GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All! Apparently the Gixer motor our bike is based on had a slipper clutch and you can probably find one for about $700 (US). Never having had a bike with one, was wondering if there is any real benefit outside a race track for having one on a Gixus; one pundit said the lever pressure is reduced but I'm not having any of those issues.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Hiya,

I was contemplating that as well. The gearbox isn't from the '05, however. You'll need to get a slipper clutch for the '09 and above. I found a used one on eBay for US$89. You do get less engine braking, and it comes into its own for when you are banging down the box coming into a corner. Definitely more of a track tool, in my opinion, even more so if you are one of the last of the late brakers. The clutch on this bike is pretty sublime as it is. I'm going to do a track day with out it, then install it and do some road riding and a track day with it, to see if the benefits are there.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ESX, Thanks. Wow sounds like a great price. After my recent long mountain ride, it seems the gearbox ratios are so close that perhaps its not that necessary compared to my old r1100s. "Last of the late brakers" is a great moniker--should be on a T-shirt! Be interested in your feedback.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I'd say if you are really interested, head back to your dealership and ask for a spin on the new GSX-R1000 to see what the difference is with a slipper clutch. They do make it easier to blip the throttle on your downshifts - as if you don't rev match correctly it will absorb it and not have your bike try and buck you off violently (Yes, I have done that a few times).

Sigma do a fantastic write-up on the slipper clutch. Well worth a read if you are interested. The article can be found here: Slipper clutches, the most underrated track accessory??

Ha ha! I can't take credit for that one, heard it from the English MotoGP commentators. Another good one is "Wait until you see God, then brake".

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
I was actually searching the forums to see if the bike came with a slipper clutch. I was shocked at how smooth it was when leaving from a stop and when downshifting. If I didn't rev match at all the bike seems to do it for me...

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Wait, i thought i remember reading this had a slipper clutch and mentioned on a youtube vid....no?
With how smooth my clutch is when I deliberately don't rev match, if it's not a slipper, it's something in between normal and slipper.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Wait, i thought i remember reading this had a slipper clutch and mentioned on a youtube vid....no?

YouTube reviews are a great resource but you have to be careful with them , I have also heard a couple of reviews mentioning the slipper clutch that it goes not have and also people talking about the power modes when you change the traction control settings that also does not exist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
YouTube reviews are a great resource but you have to be careful with them , I have also heard a couple of reviews mentioning the slipper clutch that it goes not have and also people talking about the power modes when you change the traction control settings that also does not exist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
While it may not be a brand name slipper, like Yoyodyne, for example. I could easily see how people (myself included) could think this bike comes with some type of slipper clutch. Next time you're on your bike and doing 60+ mph, pull in the clutch, wait for the revs to hit idle, then release the clutch quickly without touching the throttle. Guaranteed you'll be a believer if you haven't already done this.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
While it may not be a brand name slipper, like Yoyodyne, for example. I could easily see how people (myself included) could think this bike comes with some type of slipper clutch. Next time you're on your bike and doing 60+ mph, pull in the clutch, wait for the revs to hit idle, then release the clutch quickly without touching the throttle. Guaranteed you'll be a believer if you haven't already done this.

C AJ, Don't tell us you have burnt out the new clutch ALREADY to make into a slipper? ;)
Rob.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Honestly I think slippers are a bit overrated. Perhaps really high end factory racing ones may be another story however stock ones bit me once on the track. Had to do an emergency downshift at a decent amount of speed to a significantly slower speed and it ended up in a highside with a broken wrist on my 07 gsxr 600. It did not work like I expected but instead upset the bike massively. If I had $$ set aside that I wanted to mod the gsxs with I would vote suspension, rear shock. And of course track days if you have something nearby.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I could swear it has a slipper clutch of some kind, my other bike will lock up very easily when downshifting into first. This bike has no issues and I haven't been able to get it to start locking up. I see no need for installing a slipper at this point.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
C AJ, Don't tell us you have burnt out the new clutch ALREADY to make into a slipper? ;)
Rob.
Haha, I haven't abused the clutch at all besides a couple of tests to see if the rear would lock up. I put a hundred miles on today and the clutch is becoming very grabby. Still seems somewhat slippy though.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Haha, I haven't abused the clutch at all besides a couple of tests to see if the rear would lock up. I put a hundred miles on today and the clutch is becoming very grabby. Still seems somewhat slippy though.
I would expect the new clutch to have a few microscopic high spots over the fiction material surfaces of the multiple clutch plates, so like every other part of the motor, the bedding in of clutch hopefully will improve the friction feel sooner than later before the 600 mile first service.
The engine oil in it now should be a base mineral, not a fully synthetic. I keep base mineral oil in my new bikes till the second service or 6000 km.

In my bike, the clutch take up can be abrupt at the friction point of the stoke.
It takes more concentration to get it (revs & clutch) right than a lot of other bikes I've had on hill start's in traffic.

Rob.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
I have noticed that this bike is much harder than any of my previous ones to shift smoothly. The revs fall so quickly as soon as the clutch is pulled by the time I shift it's gotta rev match. Likely because of the close gearing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts