GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 249 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I experienced some issues with the throttle as most owners have done,:( however I've not reflashed the ECU as yet but took a bit of time to check and set up the Throttle position sensor and adjust the throttle cables properly at the lower end (Throttle Body End). It has made a huge difference to the riding experience at small throttle openings in towns and in traffic, so much smoother now.:)

·
Registered
824 Posts
My TPS is off for sure, but I haven't taken her apart yet to make the adjustment. It's been too hot in my garage. Ok, actually I've been lazy and I need to order the wire harness thingy tool. I'll get to it soon. I'm curious to see if it cures that dang flat spot between 4000-6000 rpm.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
My TPS is off for sure, but I haven't taken her apart yet to make the adjustment. It's been too hot in my garage. Ok, actually I've been lazy and I need to order the wire harness thingy tool. I'll get to it soon. I'm curious to see if it cures that dang flat spot between 4000-6000 rpm.
It won't cure the flat spot - all 4 stroke high performance engines have a flat spot at half of peak power revs (10,500 rpm Peak Power, 5,250 rpm flat spot), often made worse by the manufacturer exhaust design to keep noise down around 5000 rpm (where a lot of noise testing is done) - The exhaust valve helps this by closing more around 5000rpm at higher throttle openings

The only way to cure the flat spot completely is with a new exhaust designed to enhance the torque around 5000rpm overcoming the engines natural flatspot, this means losing the exhaust valve (or tuning it in the reflash) and designing the length and diameter of primaries/secondaries to boost the torque in this area

This is one of the more dramatic dyno curves I have seen showing the flat spot (not really a flat spot, more of a huge hole)

·
Registered
824 Posts
Thanks Paul, good to know. I have a full M4 exhaust system on the bike now. Its not tuned though as the Martin people say it is not necessary. I suppose it couldn't hurt though.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Oh Paul,
It simply is NOT true that there is a hole.
How to do I know?

When the Yamaha R1 first came out back when (1998), an interview in a magazine with the Head Designer said 'Yamaha did this dip deliberately for the "Riders pleasure"'. This is my memory from that time:

"As the R1 would be greeted with enthusiastic desire from a wide cross section of Motorcyclists, the less experienced would enjoy the first rise up the graph then know that the power will deliberately go down and be then know the safe band of revs to ride in".
The more experienced Riders would be able to enjoy a greater second surge from 5000 to the red line".

Done with clever engineering in mind for all Riders to enjoy their new R1 experience

What a load of crock indeed, said with a straight face presumably.

Rob.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've read a lot about the TPS adjustment so conceptionally I'm comfortable with that. I do have 1 question though. What does Suzuki say in their manuals for the recommended TPS setting? Would they say _C00 or -C00? The reason I ask is that I've yet to take delivery of my bike and I could ask them to inspect and adjust the TPS setting to -C00 but they may reply that _C00 is the recommended setting. All in all not a big deal either way, just wondering.

Peter

·
Registered
137 Posts
I've read a lot about the TPS adjustment so conceptionally I'm comfortable with that. I do have 1 question though. What does Suzuki say in their manuals for the recommended TPS setting? Would they say _C00 or -C00? The reason I ask is that I've yet to take delivery of my bike and I could ask them to inspect and adjust the TPS setting to -C00 but they may reply that _C00 is the recommended setting. All in all not a big deal either way, just wondering.

Peter
If yours is an 18 model, it won't have the - just C00. Mine is an 18 model year, and the throttle snatch wasn't an issue. I checked the tps Voltagw and was way under the recommended range of 1.10-1.14, at 1.06. PhuketPaul says the best seems to be at 1.13, which i believe him. I set mine to 1.13 but it changed to 1.11V when tightening it back up. Either way, when the snatch wasn't an issue before (I did it just for peace of mind) it's still so much smoother.

To do it that way you'd need a Suzuki or Kawasaki breakout lead. But it's worth riding the bike first to see how she is, if you feel you need it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thanks for the answer. Mine is an 18 model. Maybe I'll get the breakout lead; I have a nice Fluke multimeter that I'm always itching to use. Anybody have a part # on the breakout lead?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Thanks for the answer. Mine is an 18 model. Maybe I'll get the breakout lead; I have a nice Fluke multimeter that I'm always itching to use. Anybody have a part # on the breakout lead?

The kawasaki one is 57001-1538, it's more inexpensive than the Suzuki, and works just as well.

Just connect it, so it's piggy backed on the tps connector and you're good to go!

And I know that tool itch, looking for projects to use something nice, or creating them! It can get expensive 😂

·
Registered
1,235 Posts

Peter
Suzuki Recommend -C00

But as Kevin said on an 18 it doesn't work.

Suzuki Part Number – 09900-28631, I had to buy the Suzuki one as the Kawasaki dealer here is useless. Almost exactly the same, only the colour of the leads are different.

More information and Video at https://gsx-s.info/suzuki-gsxs-tps/

T

·
0 Posts
I just had my first service, and mentioned to the service team, they adjusted the TPS (Saying it way out) and upped the idle a little, and she feels like a new bike.
They apparently rang Suzuki Head Office to get the the TPS values, I am assuming they are not the "standard" settings when the bike is put together.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I just had my first service, and mentioned to the service team, they adjusted the TPS (Saying it way out) and upped the idle a little, and she feels like a new bike.
They apparently rang Suzuki Head Office to get the the TPS values, I am assuming they are not the "standard" settings when the bike is put together.
Cool! Glad it got all sorted that way for you! Now you get to go back straight to riding and enjoying without worrying about it 😄

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Hi Tsim,
The question many will ask is what were the 'before' settings and the 'after' values ?
Any chance that you can follow up this for Our Forum's benefit before the Service Team say's "no idea, long forgotten".
And did they use a voltage splitter lead as discussed above, or was it done by the software plug of the ECU ?

Rob.

T

·
0 Posts
Hi Tsim,
The question many will ask is what were the 'before' settings and the 'after' values ?
Any chance that you can follow up this for Our Forum's benefit before the Service Team say's "no idea, long forgotten".
And did they use a voltage splitter lead as discussed above, or was it done by the software plug of the ECU ?

Rob.
Apologies for the delay, I don't get on the forum much.
They said they adjusted the TPS value to 1.13 via the ecu. and upped the idle, as mine was a little low apparently.

Thats all they would give me...

·
Registered
135 Posts
There are many discussions/posts regarding the throttle issues. I recently bought a 2018. I have owned over 20 motorcycles and some with pretty crappy fueling. I, like some others, new what I was getting into with this bike. I figured I might have to make some adjustments to the throttle but the amount of bike you get for around $9000 is pretty amazing. The 2018 is certainly ride-able and enjoyable just like it is. However, as one other poster said, "it is on a knifes edge between let's go and injectors off". Thought that was pretty funny. So lets just say I really like the bike but the throttle is sensitive and it would be nice to have a smoother off to on throttle transition and I would like less decel when you roll off the throttle. Anyway, I have been reading the posts over and over again and man you really get so many different recommendations/solutions that it is kind of confusing. Here is what I have compiled so far in no certain order.
Power Commander
Power Commander with auto-tune
TPS adjustment
ECU reflash
Throttle Tamer
Throttle cable adjustment
Woolich racing kit
.....and there are probably others.
I don't need or want any more power. The bike is a bullet in stock form. What I would like is a smoother OFF to ON throttle transition, less sensitive throttle, and less decel when rolling off throttle. I don't plan to install a full exhausts or even a slip on. I actually like the little stubby stock exhaust. Can someone give me some advice on what I need to do based on what I want? Thanks

·
Registered
524 Posts
<SNIPPED STUFF> What I would like is a smoother OFF to ON throttle transition, less sensitive throttle, and less decel when rolling off throttle. I don't plan to install a full exhausts or even a slip on. I actually like the little stubby stock exhaust. Can someone give me some advice on what I need to do based on what I want? Thanks
Tom, pull the ECU. Send it to Danos in California. Pay $180. Reinstall ECU. Ride and enjoy. Seriously. That's it. Oh yeah, if you have a ton of slack in your throttle cables (mine was bad) adjust all but a millimeter of slack out and it makes it so much better. Good riding to you!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Tom, pull the ECU. Send it to Danos in California. Pay $180. Reinstall ECU. Ride and enjoy. Seriously. That's it. Oh yeah, if you have a ton of slack in your throttle cables (mine was bad) adjust all but a millimeter of slack out and it makes it so much better. Good riding to you!
Froggy, would you not also advise that he makes sure the TPS is properly adjusted, given that he puts a high value on smooth OFF/ON throttle transition? Just wondering, cuz I'm an idiot..

1 - 20 of 249 Posts