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
the stock seat pushes me forward due to the curve upwards at the back.

for those that have one is the Saddlemen the same shape?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just got one. look nice but it did not fit.
The bracket at the rear with the hole for the bushing and bolt was a least 3/8" ( about 9mm) too long and would not go under the frame bracket without having to force it like crazy. once underneath the frame, the seat bracket would not align with the threaded hole. I could have sent it back but decide to modify it instead. I drilled out the bracket 2 rivets as well than some of the rivets holding the cover at the back in order to access the back of the seat pan.
Removed the bracket and drilled 2 new holes at a different location in order to move the bracket in by about 3/8". Used 6mm bolts and nuts instead of rivets on the bracket. Riveted the cover back on and voila.
Little frustrating.
Contacted Saddleman . Let see what they have to say

·
Registered
152 Posts
I got mine last week, it fits very well (a little tight putting it on though. I haven't had a chance to ride yet, but I think it's firmness and shape will be a lot better for long rides than the stock seat. Fit and finish is great too.... for $200 I think it will be hard to beat!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just got one. look nice but it did not fit.
The bracket at the rear with the hole for the bushing and bolt was a least 3/8" ( about 9mm) too long and would not go under the frame bracket without having to force it like crazy. once underneath the frame, the seat bracket would not align with the threaded hole. I could have sent it back but decide to modify it instead. I drilled out the bracket 2 rivets as well than some of the rivets holding the cover at the back in order to access the back of the seat pan.
Removed the bracket and drilled 2 new holes at a different location in order to move the bracket in by about 3/8". Used 6mm bolts and nuts instead of rivets on the bracket. Riveted the cover back on and voila.
Little frustrating.
Contacted Saddleman . Let see what they have to say

Let's give credit when credit is due... Saddleman sent me a brand new seat, as well than rear cover, free of charge and I also got to keep the one that I modified.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Just fitted one yesterday. Shape is much better provide a good base, doesn't pitch me forward like the OEM, no more trying to sit further back. Initially it is quite firm but can't comment what it's like after a couple of hours

Attachments

·
Registered
379 Posts
Does anyone (in the US) want to sell, rent, or lend their stock/extra seat? I want to send my seat pan to Sargent but don't want to be without the bike for 2-3 weeks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
No fit

Hello, just got my Saddlemen gp1 seat and it did not fit...ordered from revzilla.com as they were the only one that would ship to Norway... . The bracket in the back for te fastening bolt was way too long. Removed it and made new holes and riveted it back on. Now i can get te seat to fit the bike, but no way in **** I'll get the passenger seat/cover back on. The Saddlemen seat is way higher than the original and makes it impossible to slip the passenger seat/cover into its lock... anyone experienced similar issues??
Tried to contact revzilla but they say 30day return policy.. and Thats less than just shipping time to norway.....

Jr

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Hello, just got my Saddlemen gp1 seat and it did not fit...ordered from revzilla.com as they were the only one that would ship to Norway... . The bracket in the back for te fastening bolt was way too long. Removed it and made new holes and riveted it back on. Now i can get te seat to fit the bike, but no way in **** I'll get the passenger seat/cover back on. The Saddlemen seat is way higher than the original and makes it impossible to slip the passenger seat/cover into its lock... anyone experienced similar issues??
Tried to contact revzilla but they say 30day return policy.. and Thats less than just shipping time to norway.....

Jr
I shop Revzilla a lot, but I'm in the US and they have been great for returns. I would expect the 30 day to start when you receive the product, but I haven't read the details of the policy. Still, a phone call explaining the situation couldn't hurt. I guess if you have already modified it, that would be a deal breaker.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've sent them some photos and info, waiting for reply...
But does it help if they send me another one? The problem is still there if they send me an exact same seat? I cant belive thr production vary that much from seat to seat? Unless its made in some shed in a backyard... nobody else had the same issues?
I really like the look and feel of the seat so i hope it works out somehow..

Jr

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Contact saddleman....someone else on this forum had a similar issue and they sent him a new seat free that fit......i think there is a batch out there that is the wrong size

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm the one that had a problem with the seat. I seems to remember that the replacement one had exactly the same issue so, since i already had modified the first one, I returned the 2nd one for a full refund and ended up with a free seat.
The seat is a little thicker than the factory but I just needed to push down the passenger seat a little harder to make it latch, so that was not an issue

·
Registered
980 Posts
I had to really force mine towards the front of the bike to get it to fit. I think there is just more/thicker material where the seat meets the tank and it fits tighter. I suspect if you just work with it and push on it hard enough it will fit. Subsequent fittings are a little easier.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had to really force mine towards the front of the bike to get it to fit. I think there is just more/thicker material where the seat meets the tank and it fits tighter. I suspect if you just work with it and push on it hard enough it will fit. Subsequent fittings are a little easier.
I've tried to push it all i could towards the tank, but still i'm missing 2-3cm to get the passenger seet past the other.
Maybe i will be able to squeeze it through with massive force and cursing, but then I don't know how easy it is to take it off later. I usually have som stuff (sunglasses etc.) under the cover, and if it is pain in the ass to get it on and off......well that sucks:|

a shame that this didn't fit straight on:(

·
Registered
980 Posts
Apparently manufacturing variances sometimes add up instead of cancelling out. While most after-market accessories do just fit right on, I've found sometimes you have to get creative.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts