GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Suzuki GSX-S1000FZ ABS
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Took advantage of the warm weather Christmas day. I went for a ride to a place we call Clear Creek in Nunsuch Ky.
It has a one way metal bridge over a creek. We've always wanted to ride out the top of the road, but didn't now how, so I looked on the map and found the way. Off I went. The ride went very well, got to see some new roads I've not rode on. SWEET!! Stopped at the bridge (Like always) So I headed out the top, very sharp curve road. Finished the ride and started heading home. About 8 miles from home, run into a few young riders enjoying the weather also, moving pretty fast. I said WTH, and took off after them. Light caught them as I was coming up on them. One on Gixer 750 newer model, the other had an extended swingarm unknown size. The 750 takes off, (I said WTH) and took off after him. Caught and passed him at way over the speed limit. Once I passed him I shut her down and slowed down. I saw his bike acting funny, and he pulls over fast!! I turned around and went to see if I could help? OMG his valve stem broke in half and caused a flat!! We were very lucky it just didn't blow out. It looked like a new tire also.
This could had been very ugly if it had blown at our speeds. Sure glad my guardian angel was watching out for us!!
(I sure have been keeping her busy of late, and I need to stop it for a while, before she goes on holiday or something!)

Was wondering if anyone else ever had this happened or heard of it. Been riding since 82, and never seen nor heard anything like this happening, have you?? Once we unloaded his bike I heard his friend say, that they has ordered another valve stem in Blue and L shape for easy air access, could those type of stems brake at hi speeds??

I've had slow leaks at the valve stem but never broken in half, also I've always used the rubber type.

·
Registered
791 Posts
As I was reading your post the first thing I thought was I bet it's a angled valve stem.
I saw something about not using then on high speed bikes?
But that's likes years ago.
Anyhow glad All are Well.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I find the valve stems on my trailer wheels eventually leak when the rubber cracks where it meets the rim. I put this down to the fact they stick out at an angle, and this causes stress when spinning.

I had a rear valve on a bike leak for a few weeks unbeknownst to me, thinking it was the rim not sealed properly. I rode it numerous times at high speeds and it was only when I used an air pump I realized the valve was flexing and leaking. If it had been an L shaped valve I believe it would have come off because of its angle.

I personally wouldn’t put an L shaped valve on my tire.

·
Registered
Suzuki GSX-S 1000
537 Posts
I'm fairly confident (& could be wrong) angled valve stems are used on Moto gp bikes , considerably higher speeds than any of us ever travel at

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I'm fairly confident (& could be wrong) angled valve stems are used on Moto gp bikes , considerably higher speeds than any of us ever travel at
Yep!
and just like anything, it depends on the quality. Cheep aftermarket stuff and your pushing your luck. My tire fitter changes valve stems with every tyre fitted, personally I think that's a bit over the top but standard ones are pretty cheep so I never complain.

·
Registered
2016 f
431 Posts
i bought a set of those angled ones, brass if i recall, keep forgetting to get them installed when im getting tyres fitted

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was reading on an Ducati web site that either AMA or AMF have outlawed them. Some racing menu, can't remember which one.

Reactions: Gixis1k

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
It could have been aftermarket valve stem cap or pressure monitor too. I wouldn't want to put any extra weight on a rubber valve stem. ...but that's just me. ;)

·
Registered
Suzuki GSX-S 1000
537 Posts
its not difficult to pump the tyres at all but 2500 miles ago i put one on the front
ok so far 🤷🏾‍♂️

·
Registered
337 Posts
The cheap angled valve stems are dangerous. Most are sand-casted and are prone to fracture, which is likely what the rider experienced. The more expensive CNC machined stems are reliable, though. I've been using the MOTO-D stems for years, on the track and street, with no issues at all.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A friend and I went back to clear cleek the other day, and while leaving his neighborhood, I was about to run over this, but was able turn and just clip it. BIG a-- screw!!! I turned around and picked it up and disposed of it properly.
Goes to show, you just never know. I'm in a habit of looking at the ground around me while riding. Seen some wild stuff on the roads!! If able to go back I normally do. Be safe out there!!
Car Wheel Photograph Tire Sky

·
Registered
40 Posts
BMW uses angled stems (they're metal, not rubber like those straight ones you describe) on their bikes. I've been riding an S1000RR since 2013, with angled BMW-installed stems. Not exactly a slow bike.

Just saying...

And in fact, if I do buy a GSXS 1000GT, it'll get Moto-D angled stems right away. So much easier to check pressure and add air...

·
Registered
342 Posts
From what I’m reading it seems that when you mount the L stem you need to loctite, otherwise it can come lose and expel air.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts