GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

As you may know, I unfortunately wrecked my first bike. That machine was bought in Ohio late in 2016, with VIN ending in 645, and had approximately 4500 miles at the time of loss. It had the typical slight vibration from 5500-6500rpm but certainly nothing to complain or worry about. I did install a Throttle Tamer after a few thousand miles, and was planning on a full ECU tune to help smooth out the throttle. I didn't think it had a 'snatch' problem at first, but it started to become apparent when I moved to Canyon Country and was wringing the bike out (to the best of my ability) in tighter turns. I don't think I'd call it a problem, but I just wanted smoother throttle response.

I bought my second bike in California in early 2017. The VIN is the exact same except it ends in 712, and it now has just under 3,000 miles. I know the new bike is E33 because I saw the E33 additional parts when I did the 600 mile service (extra hoses off throttle body, etc). At low or on/off throttle, this bike almost feels like it has a throttle tamer pre-installed. However the 4500rpm 'fuel cut' is a more noticeable. It is 'smoother', to the point that it feels a little less exciting and fun. It even feels a little like the first power peak has been mellowed down, and the second one comes on a little later.

This bike has annoying vibration at most RPMs, and its the worst from 6000-7500 (higher peak RPM range). The right side of the wind screen vibrates at idle, as does the right mirror. The vibration is felt in the bars, the seat, the tank, etc. It's not horrible throughout most of the range and I can certainly live with it, but it does feel 'bad' and bothersome at 6,000-7500 rpm.

I think these differences are probably 'subtle but noticeable' - I clearly notice them, but could imagine others saying they don't notice it, or could imagine the dealership saying 'they're all the same.' For me, it's enough to do some research, spend some time (and money) with a manometer, per the 600 mile service instructions, and possibly still get a tune if that doesn't solve it. But for this bike, I feel like the tune is more for power/performance, whereas the other bike it was about smoothness/control.

I wonder how much of this is due to the E33 parts (different ECU, extra air/fuel hoses, etc). Is there any way to find out if the first bike (645) was E33 without being able to look at it? Does Suzuki send non-E33 bikes to other states? E33 is California and Europe I believe - so I wonder how much this has biased conversations about the ECU and vibrations and whether or not people notice 'problems'.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It seems crazy (expensive) to make 2 different bikes for the US, so I wouldn't be surprised if they all were E33.

I looked for part numbers that were different for E33. The throttle body is one, and there is a second set of vacuum hoses for the E33 throttle body. You can easily see the second set when you have the right side fairing off.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
US 49 State is E03 and Californication is E33.
The US Suzuki www Spec page refers to 2 variants in regard to weight. The different one is called 'CA' which is 1 KG heavier. I can't see any other references.
I am assuming CA is California, rather than Canada which is when I think of CA.

Europa doesn't have or get E33 as listed in the worldwide Suzuki Area Code listings, but there is always the person who tours abroad with his shipped over bike and dumps the bike before going home.
There would be no reason why Suzuki couldn't just sell California models across all the States if it's now too hard just to stuff around anymore with the smaller sales now in first world Countries.

Rob.

·
Registered
640 Posts
The difference (from my understanding) is just a fuel vapor canister and some hoses. Performance should not be affected, except some weight. It wouldn't be shocking if all or many US bikes were 50 state e33 bikes.

·
Registered
86 Posts
This bike has annoying vibration at most RPMs, and its the worst from 6000-7500 (higher peak RPM range). The right side of the wind screen vibrates at idle, as does the right mirror. The vibration is felt in the bars, the seat, the tank, etc. It's not horrible throughout most of the range and I can certainly live with it, but it does feel 'bad' and bothersome at 6,000-7500 rpm.
Hi Joe,

This is the same as my 2017. Strange its the right hand side. My engine was really bad between 6k and 7k. I've put it down to the R&G crash bungs. The instructions says tighten to 40NM, which may not be enough as the originals need 55NM

Do you have engine bungs fitted?

·
Registered
28 Posts
My 2016 is same as you describe. I was talking to suzuki and they suggested some dealer monkeys play with it. I have been doing this a long time and it is, what it is. Enjoy these cheap, fun, little bikes. Worth every penny

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Life has been busy and I haven't had time to prioritize the bike or this forum in awhile. I've done the bare minimum for maintenance and am just now about to start a throttle body sync. I'll let you all know how it goes.

I've got the bike opened up but did n't realize I don't have an oil filter, so I need to finish the oil change first. And I need to figure out what I'm going to do for vacuum gauges - deal with a single gauge (repeating measurements), buy a set, borrow a set, etc.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My 2016 is same as you describe. I was talking to suzuki and they suggested some dealer monkeys play with it. I have been doing this a long time and it is, what it is. Enjoy these cheap, fun, little bikes. Worth every penny
I understand that. If I hadn't had a smoother bike before this it would probably be easier to accept. But my first 2016 was very smooth except for ~1000 rpm around 6000.

This second bike really seems to have less power down low, too. The last one could make the hair on the back of my neck stand up at 4-5000 rpm, and again at 8-9000 rpm. This one only seems to have the second 'hump'.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Joe,

This is the same as my 2017. Strange its the right hand side. My engine was really bad between 6k and 7k. I've put it down to the R&G crash bungs. The instructions says tighten to 40NM, which may not be enough as the originals need 55NM

Do you have engine bungs fitted?
I do have engine bungs fitted. But I had the R&G on my first bike with no vibration issues. I checked engine bolt torque last night and everything was good - I had different bungs on this bike but still had them torqued to the manual spec.

I found a local friend with a Carb-Tune tool so I should get the TB sync done today.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's much better!

I got a late start so I didn't have as much time as I wanted to be thorough (I was in an apartment garage and wasn't comfortable holding at revs). It needed a small adjustment at idle - the left side pressure was a little lower, but only about 1 unit of measure (I don't know what the units are - the range was about 22.5-23.5.) With throttle the right side cylinder seems to pull more pressure quicker, so I detuned it a little.

No more vibration in the wind screen. At 5,000 rpm it felt like something was wrong because it was so smooth, LOL. Even at 6-7000 rpm the vibration is minor, but I think I can make it go away even more.

The vibrations have been a real block for me, not wanting to ride as much and not riding as care free. It wasn't a huge problem but vibrations bother me a lot since I've had a few old bikes that shook a lot. I particularly didn't get the Kawasaki because of the reports of slight buzz. Now I'm pretty happy again :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
The right side of the wind screen vibrates at idle, as does the right mirror. The vibration is felt in the bars, the seat, the tank, etc.
I mentioned back a few months ago my F had this weird vibration on the right side of the screen at idle. Well it's gone at 4500 miles, i don't know when it exactly stopped but noticed it yesterday.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
After second attempt at TB sync, the bike won't run with all sensors plugged in. It's a minor annoyance and I'll fix it. For now I'm running in 'limp mode' I guess, w/ check engine light on and sensors unplugged.

But, the bike runs like a freaking raped ape! It sounds amazing, pulls even more amazing, and just thinking about it makes me want to get off this **** computer and go ride it. See ya!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts