GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ordered a 2018 model Slip & Assist Clutch to fit to me 2016 GSX-S1000F,

lots of parts need ordering, (doesn't come as a kit) but covers etc are the same.

Suzuki dealer will be fitting it so i'll let update on how the install and riding it goes, including a list of parts needed.

Supposed advantages
  • Back torque limiting, slipper clutch tp prevent lock ups during downchanges
  • 20-30% less effort needed at clutch lever
  • Stronger clamping under acceleration
I know people have discussed whether the 2015/16 had a back torque limiting clutch, but there in nothing in the service manual or upon inspection of my clutch that would limit back torque/slip.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Just ordered a 2018 model Slip & Assist Clutch to fit to me 2016 GSX-S1000F,

lots of parts need ordering, (doesn't come as a kit) but covers etc are the same.

Suzuki dealer will be fitting it so i'll let update on how the install and riding it goes, including a list of parts needed.

Supposed advantages
  • Back torque limiting, slipper clutch tp prevent lock ups during downchanges
  • 20-30% less effort needed at clutch lever
  • Stronger clamping under acceleration
I know people have discussed whether the 2015/16 had a back torque limiting clutch, but there in nothing in the service manual or upon inspection of my clutch that would limit back torque/slip.
It will be interesting to see what you think of the new clutch setup. Once you've ridden it for a bit, please let us know if you think it was worth the time & expense.
Also, I had a peek at your GSX-S website...... some good info in there, thanks for sharing! :D

·
Registered
894 Posts
I haven't been here long, but I can see I like this Paul guy. He has a modding sickness and by consequence he figures all this stuff out and tests it before we do. Looking forward to the results.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Also, I think he's putting down more power than stock.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Usually too much heat.

Thailand is hot as fook.

Have you considered using a carbon fiber clutch pack in the new clutch?
Just started looking but can't find a carbon fibre clutch pack for the 2017/8 clutches yet.

Its done well over 35K with abuse, and my house is at the top of a very steep, 30% hill with 5 very tight bends where you have to slip the clutch to get round the corner.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Just started looking but can't find a carbon fibre clutch pack for the 2017/8 clutches yet.

Its done well over 35K with abuse, and my house is at the top of a very steep, 30% hill with 5 very tight bends where you have to slip the clutch to get round the corner.
EBC makes them! I have a post in here with the part number

·
Registered
451 Posts
I made this same conversion, but on a different bike. The clutches on the japanese bikes are all made by a company called "FCC Japan". In fact, most all motorcycles use the fcc brand clutch. Its this clutch. First seen on the 2013 Star motorcycles, but will eventually be everywhere. There are fewer parts, and it must be cheaper to manufacture???

The assist slipper clutch is really nice.

One part did freak me out.

Figure out stock clutch system, and the entire clutch is designed around the stock 5 spring clutch.

The design of the assist/slipper makes it so it uses only 3 springs, and those springs are much softer.

So, the clutch geometry is the same, but fewer springs, that are really soft.

I get this conversion done, and pull the clutch lever. I thought I screwed something up. It was at least 50% easier to pull. A little kid could do it. The video says 20%, but thats being very conservative.

That pull weight never bothered me, but its really nice in stop-n-go traffic.

Be sure and watch the clutch stack height, and match the figures offered in the manual, but otherwise, I really enjoyed mine.

·
Registered
274 Posts
As you say, its for the pre-slipper, They don't list one for the later assist and slipper clutches unfortunately.
Crap! Sorry about that, wasn’t thinking. I’d give EBC a call. When I called them, they said most clutches fit more than one vehicle. They may have one that will do the trick!

·
Registered
486 Posts
I have the bike in that slip and assist vid. I have an 07 Stratoliner S model without the slipper clutch. Never had a problem with with its performance, and the Strat lays down some serious torque. I would like a bit less lever effort, but not enough to buy a whole new clutch.

When i need a new clutch on either of my bikes i'll get Barnett a barnett Kevlar clutch. It seems Kevlar has won the CF/Kevlar war as barnett only offers Kevlar for our bike. Both clutch materials have the same friction coefficient of 0.13 but Kevlar last longer and can handle up to 300 degrees celsius operating temps. It also doesn't glaze from slippage, it gets slight carbon build up the wears off.

Good explanation of clutch materials:
About Motorcycle Clutches at Mr Clutch - http://www.mrclutch.com.au/

1 - 20 of 24 Posts