GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Why in owner's manual there is a shifting table for Canada? Are their bikes that different that let's say bikes have to shift differently?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk IMG_3003.jpg

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Interesting. Is that for normal riding or is it minimum suggested speeds for the breaking in period?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting. Is that for normal riding or is it minimum suggested speeds for the breaking in period?

I believe for normal riding to achieve smooth shifting. I've been using it for past week in urban environment and bike feels very subtle and controllable. 🤷*♀

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
It's also about the same as what I use when commuting to work through the traffic and around town.
When there is less traffic or I'm on the open road it all goes up a bit0:)

·
Registered
371 Posts
Shifting into 2nd at 1700 RPM, now you're at 1360 RPM
into 3rd at 2200 RPM, now you're at ~1800 RPM
into 4th at 2400 RPM, now you're at ~2100 RPM
into 5th at 2600 RPM, now you're at ~2300 RPM
into 6th at 2800 RPM, now you're at ~2600 RPM

That's using the gear ratios on the GSX-S, not numbers I made up.

Are you guys nuts? The engine should not be run this low. Bare minimum to avoid lugging it should be around 3000 RPM. I try to keep it at 4000 or higher so that I have a little bit of power.

This table was probably made up out of thin air by an intern.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Those are probably the speeds to achieve the advertised fuel economy and emissions levels. Canada has different emissions standards than the US (which is why some bikes sold in Canada have California emissions packages and some don't). So there might be different operating RPM to achieve Canadian standards.

·
Registered
370 Posts
This is the same table used also for GS500F and GSX650F (see user manuals for these two bikes).
Don't see the reason why they put the same table for three different type of bikes (different engine, gear box and clutch).

·
Registered
309 Posts
Shifting into 2nd at 1700 RPM, now you're at 1360 RPM
into 3rd at 2200 RPM, now you're at ~1800 RPM
into 4th at 2400 RPM, now you're at ~2100 RPM
into 5th at 2600 RPM, now you're at ~2300 RPM
into 6th at 2800 RPM, now you're at ~2600 RPM

That's using the gear ratios on the GSX-S, not numbers I made up.

Are you guys nuts? The engine should not be run this low. Bare minimum to avoid lugging it should be around 3000 RPM. I try to keep it at 4000 or higher so that I have a little bit of power.

This table was probably made up out of thin air by an intern.
That's some serious short shifting. That is nuts. Govt has to be involved. I would never ride like that.

·
Registered
974 Posts
This is the same table used also for GS500F and GSX650F (see user manuals for these two bikes).
Don't see the reason why they put the same table for three different type of bikes (different engine, gear box and clutch).

It has been a copy and paste for many years on most models, also the service intervals and run in procedures are the same, a bit slack of Suzuki IMO

1 - 10 of 10 Posts