GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I want a little advise please, my bike is a 2017 with 4K miles, I have changed oil and filter a couple of times as well as dealer doing a service but only a small service( needed this to keep warranty). Bike is out out warranty now. Service manual says next service is full, so replace spark plugs and air filter, but my bike is way down on miles stated in manual, and my bike shop wants around £250 to do this service, and money is a little tight at moment

My question is, would it need spark plugs and air filter at 4,000 dry miles ? Or would another oil and filter be ok ? Not that confident about removing fairings (F version) and changing plugs and filter. Your advise would be very helpful

·
Registered
698 Posts
Fairings are a bit tricky to pull at first, but after a couple times, they can be removed in just a few minutes. Just take your time and pay attention to where all the push pins and bolts go.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I agree.
Oil and filter only should be fine. I had my plugs changed at 15k miles and they still looked like new. Also all the shims were still in spec. It’s a pretty good engine in these beasties

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I agree.
Oil and filter only should be fine. I had my plugs changed at 15k miles and they still looked like new. Also all the shims were still in spec. It’s a pretty good engine in these beasties

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thats the performance im talking about not always about the dyno

·
Registered
57 Posts
Where did you read in service manual that plugs and air filter has to be changed at 4k miles???

The owner manual says on the maintenance schedule: spark plugs replacement every 12K miles, and air filter, every 18K miles......and considering the spark plugs are Iridium,..very resilient... that is very conservative.

........and when is time, I would do it myself, .......it is part of the thrill, and getting intimate with the machine and its private parts…..would not let a dealer mechanic even touch it.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Handbook states different schedules
For Europe and Oceania countries
and everywhere else. Go figure.:confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Where did you read in service manual that plugs and air filter has to be changed at 4k miles???

The owner manual says on the maintenance schedule: spark plugs replacement every 12K miles, and air filter, every 18K miles......and considering the spark plugs are Iridium,..very resilient... that is very conservative.

........and when is time, I would do it myself, .......it is part of the thrill, and getting intimate with the machine and its private parts…..would not let a dealer mechanic even touch it.
Sorry perhaps I didn’t explain correctly. It say mileage or time, that was my concern. I will never do the mileage But at 36 months or 18k I think it’s says change them, Your right I will change them myself when they are due, But I think that’s a while away yet judging by everyone’s response

·
Registered
452 Posts
Hi all. One final question. Am I better with fully synthetic oil ? Thanks in advance
NO, NEVER ASK WHAT OIL TO RUN. lol

I have run both and I can’t tell too much difference. Regular oil seems to grab differently than synthetic but I have never had slippage with either. I ran rotella t-6 in my hayabusa for years without issue and it had 80k on it when I sold it. Never used oil and was clean as a pin inside as well. Run what you like and don’t worry about it, oil is so much better today than 20 years ago.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Hi all. One final question. Am I better with fully synthetic oil ? Thanks in advance
NO, NEVER ASK WHAT OIL TO RUN. lol

I have run both and I can’t tell too much difference. Regular oil seems to grab differently than synthetic but I have never had slippage with either. I ran rotella t-6 in my hayabusa for years without issue and it had 80k on it when I sold it. Never used oil and was clean as a pin inside as well. Run what you like and don’t worry about it, oil is so much better today than 20 years ago.
Buuuuuuuut.... which oil do I run? 😄

·
Registered
383 Posts
What intervals are recommended for synthetic? 6 months, 6000 miles?

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
194 Posts
have you got a manual? Youtube? access to a million websites that allow bike specific searches? ;)

Fully synthetic & depending on where you live or the conditions you ride in 10w40 is fine , if you live somewhere **** hot in the summer 10w50. or **** cold 10w30

the wider this number the more consistent the viscosity from one temp extreme to the other , so a 0w60 would be ideal , totally overkill & probably stupidly expensive

5w minus 30
10w minus 20
15w minus 15
20w minus 10

the latter number is the degrees youll be riding in at max 30 / 40 / 50

this is my understanding so far (I am NOT an expert)

·
Registered
194 Posts
What intervals are recommended for synthetic? 6 months, 6000 miles?

3-3.5k & stick to it ! You'll be thankful in the end! I'll be doing it every 3000miles but I ride in ALL conditions ALL year round in overly Wet never Sunny England

·
Registered
690 Posts
have you got a manual? Youtube? access to a million websites that allow bike specific searches? /forum/images/DiscoverySport_net/smilies/tango_face_wink.png

Fully synthetic & depending on where you live or the conditions you ride in 10w40 is fine , if you live somewhere **** hot in the summer 10w50. or **** cold 10w30

the wider this number the more consistent the viscosity from one temp extreme to the other , so a 0w60 would be ideal , totally overkill & probably stupidly expensive

5w minus 30
10w minus 20
15w minus 15
20w minus 10

the latter number is the degrees youll be riding in at max 30 / 40 / 50

this is my understanding so far (I am NOT an expert)
Your sarcasm detector broken? Better get it checked.
P.s. I know more about the bike than you. I am an expert

·
Registered
383 Posts
3-3.5k & stick to it ! You'll be thankful in the end! I'll be doing it every 3000miles but I ride in ALL conditions ALL year round in overly Wet never Sunny England
I don't ride nearly enough to meet the mileage limit. Mainly asking for the time duration. Don't really see much info on that online. I just assume it would be close to double that of mineral.

Just did my second oil change with Motul 7100 after 5 months. Oil still looked pretty good, TBH. Probably could've waited a couple more months. Swapped from K&N to Hiflofiltro to save a few bucks, didn't realize it was missing the nut. I think I'll be doing filter change every other oil change from now on.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts