GSXS 1000 Forum banner

Service reminder reset?

26K views 100 replies 35 participants last post by  mkr1966 
#1 ·
The plug is different than the older bikes and do not think a paper clip trick to jump will work if so which pin holes to use? Not buying $100 switch tool to do this every oil change. They could have just left well enough alone on the plug type. Trying to force you to a dealer. Mine will just have to flash the service reminder at start up and show the stupid wrench.

#15 ·
Is that the connector under the back seat that goes to nothing?

#17 ·
Cool. I figured that was a diagnostic connector.

#18 ·
For those looking this up now, bridging the pins on my 2022 didn't seem to work. On mine it was the top left and bottom right that had to be bridged. Also, I did connect an OBDII tool to it, and when I tried to reset the oil change readout it just told me that the ECM didn't support that function. So, I get to keep a little piece of wire for this purpose now.

#30 ·
For those looking this up now, bridging the pins on my 2022 didn't seem to work. On mine it was the top left and bottom right that had to be bridged.
I just changed my '22 GT's oil (finally) and the above was exactly what I experienced with the reset. Nothing happened with the top two outer pins so I tried the top left and bottom right then it worked fine.
I'm wondering if some bikes aren't pinned correctly? Anyone care to share a photo of the wire colors? I can as well when I go back out there.

...You'll find the connector under the driver's seat towards the right side of the machine....
...I hope this helps. If I have anything wrong, please jump in and correct.
Thanks for the writeup. Just FYI, my connector is under the passenger seat, not the driver seat.

#19 ·
It’s the top left and right pins with the latching part at the 12 oclock position. You have to be in the service menu with the ignition on. I did it with a piece of wire.
Vehicle Plant Motor vehicle Automotive design Steering wheel

#22 ·
Just did my 1st service on my 2022. With the ignition on, engine off, in the service menu. Jumpering the upper left and upper right as above enabled a "reset" option which allows a next service date/mileage to be set. It took a couple tries to get the jumper wire to contact- I didn't want to damage the contacts with a paperclip so used small stranded wire.

Oh yea and somebody tell Suzuki to not put their filters on so tight... both my wrenches slipped so I had to punch thru the old filter with a screwdriver.

#29 ·
I order mine as well the other day .. due in the end of October
Is there a how to use it for the nekked S somewhere?

I can give a rough "how to." Not near the bike, so I can't do photos nor confirm exact steps.

You'll find the connector under the driver's seat towards the right side of the machine. It's a red plug that sits in a holder. I use a flathead screwdriver to unseat it. (if you're looking back at the plug, it'll be the left side (but actual right side of the motorcycle) hope this makes sense)

After unseating the plug, turn the ignition on. Hold the UP arrow on the left side controls. You will see a menu pop up. Scroll up to highlight SERVICE, then hold the DOWN button. Now, you're in the service menu. You can plug your new connector into the red plug and it will allow you to reset service settings and see any FI codes that may be present.

I hope this helps. If I have anything wrong, please jump in and correct.

#37 ·
I'd pay $ for a pdf instead of the printed copy, even after having bought the paper version. I bought the legal manual, taken apart the binding, punched it and reassembled in a binder with all kinds of organization and after all that done its still a pita. I'd toss it right in the trash if I had a reasonable pdf replacement.

#50 ·
I was resetting the service reminder and made a bone head move throwing a code. Anyone happen to know how I could clear this or do I need to go to the dealer with my tail between my legs? Or buy the factory tool (not knowing how much it is either). I did end up doing the reset correctly but I’m so mad at myself. Any help is great appreciated.

Attachments

#51 · (Edited)
If I understand the service manual properly, if this is a transient fault then it should clear the 3rd time you start up the engine and then turn off the ignition.

If the code persists, the 09930-83130 tool (switch on a wire w/ connector which mates with the diagnostic connector) can be used to indicate the code; it can be replicated with a jumper wire but I've not figured out which pins on the gsx connector to use yet.