GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day all,
Firstly, I wish there was a room here for riding discussions for Gixes riders to share their experience.
Anyway, last week I was pulled over by a cop for exceeding the speed limit by over 10km under 20km. $288 fine with 3 demerit points.
3 weeks earlier, the same place, got caught on mobile speed camera for speeding 7km over the speed limit.
In both cases, I was riding solo.
I see riders in groups go way faster and far over the speed limit but have never seen them being pulled over by the cops. Every rider I have seen pulled over was a solo rider!
Wondering if there is any correlation between riding solo/in groups and the chance of being pulled over?
My logic is that cops turn a blind eye to group riders.
Since we have ppl here from around the world, can you share your thoughts and experience in your state/country?
What do you think?

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Good day all,
Firstly, I wish there was a room here for riding discussions for Gixes riders to share their experience.
<<snipped>>
We had once upon a time an area to discuss 'Other Bikes', Reviews of Other Bikes and a few other topics. (I am assuming 'Gixes' = GSX-R ?)
It wasn't much used, and the Owner or Moderator Group removed them and added more current GSX-S interest menu items.

That hasn't stopped me from writing my comments on my non GSX-S bikes that I buy and posting up my own reviews, and I've never been chipped for them.
The new Z900RS is close for it's 1000 km review sooner or later (it never seems to stop raining in Eastern Australia).
So, just carry on as you are now Mate. Life's too short to worry anyway.

But just watch the side of the road for the Tax Collector's and their speed traps or you'll soon be catching the Bus.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I've been pulled over riding solo or in a group. If there's just one officer and its in the middle of nowhere it's unlikely that he's going to want to pull over large groups of riders just to give one rider a ticket. Riding solo, then you're fair game. It's obviously harder to pick out one speeding rider in a group than a solo rider so why bother. In a group it's easy to pick off the last rider speeding.

MDR cameras here (moving digital radar) mounted on the dash, can be set to six seconds to record the highest speed of a vehicle coming the other way, and lock in at the highest speed. So if you're the last rider, yours is the only speed the radar will catch in that 6 seconds.

When pulled over in a group most times it's just a document check.

The one advantage a rider has if he rides the same roads on a regular basis, is knowledge of where the police sit operating radar. There is a limited number of places they can normally sit to ensure their safety and the safety of the public.

Another advantage of a bike is that the twistier the road, the less likely police will be setting up radar. I've ridden Deals Gap numerous times and come upon performance cars who tried to get away from me. They soon give up. The average police cruiser is an underpowered ill handling brick. Where most riders I've been with get their tickets is forcefully riding on twisty roads, and then stopping eventually to brag about their prowess. The cruiser that was chasing them for the last while has now caught up and the officers ready to write.

Around Ontario right now they are putting up digital speed warning signs advising your speed. This is a precursor for implementing photo radar. I'm not to sure that a couple of years from now there will be any point to riding a performance bike, unless you have deep pockets.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been pulled over riding solo or in a group. If there's just one officer and its in the middle of nowhere it's unlikely that he's going to want to pull over large groups of riders just to give one rider a ticket. Riding solo, then you're fair game. It's obviously harder to pick out one speeding rider in a group than a solo rider so why bother. In a group it's easy to pick off the last rider speeding.

MDR cameras here (moving digital radar) mounted on the dash, can be set to six seconds to record the highest speed of a vehicle coming the other way, and lock in at the highest speed. So if you're the last rider, yours is the only speed the radar will catch in that 6 seconds.

When pulled over in a group most times it's just a document check.

The one advantage a rider has if he rides the same roads on a regular basis, is knowledge of where the police sit operating radar. There is a limited number of places they can normally sit to ensure their safety and the safety of the public.

Another advantage of a bike is that the twistier the road, the less likely police will be setting up radar. I've ridden Deals Gap numerous times and come upon performance cars who tried to get away from me. They soon give up. The average police cruiser is an underpowered ill handling brick. Where most riders I've been with get their tickets is forcefully riding on twisty roads, and then stopping eventually to brag about their prowess. The cruiser that was chasing them for the last while has now caught up and the officers ready to write.

