GSXS 1000 Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I am a believer in using a base mineral oil if you are like me, just a plonker riding smoothly on the back roads.
But if your a track junkie racer type, and really stressing the top end with rev's , go synthetic and change more often.
Synthetic for me, and probably for a few here, is a lot lot more than what's needed in their motor.
Your just wasting money, slowing down the break in of the parts of a modern motor if used under 20, 000 km.

Just don't be sucked in by the emotional blackmail type of TV advertising like used by in 1980's by Castrol, "Oils ain't oils, Sol".

Rob.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I don't ride nearly enough to meet the mileage limit. Mainly asking for the time duration. Don't really see much info on that online. I just assume it would be close to double that of mineral.

Just did my second oil change with Motul 7100 after 5 months. Oil still looked pretty good, TBH. Probably could've waited a couple more months. Swapped from K&N to Hiflofiltro to save a few bucks, didn't realize it was missing the nut. I think I'll be doing filter change every other oil change from now on.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

interestingly K & N filters are made by HiFlo

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
interestingly K & N filters are made by HiFlo
Wrong. They used to be, but from what I've read, K&N decided to find a cheaper supplier and consequently had some horrible mishaps on the track.
HiFlo is still the best and K&N I wouldn't touch.

·
Registered
194 Posts
agree , I wouldn't use k & n if you paid me.

Mann & Humel is a gooden too, seen many of these fikter comparison videos

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Those filters with the nut have a terrible history of leaking and blowing apart. I wouldn't touch one with a 100ft pole.
There is a history of K&N blowing apart after they quite using HiFlo. The nut would never be a problem unless some moron over-torqued it putting the filter ON. That's why I do my own oil changes. ;)
If you have evidence to the contrary, I'd love to see it, because I find the nut really convenient on the F.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts