GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several reviewers on this forum have commented that the Gixxus factory seat gets to be a pain after an hour or two. Not surprising, as factory seats for most brands are built to a cost figure, to fit all butts and all riding styles. There is a solution that works very well; however, it is neither easy nor cheap.
Following you will see a photo of the Russell Sport Saddle on my GSX-R1000F. The reason it’s on a Gixxer instead of a Gixxus F is because Suzuki refuses to sell me one. (A problem with living in the colonies.)
In June this year I did 3,000 miles in 6 days, almost all on two lane secondary roads. Those were long days in the saddle. In August, I did 2,000 miles in 4 days, almost all at temps greater than 90 deg. I do not remember ever thinking about my arse or the seat (could be Alzheimer’s). I am not an Iron Butt candidate; previous factory and aftermarket seats would have me standing on the pegs by the end of the second day.
The reason buying a Russell Day-Long seat is not easy, is that you have to send them your seat pan. On older bikes this is no problem as you buy a salvage seat off ebay to send them while you continue to enjoy your toy. The Gixxus is so new; there are probably no used seats available for cheap. For you chaps in UK/Euro the freight and timing would also be an issue. I usually spend about $500US for a Russell saddle. I have four now, plus others on sold bikes. Even my little DR650SM, which is just a screw around bike, has a Russell seat.
This post is starting to sound like an info-mercial. I have no connection to Russell except that they bang my credit card every time I buy a bike. If you are going to use your Gixxus F for actual touring, your bum will appreciate this upgrade.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ackack:
All of mine are black leather. See their web site. I think you can have colors, different materials and embroidery. I don't really care how they look. It's how I feel on day three of a seven day ride.
TTNorth:
Just trying to help the guys who want a more comfortable long distance ride. No spam. No BS.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Ehm.... I'm sorry to tell this...but that seat is horrible! :|
I have never understood the people that buy a sport bike and want the maximum confort....
However I don't know what kind of sofà you have driven before, but IMAHO this bike has a very comfortable seat for a sport bike.... And all the reviews that I have read say the same thing.
Every saturday I go out on bike for ride about of 300/350 miles with hours and hours of no stop... But my butt is ok...
When the pain comes stop yourself for a cigarette or a toilet or looks the landscape... Is surely better than mount this crazy seat that breaks my heart ;)

·
Registered
282 Posts
I can't argue on the qualities of this seat, but looks are zero..,,never on my sexy Suzy!

·
Registered
538 Posts
That's absolutely vile.
Surely you could make one that looks less stupid but still comfy.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
541 Posts
...wow, that is, uh, something else. Gotta say though, I'm not generally too concerned about aesthetics, what I can't see when I'm riding, I don't care about too much. More than the, well, I'll say it, hideous appearance, I just can't see spending $500 on a seat.

·
Registered
355 Posts
If you want comfort on a long haul without spending $$$$ on a custom seat, an Airhawk pad is the answer. I used a 9"X 11" Airhawk which is actually a pillion pad for the last Iron Butt 1000 miles in under 24 hours ride on my Street Triple. That's a pretty good test of any comfort aid and it came through with flying colours. The secret is only to put about half a breath of air in them.

They don't look super-cool but they do the business and can be unclipped in seconds when you don't need them for shorter journeys. From memory, my size was about US$130.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have heard that the air hawks do work and work well though they don't appeal to the more fashion conscious among us.

Hadn't seen those moto-skivees before, they look like they would do the job. I have had a pair of Klim tactical shorts for about 4 years. They sure do help and have lasted, still look good (well they look like some super weird undies but you know what I mean). I'll go a Saddlemen GP-V1 and my super weird undies should keep me comfy and still have good grip on the seat.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Also found the seat to be uncomfortable at long distance and i start to feel the vibrations a lot more. i had my seat re padded on the inside. they just take off the plastic covering and insert a padding of about 1 cm when compressed, and put the original covering back on. it still looks the same without worrying about anything extra loaded onto the bike

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Fugly.
Buy some of these Home - Moto-Skiveez and save our eyes.
Interesting. At first glance I thought they would be really hot to wear but according to one of the reviews they aren't. Who's going to be the first to buy some and write a review? No need to post any pictures modelling them, We'll take your word for it;)
:laugh:

·
Registered
61 Posts
I use bicycle pants on longer rides all the time. They add enough cushion in the right places for me. Did an 8 hour ride yesterday with stock seat and bike shorts, was fine except for the knee getting stiff. Happens to old guys...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Can't use bike pants for commuting, 99.9% of my riding. Who cares what it looks like. The Russel looks beautiful for the support on the perimeter.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts