GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike has had a decat replacement pipe fitted removing the cat and the large heavy muffler, but I left the SET Valve in place. I later removed the servo with the spring holding the valve open.

25,000 km later on a fast Sunday ride, suddenly the bike wouldn't rev past 5000RPM and it developed an horrendous rattle. I checked the set valve but it seemed ok. When i got the bike back I checked more thoroughly, the noise was definitely coming from the exhaust (very relieved it wasn't a blown engine)

We ended up removing the exhaust and cutting it apart at the valve to find that the shaft of the SET Valve had separated from the plate and the plate was rattling around in the exhaust at low rpm and when it got to about 5000 RPM the valve was almost completely blocking the exhaust. Valve now totally removed, so I recommend for anyone doing a decat to remove the SET valve

·
Registered
305 Posts
it's black but hardly any build up, I would.assume stock would be worse
It looks very "fouled".
Glazed carbon buildup due to repeated exposure for high exhaust temps (your top speed test/drag-races with your RR-friends) :D

I have checked my stock exhaust/SET, and it looks *shining clean*, as it should when running closed loop most of the time.

From previous posts I know you have tuned it rich from idle and up, and then this result is to expect.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
It looks very "fouled".
Glazed carbon buildup due to repeated exposure for high exhaust temps (your top speed test/drag-races with your RR-friends) :D

I have checked my stock exhaust/SET, and it looks *shining clean*, as it should when running closed loop most of the time.

From previous posts I know you have tuned it rich from idle and up, and then this result is to expect.
i kinda ask questions i know the answers to.......if i rub my finger around my exhaust its clean no soot at all ,,so inside will be clean also.....runs clean some will say hot ..well thats ok......rich is cooler untill the carbon build up starts glowing like coal....so richer is not always cooler

1 - 7 of 7 Posts