GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
had the bike flat out twice ...same result 156 @ 11200 or so revs and even with an X-TRE it made no difference.
So i'm wondering what is the limit?

Gearing?
Speedo setpoint?
Revs?

Not overly worried but would love to know

·
Registered
152 Posts
The ecu flash offers top speed limiter removal and there is a video on youtube showing top speed after ecu flash of gps geniune 165mph . 172mph on the speedo :)
https://youtu.be/TcgGJRoMJqo

·
Registered
987 Posts
I can't imagine going that fast on a motorcycle. ONE little thing goes wrong and you're sausage. Good to know it's capable, though.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I can't imagine going that fast on a motorcycle. ONE little thing goes wrong and you're sausage. Good to know it's capable, though.
As long as you don't hit anything. You could lay it down and probably walk away from it. Guys on the race track do it all the time. But on the street with cars/obstacles present I would generally agree with you.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I just changed tires and apparently the stock Dunlops are a smaller diameter than most "premium" replacements. My speedo shows 86 mph at 6000 rpm or 14.33 mph per 1000 rpm. Assuming bike has suds to pull redline in 6th (seems like they do), then at 11750 rpm that would equate to a top speed of 168 mph. I enjoy the gain in handling (Metzeler R01) and increase in range (taller tire=taller gearing for a bit more mileage) more than an increase in top end. Anyway, there are faster bikes out there if that's what one is after, right?

·
Registered
437 Posts
The secondary throttles start to close which restricts revs + power at full chat.
ECU flash apparently stops this happening hence the vid showing more revs

Reactions: gritty

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I had a different reason when I tried to get the Hayabusa up to the possible 313 kph.
At 200 kph, I said I don't want to die never knowing and at that speed your dead anyway if it goes pair shaped.

Only got to an indicated 250 kph at 7500 rpm. That was enough as even with the full face helmet on the tank and close to the screen as possible; the vacuum behind the helmet caused the helmet to get sucked backwards and the strap was really choking my breathing.

On the Busa, 7500 rpm is nowhere near the power band with 4000 odd to go, but left it too late to wind it on further in 6th gear.
So the moral of the story is go hard early and of course like me only on a 'private' road.;)

Rob.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Totally true but when for me i've downsized from 6yrs on 3 Hayabusa and 3yrs on 2 ZZR1400/ZX14R and had them all flat out along with GSXR1000, RSV4,Bking and the GSXS is basically the 3rd or 4th slowest top speed bike i've owned...BUT CERTAINLY NOT THE SLOWEST ACCELERATING...up there with the best to silly speeds....love the mix of fun it has.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Only got to an indicated 250 kph at 7500 rpm. That was enough as even with the full face helmet on the tank and close to the screen as possible; the vacuum behind the helmet caused the helmet to get sucked backwards and the strap was really choking my breathing.

On the Busa, 7500 rpm is nowhere near the power band with 4000 odd to go, but left it too late to wind it on further in 6th gear..
Your helmet sounds like it isn't the best fit or designed with speed in mind....Shoei i had was awful at speed and my basic Arai Axces isn't great after 200kph
Arai RX7 for me and 300kph is fine...though i'm a short arse at 5ft6.
Don't even need a mile of road to max a Busa and slow down.
7500rpm your just about to waken the engine up on a Busa.....does 250kph and more in 4th gear

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Your helmet sounds like it isn't the best fit or designed with speed in mind....Shoei i had was awful at speed and my basic Arai Axces isn't great after 200kph
Arai RX7 for me and 300kph is fine...though i'm a short arse at 5ft6.
Don't even need a mile of road to max a Busa and slow down.
7500rpm your just about to waken the engine up on a Busa.....does 250kph and more in 4th gear
Hi,
1999 first generation then released 'Busa and the Arai RX-7 wasn't available then.
My own RX-7 has been binned several years ago. They were first released in 2008/9 I think.
I probably was wearing a good quality Shoei of the late 1990's then.

Rob.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Fastest track to me allows me to top my zx10r out on the front straight. Over 190mph stock gearing, unrestricted ecu. What is the point of doing that on the street?

·
Registered
152 Posts
The OP says he has TRE fitted so this will not affect secondary butterflies closing as the bike thinks its still in 5th gear.
Can I suggest that the OP doesnt have it in 5th gear mode ? If its the healtech one it has 4,5,6th gear modes.
I just bought the smart-moto TRE and am waiting to fit it, and seeing how it is derestricted :)
Top speed is easy to get to, dont know why so many say its hard to get to, mine shows 155, I know mine was doing 13 seconds roll on from 100 to get to 150 with 1000 miles on the clock, now with 3000 it takes less than 9 seconds, which im very pleased about.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
I hit 151mph on my gps at a local track. Didn't see what the speedo said, but it didn't feel like it was straining.

Reactions: mike d

·
Registered
152 Posts
I fitted the smart-moto tre and speed limiter is now removed saw 160 on the way to work, can feel more power to, good for £30

·
Registered
216 Posts
Definitely 165+ MPH in 6h gear.

I will have to go dig through some videos to get some still images of my max speed of 165+MPH.

I have gone over 156 in just fifth gear.

Reactions: R1KSU

·
Registered
152 Posts
Was NOS being used ? wassit like when you hit the switch ?

1 - 20 of 66 Posts