GSXS 1000 Forum banner

I know a full system is best, but what about slip-ons for the GSX-1000S?

• They are for looks only and serve no other purpose.

Votes: 33 52.4%
  • They can improve the sound, but don't do squat for power.

Votes: 24 38.1%
  • They can improve the power, but don't do squat for sound.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • They can improve power and sound.

Votes: 6 9.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
I can't really answer the poll, but I've never considered an aftermarket exhaust on this bike. I think the stocker looks good, sounds great (even using earplugs), and, as my dad used to say, I need more power like I need another hole in my head. But who knows, I've been know to change my mind before...

·
Registered
363 Posts
Unless your going to do a full system fit ( or cut out mid section ), ECV removal and PC5 / bazzaz with custom tune, in my opinion it's a waste of +- £500 for an aesthetic modification. Better off putting that money in the tank and ride fecker........

·
Registered
444 Posts
From my research a slip on, on this bike, won't change the noise or the power. There are some videos that show someone revving the motor with the (cat intact) stock slip on and then with no muffler at all and you can not really tell a difference. Might be 2 db's difference. I have also found that even if you remove the cat or otherwise buy a full exhaust system (cs racing, m4, yoshi r11, arrow headers+slip on) you have to tune the bike to gain any extra power.

From what I have seen these bikes put down, on average, 140whp stock. So maybe with a great tune, high flow air filter, and full exhaust you will get up to 150-155 tops.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Unless your going to do a full system fit ( or cut out mid section ), ECV removal and PC5 / bazzaz with custom tune, in my opinion it's a waste of +- £500 for an aesthetic modification. Better off putting that money in the tank and ride fecker........

Or you can get the titanium Mivv for around £220, looks great and definitely growls more. ;)

·
Registered
261 Posts
My yoshi did nothing for power but there is a lower growl to the bike now as far as sound. I knew it wouldn't change the power upon purchase but the carbon can in my opinion looked better IMO which was important to me..

·
Registered
444 Posts
My yoshi did nothing for power but there is a lower growl to the bike now as far as sound. I knew it wouldn't change the power upon purchase but the carbon can in my opinion looked better IMO which was important to me..
Did you get the Alpha or the R11?

·
Registered
724 Posts
The Yoshimura slip on sounds EXACTLY the same as the the factory slip on.:|

·
Registered
444 Posts
Motorcycle Exhaust Slip On Carbon SUZUKI HONDA YAMAHA KAWASAKI AKRA BIKE | eBay

I have just enquired about one of these - I'm holding off until I can get hold of a link pipe. They seem very good value though :)
There was a member on here had his local exhaust shop make a mid pipe for his akra can. But if I remember correctly the cat and header is one piece. So some cutting is involved with that process. I'm not at home otherwise I would go look at the bike to confirm that. But that would the cheapest option. That is what most do on the new superbikes that come with titanium headers already. Just delete the cat with a link pipe. That is what I did on my zx10r.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Stock shorty exhaust looks great and sounds decent. I bought a M4 slip on for $275 (included shipping & handling). Much better sound without being too loud and it looks better than stock. Will powdercoat heat shield along with rearsets and passenger pegs next which will blend it well with the rest of the black. Think power gain is negligible, it is a bit lighter than stock exhaust.

Attachments

·
Registered
464 Posts

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
My experience is that once bought, I causes a mental problem at trade in time (which happens eventually).
You paid top $ for accessories and don't want to throw it away.

The trade price doesn't reflect any accessories fitted. Not for you, but for the Dealer (you if private seller) & gets a easier sale over stocker.
So seeing that you love bike X or Y; Can you retrofit it to the new dream bike that you are now dripping saliva over?

Probably No.

Should I buy the GSXS again, but this time a Naked or Faired variant, so I can transfer the bling, PCV5, Booster Plug, O2 sensor, tail tidy, etc, etc.?

AS LEAVEITSTOCK would say, leaving it stock removes this binding clamp on your Brand / Model choices.
Been down this path, with the same Can been fitted to 5 Bandits, and it's been recently reminding me lately as Suzuki has a nice red one on sales again as I consider the VRF's possible replacement choices. Oh shut up and sleep in your dusty cardboard box with the silverfish.

Rob.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My experience is that once bought, I causes a mental problem at trade in time (which happens eventually).
You paid top $ for accessories and don't want to throw it away.

The trade price doesn't reflect any accessories fitted. Not for you, but for the Dealer (you if private seller) & gets a easier sale over stocker.
So seeing that you love bike X or Y; Can you retrofit it to the new dream bike that you are now dripping saliva over?

Probably No.

Should I buy the GSXS again, but this time a Naked or Faired variant, so I can transfer the bling, PCV5, Booster Plug, O2 sensor, tail tidy, etc, etc.?

AS LEAVEITSTOCK would say, leaving it stock removes this binding clamp on your Brand / Model choices.
Been down this path, with the same Can been fitted to 5 Bandits, and it's been recently reminding me lately as Suzuki has a nice red one on sales again as I consider the VRF's possible replacement choices. Oh shut up and sleep in your dusty cardboard box with the silverfish.

Rob.
Well, there's that. But the silverfish thing is a complete no-go. And as for the VFR (VRF?)... That was always on my list, until the tech was 20 years old and they "revised" it just like a bad Rocky movie. GSX-S1000F FTW! Mod it if you like, yea... you're not going to get the value out on trade. Some things aren't about money. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Stock shorty exhaust looks great and sounds decent. I bought a M4 slip on for $275 (included shipping & handling). Much better sound without being too loud and it looks better than stock. Will powdercoat heat shield along with rearsets and passenger pegs next which will blend it well with the rest of the black. Think power gain is negligible, it is a bit lighter than stock exhaust.
Looks great. Did you try taking off the stock chrome heat shield?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Still undecided on what to do with mine. Like the R11 , it looks sweet.

I like the stock slip on and torn between a full header change, Blackwidow £400 or ALPHA £600, A simple cut and shut decat/muffler removal mod £140 or a set of GSXR headers plus a custom link pipe. £200. Any of those should, after a reflash improve power, tractability and the sound. the stock and arrow headers have link pipes, the blackwidow does not, I don't know if that makes a difference either.

Not yet decided if the exhaust valve and motor is worth keeping (not an option with new headers obviously) and not been able to find any evidence that it does anything for noise or mid range power.

I feel £600 is a lot for an end can that does little more than alter aesthetics. Its your money so spend it how you want.

·
Registered
444 Posts
R11 is the looking can for this bike to me. I was quoted around $1200 USD for a Full R11 system from Japan, ordered through Yoshi USA. But aside from weight loss, these bikes seem to only gain about 8-10whp with full exhaust, air filter, and tune. Not really worth it to me for a street bike.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts