GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
As long as you do it nicely, there's no issue at all. I rarely used the clutch to upshift my 'Busa. Have used it on the GSXS more as it was brand new, so getting a 1000 k's on it first as the gearbox was quite tight off the showroom floor, but now she slips sweet as a nut.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Is it ok to up-shift without using the clutch? Will it damage the bike in any way?
The key to clutch-less up-shifting is to do it in a way that doesn't put undue stress on the transmission. To do this, you have to take the load off the transmission by slightly reducing the throttle just before pulling up on the shift lever. It is a subtle technique that improves with practice. Of course, a quick shifter will take care of all this for you. In my opinion, clutch-less up-shifting that is performed without reducing the load on the transmission will definitely have an adverse affect on the clutch and transmission over time.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Very nicely put.

The key to clutch-less up-shifting is to do it in a way that doesn't put undue stress on the transmission. To do this, you have to take the load off the transmission by slightly reducing the throttle just before pulling up on the shift lever. It is a subtle technique that improves with practice. Of course, a quick shifter will take care of all this for you. In my opinion, clutch-less up-shifting that is performed without reducing the load on the transmission will definitely have an adverse affect on the clutch and transmission over time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts