GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Had my first ride in the dark last night, and I noticed that the side light on the left was on (light pattern on the ground visible) but the right one wasn't. It only came on when the high beam was on. Is that normal ? The manual doesn't say anything about it, and Google wasn't much help either.

Cheers,
Paul.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I'm guessing you have the faired version?
Only one front light comes on in dipped beam and both headlights come on in full beam, some of the guys on here have done a conversion so both lights come on dipped and full beam.

Personally I bought the naked coz its better and doesnt have this issue ;-)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, faired version...I should have said that in hindsight :)

It's not the main beams I'm talking about here. It's the smaller LED (?) running lights on each side of the main beams. They give a bit more of a spread directly in front of the bike..

·
Registered
111 Posts
There was some discussion about this in another thread and it kinda got forgotten about. The faired model does not have LEDS or running lights in the fangs below the headlights(at least none in usa). would be cool if it did, but to my knowledge none of the different world market bikes had running lights there either.
Only some of the international market naked models have running lights on the side of the headlight.
What you're seeing on the road OP is the shape of the reflector from the low beam(left side) hitting the ground. Flick on high beam and the right side lights up there also

Since this has come up again, has anyone added running lights to the F model fangs? I would love to add some dual purpose lights here in the form of running lights/turn signals

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the clarification grisoguy, I thought I was going mad :) I'd read there was side lights and assumed they were there, but it appears not to be the case in Australian models. It would be an interesting project to get some in there, I'll look into it.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
There was some discussion about this in another thread and it kinda got forgotten about. The faired model does not have LEDS or running lights in the fangs below the headlights(at least none in usa). would be cool if it did, but to my knowledge none of the different world market bikes had running lights there either.
Only some of the international market naked models have running lights on the side of the headlight.
What you're seeing on the road OP is the shape of the reflector from the low beam(left side) hitting the ground. Flick on high beam and the right side lights up there also

Since this has come up again, has anyone added running lights to the F model fangs? I would love to add some dual purpose lights here in the form of running lights/turn signals
Is it just US and Australia that don't have the sidelights, we have them in Thailand and i'm fairly sure in Europe too.

I added DRL to mine when i did the projectors and converted the sidelights to indicators. Halos and strip lights

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2abqq3sb264zcc6/20160529_144834.mp4?dl=0

·
Registered
111 Posts
Is it just US and Australia that don't have the sidelights, we have them in Thailand and i'm fairly sure in Europe too.

I added DRL to mine when i did the projectors and converted the sidelights to indicators. Halos and strip lights

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2abqq3sb264zcc6/20160529_144834.mp4?dl=0
Paul, Thanks for clearing that up. I can't see your photos for some reason... Links won't load

Would mind posting a photo of where the bulb is mounted inside the housing for those fang lights? Also where does the connector come from to give that light power?

Surely suzuki wouldnt go through the trouble of making an entirely new housing for US without a socket for that light......right?

·
Registered
2015 GSX-S1000 ABS
1,596 Posts
i can't seem to post photos at the moment, don't know why but worked before. Right click on the icon and open in new tab seems to.work
The dropbox links work ok for me.
However if you are trying to drag&drop pics into your post there is a limit on Pic size and also a limit on total uploads.
If you go to your Control Panel and scroll down to the last but one item at the bottom and click on "attachments" there is a red/green bar that shows how much data you have used.
It took me ages to find out why my pics would not upload. You either have to delete some stuff or maybe upgrade to Premium?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I can see if the links if i "open in new tab". I really want to add the "LED running lights" suzuki is advertising in the lower fangs of the F model
I had my meter side covers off earlier and i can see a small round grey cap located in the area that appears to be right behind the fang reflector area.. is this where a bulb can be mounted?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
The dropbox links work ok for me.
However if you are trying to drag&drop pics into your post there is a limit on Pic size and also a limit on total uploads.
If you go to your Control Panel and scroll down to the last but one item at the bottom and click on "attachments" there is a red/green bar that shows how much data you have used.
It took me ages to find out why my pics would nor upload. You either have to delete some stuff or maybe upgrade to Premium?

Still won't work - I am at my limit, but have been for a long time and dropbox links worked before - cannot upgrade to premium on this forum

·
Registered
161 Posts
I can see if the links if i "open in new tab". I really want to add the "LED running lights" suzuki is advertising in the lower fangs of the F model
I had my meter side covers off earlier and i can see a small round grey cap located in the area that appears to be right behind the fang reflector area.. is this where a bulb can be mounted?

are talking about this?

·
Registered
111 Posts
There are no external connectors for the fangs, they are wired internally and connected in parallel with the low beam headlight.

I'll add photos when I'm home, but its a pcb mount LED not a bulb style LED
Appreciate the help Paul!
So it sounds like adding lights here might be more difficult..
Unless suzuki was smart and shipped the US headlights with the hardware already installed.

·
Registered
111 Posts
If you want to add the original lit up fangs, i have 2 spare boards (and reflectors if needed) that i could send to you
How do they mount inside the housing?

My plan is to make them dual purpose so that they are white for running lights and then turn yellow with the turn signals
To start i would be happy with just getting them to light up

·
Registered
179 Posts
Having these 2 as DRL and shut off the right led day time would indeed be really nice!

Though... the other side of my brain is telling me keeping the bigger beam light active is the smart thing to do! **** we should all run on high beam at all (day) time for biker safety.. Day time will not bother anyone and makes you more visible.

Yeah, I know, safety, survive. Who cares.

Take care and drive safe guys!!!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Uk F Models have the DRL's :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts