GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, i think this has been mentioned on here already, but i thought id share my snatchy and abrupt throttle disappearance. Like many of you have done already, i adjusted the free play out a few hundred milds ago. I am coming up for 800 miles now, my rides are always pretty spirited and i like to give the engine a good thrashing. The only mods so far are front and rear fender extenders. Yesterday i cleaned, lubed and re adjusted the chain ready for a run out today.. i have to report that the jerkyness is almost non existant and shes freeing up lovely. I was ready to buy a pc5, but il now wait for a few hundred miles and see if the improvement continues naturally!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Right around 3,000 miles, the engine will feel as if it suddenly gained 50 extra horsepower. I see no need to rush out and buy a Power Commander. Waste of money. But, I do know it's fun to buy stuff for the bike....and I can certainly admit to "Wasting" 10s of thousands of dollars on useless items over the years.

Is it really useless? I don't think buying cool stuff for our number 1 hobby is useless......It's fun :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thumper, cant wait to get a few more miles on her then!! Have to say i love buying anything bike related but might spend the money on a holiday this year instead....although on my bike of course!

·
Registered
334 Posts
I don't see how a fuelling issue will sort itself naturally, but whatever works for you. If you don't spend a lot of time on/off the throttle at low speeds, you won't be noticing the issue, so I guess that's where you are. I, however, commute daily in peak hour traffic, and the PC5 made a marked difference. If I spent most of my time in the twisties or otherwise at highway speeds, I probably wouldn't have bothered either.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I don't see how a fuelling issue will sort itself naturally, but whatever works for you. If you don't spend a lot of time on/off the throttle at low speeds, you won't be noticing the issue, so I guess that's where you are. I, however, commute daily in peak hour traffic, and the PC5 made a marked difference. If I spent most of my time in the twisties or otherwise at highway speeds, I probably wouldn't have bothered either.

I think you absolutely correct, it depends where you riding. I don't do much traffic riding, but if I did, I think that PCV would probably have been more needed. When I do ride in traffic, I tend to use the clutch quite a bit more than what I would consider normal to often manage the jerkiness, and always wonder to what extent am I wearing the clutch out quicker. Because I tend to do more higher speeds runs, the issue is not really a problem or not a problem at all. But having said that, what I realized is that I actually also adjusted my riding to allow for the jerkiness. So when I going thru bends, I am not smoothly and continually rolling onto the speed thru the bend in the same manner as I would normally have done because of not wanting to risk unsettling the bike in the bend with the jerky throttle. I think I tend to get way with it because I tend to ride more squaring-off lines. But I do tend to be a little more careful thru long bends where one cannot just square-off the corner. And put some unevenness in the road, and I am even more careful with the throttle. But I still manage to ride the bends very fast and its not affecting the quality of my ride so it is an issue at all. So, do I really need PCV - probably No. The question however that I have now started to ask myself is; if the throttle was smoother could I be even faster thru the bends and have an even better ride. And if the answer is yes, well then PCV would be a worthwhile investment.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah you are probably right, but i do commute to work most days in low speed traffic, its only 7 mins away so probably not on it long enough to notice.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Correct chain tension and very little throttle free play will go a ways to 'solving' the 'problem'. I'm not one who thinks there is one to begin with, however, I'm not against PCVs and assorted toys for our bikes either. If I had a choice between a new rear shock or the PCV, I'd go the shock first though.

Would like to see what a rear fender extender looks like if you get the time for a photo.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I don't think the snatchyness gets better I think you just get used to it but I will find out over Easter, I got off my bike the other day and rode a friends bike, a gsr750 and although a much slower bike when I got back on mine it felt so snatchy in comparison more so than it had 30 minutes ago when I was riding it and that was with an altered throttle tube I am using that is so much smoother than the original one , it's not the throttle tamer but one I made that's not so tame and only effecting about 10% rather than 20% so the on/off is gone but the power feels like it's still there.
I was going to put my original tube back in over Easter for a ride just to feel the difference again and will see if it has smoothed out, it's easy to tell as I could not sit on a constant speed around 60km/h without jumping up and down nearly 10km/h unless I held so tight and concentrated to keep the speed, with the tamer or altered tube I don't even have to think about it and it sits steady even over the biggest bumps

·
Registered
285 Posts
I don't think the snatchyness gets better I think you just get used to it but I will find out over Easter, I got off my bike the other day and rode a friends bike, a gsr750 and although a much slower bike when I got back on mine it felt so snatchy in comparison more so than it had 30 minutes ago when I was riding it and that was with an altered throttle tube I am using that is so much smoother than the original one , it's not the throttle tamer but one I made that's not so tame and only effecting about 10% rather than 20% so the on/off is gone but the power feels like it's still there.
I was going to put my original tube back in over Easter for a ride just to feel the difference again and will see if it has smoothed out, it's easy to tell as I could not sit on a constant speed around 60km/h without jumping up and down nearly 10km/h unless I held so tight and concentrated to keep the speed, with the tamer or altered tube I don't even have to think about it and it sits steady even over the biggest bumps
the only thing i have ever bought on e-bay , throttle tamer, it has made my bike much easier to ride at constant speed in traffic , very happy with the result, when i have really learnt to ride this girl hard in present fuelling am intending to get PC5 so my mechanic can work out on the dyno the best fuelling for my riding . So am guessing 12 months away,

·
Registered
285 Posts
Correct chain tension and very little throttle free play will go a ways to 'solving' the 'problem'. I'm not one who thinks there is one to begin with, however, I'm not against PCVs and assorted toys for our bikes either. If I had a choice between a new rear shock or the PCV, I'd go the shock first though.

Would like to see what a rear fender extender looks like if you get the time for a photo.
a wonderful australian motorcycle journalist said to me once '' all the power in the world is what everyone wants in their bike , but without the suspension to match it , it's wasted.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I agreed that the fuel problem can't be resolved via other components' adjustments. However I did feel the bike less jerky when I fit the throttle tammer at 2K km or adjusted the chain at 3K km & clean air filter at 4K km.
More important, I think the rider naturally adjusts the habbit to adopt the bike, I can see my throttle control along a bench is more tuned compared to my previous bike.
I planned to fit in a BMC air filter, is it necessary to have PCv installed with this mod?

·
Registered
974 Posts
With nearly 4000kms on the bike and mostly with a modified throttle tube I put the original back in the bike and yes the bike has settled down a lot but it' still has the on/off issue at no throttle to a few percent throttle that's annoying
constant speeds were a lot better like 60 or 100km/h and no effort at all in comparison to when I first got the bike, I'm not sure If a power commander would even fix this problem as the maps I have seen do not make any changed under about 10% throttle anyway
I'll keep it in for a bit to see if I get used to it but otherwise the modified tube goes back in, no big deal though cause it's a 5 minute job and it works well and I may even order another one and modify it to just work on the first few percent of the throttle as that's all it needs I believe

1 - 18 of 18 Posts