GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm using the iOttie and have been very happy with it, but the version I have requires an elastic band to hold the item down...It does allow you to articulate the angle the phone sits at, but that does raise the phone quite a bit higher than the handle bars...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007FHCR20/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_2N0Hwb0WH35W1

There is a new version which I think removes the need for the band and might make the unit a bit lower in profile.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U1GJYRS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_ET0HwbQMWP7RV

As a matter of fact, I might just order up that new version.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I have been looking and trying to come up with mine also the last couple of days and i will post some pics later or tomorrow of some options i am thinking of.
A couple of questions though, do u have a fairing or a naked, are you just wanting to view while riding for the GPS, messages or calls or do u want to mount it to take video footage try to cover both.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
We have a lot more rain here so I've gone for a waterproof one. I'm using this one from Ultimate Addons.

Not the best of pics. When you are sat on the bike you can still see the clocks and it all just pops off and leaves you with a ball joint so it's not too messy.

I've also bought the extension arm which enables me to rotate the phone vertically and take some video.
I've not done any yet but I might put some up after a bit of practice, if it's not too incriminating

·
Registered
299 Posts
All I hear is how dangerous motorcycles are and how everyone knows people that died riding them.

Motorcycles aren't dangerous, they're the safest form of transportation.

It's the operators that are the ones killing themselves.

There should be no distractions when riding. I see people riding and texting or taking pictures with their iPhone just about every day.

And they wonder why they're dying.

But people won't learn. They'll keep riding distracted and getting killed and blaming it on cagers.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I totally agree

Anyone texting whilst driving a car or a bike deserve whatever they get. It's plonkers like that that end up being a statistic which in turn makes the statistics for people like me , who don't do it, even better.That's why I have a hands free kit. My phone acts as a sat nav and it just speaks directions. I have the option of looking or not looking at the screen depending on the situation.
The second main killer on a bike is speed

Thumper said
I did a ride from Naples to Fort Lauderdale on Sunday. 1 1/2 hour straight shot ride on Alligator Alley at speeds between 95 and 120. It was a very turbulent and windy day. About 50 times, the turbulent wind at high speeds caused head shakes. Especially when passing 18 wheelers. Not big ones, but even little ones at 120 in that kind of wind was enough to make me want a damper.
Pot Kettle Black if you ask me>:D How's your glass house?
Maybe you should learn to slow down and lengthen your odds;)

·
Registered
515 Posts
I totally agree

Anyone texting whilst driving a car or a bike deserve whatever they get. It's plonkers like that that end up being a statistic which in turn makes the statistics for people like me , who don't do it, even better.That's why I have a hands free kit. My phone acts as a sat nav and it just speaks directions. I have the option of looking or not looking at the screen depending on the situation.
The second main killer on a bike is speed

Thumper said
Pot Kettle Black if you ask me>:D How's your glass house?
Maybe you should learn to slow down and lengthen your odds;)
All I gotta say is if fiddling around while driving were a big concern then why do governments allow auto manufacturers to add all this info and entertainment stuff to vehicles?

·
Registered
974 Posts
V1
There is Velcro on the back of the phone case also and i will see how this goes, it does sit in the perfect position, it can turn it around so it sits over the head stem but it then covers the Renthal label covering up our bragging rights to have them as standard :)
There are spaces under the plate where the bolt heads go to lift it of the head stem and put longer bolts in.

Nick

Attachments

·
Registered
437 Posts
Personally my phone either lives in my jacket pocket or in my tail bag if it needs power. Ihave a bluetooth headset inbuilt to my agv helmet so it reads txt messages to me and can give sat nav directions. Dont see the need to be able to physically see it. I have my camera mounted up in the bars to see the numbnut cagers and record their piss poor driving, thats more important than being able to see my phone.
JMO

Reactions: tonyt

·
Registered
54 Posts
One of the best thing about this ram mount is just change the connector and walla!! Now i can set my gopro on that. I am more of a visual person so use my cellphone as navigation often when i go riding new places. I just think its more easier for me if my cellphone is in front of me ,it also makes input destination quicker.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hi Junichi, did you tried the Ram mount to the handlebar base? I think it looks neater than the u-bolt mounting.
And what's type of your double socket, short or regular. I planned to buy the short but not sure if it fit.
How fast did you try with the phone mounted?
Here's what i got today in mailbox. Ram x-grip mount

·
Registered
152 Posts
Mine is not how I'd want it exactly, but it's really all I could do with the limited space on this bike. I ride into areas where there is no cell service pretty frequently, so I rely on my GPS for daily nav & custom routes I build, and my phone for music, etc. (Sena Bluetooth).

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Another ram mount here. I used te stem hole to mount mine. Keeps things low and center so it doesnt dustract me or get knock around as much by the wind.
What arm length is that? Looking to pick one of these up, and have options of 60, 90 or 150mm lengths.

·
Registered
141 Posts
my iphone mount is the inside pocket of my jacket, works great to keep me on the road and keep the iphone dry and away from dirt & dust lol

seriously, at first I wanted a mount, plus a new helmet to fit the Sena Bluetooth thing, but then I thought twice and that's about $1000 worth of stuff to kill yourself, the only thing I could see being useful is being able to talk to your backseat rider or other bikes when on longer trips.

going from Point A to Point B, unless you are lost, most of the time you don't need to talk or at least don't need GPS...

if you need to just pull over, check the map, talk to the other riders/passengers, and be on your way safely

1 - 17 of 17 Posts