GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So how much does the baffle in a slip on affect back pressure and engine performance? I have an Alpha T slip on that I installed without the baffle and I love the sound but Dano's Performance is telling me to install the baffle because of back pressure issues. Thoughts?

·
Registered
325 Posts
I'm not in a position to physically check at the moment but doesn't the stock exhaust can have a straight-thru flow, with only glass-pack style sound deadening? If so, what would the difference be between that and any other slip-on that has the baffle removed?

·
Registered
542 Posts
So how much does the baffle in a slip on affect back pressure and engine performance? I have an Alpha T slip on that I installed without the baffle and I love the sound but Dano's Performance is telling me to install the baffle because of back pressure issues. Thoughts?
The back pressure myth was busted a long time ago. If it isn't running optimally then the tune isn't correct.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The back pressure myth was busted a long time ago. If it isn't running optimally then the tune isn't correct.
That's sort of what I'm reading. Dano's is saying to run my bike to see if I like it before a Power Commander but I think it may be a good idea down the road. We'll see. Thanks.

·
Registered
694 Posts
That's sort of what I'm reading. Dano's is saying to run my bike to see if I like it before a Power Commander but I think it may be a good idea down the road. We'll see. Thanks.

Eh, people say myths. but ive had bikes with baffle out, it had more top pull, but I felt like I lost torque down low. I definitely think back pressure is important, ive read post on here about it. PP can chime in since he builds exhaust. free flowing exhaust, more top, but you lose some down end, and vice versa.

needless to say, I run baffles forever now.

·
Registered
542 Posts

Eh, people say myths. but ive had bikes with baffle out, it had more top pull, but I felt like I lost torque down low. I definitely think back pressure is important, ive read post on here about it. PP can chime in since he builds exhaust. free flowing exhaust, more top, but you lose some down end, and vice versa.

needless to say, I run baffles forever now.
Did you adjust air/fuel when removing baffle? Lean/rich fuelling will cause power loss throughout the rpm range. You need to look at both sides of that coin. Paul confirmed back pressure is nonsense but please don't stop there, scientific analysis on the subject is abundant on the internet. Don't be ignorant.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Nope. Didn’t adjust anything

Loss of power and annoying loud pipes made me toss them back on, it made it hard to do wheelies onthe highway with it out. And that’s the only reason I ride my motorcycle honestly. Stand ups for milesss

·
Registered
326 Posts
Nope. Didn’t adjust anything

Loss of power and annoying loud pipes made me toss them back on, it made it hard to do wheelies onthe highway with it out. And that’s the only reason I ride my motorcycle honestly. Stand ups for milesss

You live in the LA area? I do that a lot as well but my GSX-S1000 is harder to keep the front tire up and slow it down, I ride my enduro bikes with groups to do the long wheelies, I’ll learn one day just the 1000 is to fast I can keep it up... till I run into the limiter wall hahah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
694 Posts
You live in the LA area? I do that a lot as well but my GSX-S1000 is harder to keep the front tire up and slow it down, I ride my enduro bikes with groups to do the long wheelies, I’ll learn one day just the 1000 is to fast I can keep it up... till I run into the limiter wall hahah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sorry just saw this post, I live in Ohio, we have i70 and i75 interstates, 65-70mph with like 3-4-5 lanes. wheeeelies for days. I use them everyday for my life traveling/commuting. If you are riding to limiter, you are not at balance. I won't give any advice because our bikes are different, I dont know if yours is flashed, or stock, restrictions, or engine fuel cut etc.. just if you ever do try to reach balance, cover that rear brake. I've hit pot holes that made me pucker up but in general smooth sailing.

gonna get me some action shots this summer with friends on the gsxs. I simply go 60-65mph and an instant slip of clutch and gas and im up to balance or close to it, key is to snap up quickly to around that point and zone it in on your own with brake and fuel. feathering the throttle myself. bike has so much torque that its cake.

practice is perfect, never over power, better to under compensate and come back down than to loop. my friend flipped my racing bike when I tried teaching him, was out 6k

1 - 12 of 12 Posts