GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Two weeks owner. Loving it.

Just joined forum. Gonna have a butchers, then I’ll join in the shenanigans.

Hello again.

Ian.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Hi Ian,
Yes Welcome, and by all means have a good look around here and feel free to join in the discussions.
It's helpful to everyone if you could please check back into the Account area (Forum Jump, then User Control Panel, bottom left of screen area) and nominate your Country for the wider World to see in the slotted field.

Rob.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I had to google what "Gonna have a butchers" meant. This forum is always teaching me something new.
Do people still use that phrase "...and Bob's you're Uncle"? That always cracked me up. Great saying.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Froggy, I gave you non Aussies a deliberate subtle translation in my post "by all means have a good look around here" = Butchers.
Butcher Shop, is where it comes from. Go in a stare at the meat for a minute while you make you mind up vs displayed cost of the item while the Butcher stares back at you making small talk.

It would have been more clearer if the OP had said "Gonna have a Captain Cook", rhyming slang for " Gonna have a Look". Capt Cook explored the Pacific and the east coast of Australia and New Zealand in the 18th Century.
Unfortunately, rhyming slang has disappeared around here because of reprogramming of our Children's mind's with American English through TV and American TV ad's.
An awful lot of our TV ad's are UK or US production with a overlay of local script due to our Gov. capitulation in Free Trade Agreements and back door deals.

Uncle Rob, (he's your Uncle too).

·
Registered
524 Posts
That Captain Cook guy got around! I used to live in Washington State (USA) and he explored a lot of that area. Then I was on the big island of Hawaii (called...Hawaii) and he apparently did some poking around in those parts, too. Sadly, the Hawaiians weren't impressed and killed the poor man. I can only imagine all the places he saw in his lifetime. So, having a Captain Cook (look around) really makes sense to me.
https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/captain-cook-killed-in-hawaii

1 - 12 of 12 Posts