GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Background:
At the track, on the long straight, I was only pulling a few meters on a cbr600rr with full exhaust and pcV+auto tune. Ok Cbr has less weight but only dynoed at 122hp. Is the extra weight and aerodynamic drag slowing me down that much? Or is this in need of some serious HP improvements?

So in short:
I'm collecting ideas and making a plan to improve hp and wanted some advice how to do this right.

Currently have a pcV with default map on
Want to add:
-M4 full exhaust (-11lbs and +9hp) http://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/m4-exhaust-suzuki-gsx-s1000-f-2016-gp-mount-full-exhaust-system/
-auto tune
-small racing windshield to help even a bit
-quick shifter

What about intake? Timing retard eliminator? Cams? Exhaust servo eliminator?
Other changes??

·
Registered
371 Posts
Full exhaust will help your top end (M4 or arrow).

TRE (or an ECU reflash) will only help the first 3 gears.

I think most of it is aero drag. You are making way more power than a cbr600rr and actually weigh almost the same. Are you shifting at or near redline?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Having owned a cbr600rr I know they are seriously fast bikes for what they are, maybe only 122 or whatever but they feel a whole lot quicker, handle awesome. They also rev a lot higher.
Maybe he had messed with the sprockets aswell.
I had a fireblade after the 600rr and it was never as quick anywhere except a straight road and even then there wasn't much in it tbh.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
One tooth off the front & two teeth on the rear sprockets
Cheapest way to gain horsepower known to man :)

·
Registered
217 Posts
one tooth off the front & two teeth on the rear sprockets
cheapest way to gain horsepower known to man :)

yes!! Agreed!!! :d

·
Registered
86 Posts
Full exhaust will help your top end (M4 or arrow).

TRE (or an ECU reflash) will only help the first 3 gears.

I think most of it is aero drag. You are making way more power than a cbr600rr and actually weigh almost the same. Are you shifting at or near redline?
Reflashed ecu should include eliminating the closure of the secondary butterflies at high rpm and addition of a few degrees of timing, both equal hp.

·
Registered
76 Posts
For me this bike has more than enough power for any road, some people buy a bike then spend too much trying to turn it into something it isn't. As was said previously, if you want more buy a full fat litre sportsbike.:)

·
Registered
974 Posts
A guy here in Australia recently spent $14000 and got almost 190hp out of one, that takes the bike value to about $28000, i bet he could sell it for $15000 now but it would be fun :)

·
Registered
451 Posts
You knwo what would have been interesting to know?

I suspect the cbr appeared faster than you, or as fast, because he carried more corner speed than you.

The British magazine, Fast bikes, keeps a running list of track times for every motorcycle they test.

One time that comes to mind is that the Triumph 675r is slightly faster than their CBR1000rr sp edition. Obviously, the Honda has 60 more hp. Even weight is not that much different. Suspension would be similar, too.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Yes, when sorting my old bikes for the track the biggest difference to my lap times were:

* Dropping some of my own weight
* Slicks
* Suspension built and set-up for me by a pro

If you're after power, however, this engine has plenty of history being turbocharged... <evil grin>

Reactions: sangedegsx
1 - 12 of 12 Posts