Around Ontario right now they are putting up digital speed warning signs advising your speed. This is a precursor for implementing photo radar. I'm not to sure that a couple of years from now there will be any point to riding a performance bike, unless you have deep pockets.
Very thorough piece of advice. Can't agree more.
here in Australia we have fixed speed cameras that you can learn their locations and avoid but there are also mobile speed cameras mounted on the cars. they are bloody everywhere and now with no warning sign ahead. really easy to get caught.
focusing every seconds on the speedo to be under limit, kills the fun.

·
Registered
2021(updated model) GSX-S1000
2,139 Posts
Many of our Motorways have had average speed cameras for years now, also there are an increasing number of them on other roads.
But at least you can see them, they are very effective.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Very thorough piece of advice. Can't agree more.
here in Australia we have fixed speed cameras that you can learn their locations and avoid but there are also mobile speed cameras mounted on the cars. they are bloody everywhere and now with no warning sign ahead. really easy to get caught.
focusing every seconds on the speedo to be under limit, kills the fun.
Yeah, for the last 3 weeks here in this area they are having a blitz, bike cops and HWP cars everywhere, stopping every one for random breath and drug tests, then issuing defect notices, speeding fines for 2km/hr over, this country has turned into an authoritarian police state it's absolute BS.

·
Registered
2016 f
431 Posts
I hear you on that count, while we have speed cameras here in nz( we have stopped shooting them ) there are no demerits with those tickets, but our roving tax collecters hand out demerits with virtually all tickets...and i only seem to get the later kind, so i have lost my license once in recent years from demerits, in the past you could make your case to a highway patrol officer, but now they are just ticket and demerit issuers, i recently heard we are getting another 100 speed cameras in near future ( for the safety of our citizens...yeah right !!!) ive been investigating ways to counter this assault on my sense of injustice, i keep returning to my original idea...a flip up no. plate, and a cover, so if i need to reject stopping for an opportunity to pay extra tax, i can flick the button to the level position and have an extra little blast on full throttle, before putting the cover on it, and taking the alternate route home.
The cover is required these days due to the plate recognition cameras at most town entrances, and major intersections, i was not keen on stopping for the police when younger, and found many good tactics for evading them.....hence my nickname temprykiwi

·
Registered
342 Posts
I’m just glad I’m in the heyday of my riding life, and had many years of good riding where bend swinging at speed risked the occasional ticket, but didn’t ruin the whole experience.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Yeah, for the last 3 weeks here in this area they are having a blitz, bike cops and HWP cars everywhere, stopping every one for random breath and drug tests, then issuing defect notices, speeding fines for 2km/hr over, this country has turned into an authoritarian police state it's absolute BS.
Well each state has to get money from some where they can’t just crush small business and lose tax revenue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well each state has to get money from some where they can’t just crush small business and lose tax revenue.
Good day all,
Anyway, last week I was pulled over by a cop for exceeding the speed limit by over 10km under 20km. $288 fine with 3 demerit points.
3 weeks earlier, the same place, got caught on mobile speed camera for speeding 7km over the speed limit.
In both cases, I was riding solo.
I see riders in groups go way faster and far over the speed limit but have never seen them being pulled over by the cops. Every rider I have seen pulled over was a solo rider!
Wondering if there is any correlation between riding solo/in groups and the chance of being pulled over?
My logic is that cops turn a blind eye to group riders.
Since we have ppl here from around the world, can you share your thoughts and experience in your state/country?
What do you think?
Pity the useless cops would do something about the break ins drug problems etc in our area instead of booking people for few kms over and other minor crap but I suppose there's no money in that

·
Registered
339 Posts
I honestly only ride by myself/with gf on back. I dont like riding with other motorcycles. think it isnt worth the hassle. unless I was with a close friend, but yeah. I dont even like randoms trying to hang with me on highway/sideroads.

·
Registered
791 Posts
You need a proper sports bike so you can outrun the pigs oink! oink! Kissy kissy...lol

·
Registered
791 Posts
I honestly only ride by myself/with gf on back. I dont like riding with other motorcycles. think it isnt worth the hassle. unless I was with a close friend, but yeah. I dont even like randoms trying to hang with me on highway/sideroads.
You sound like me but I never ride 2 up.
One reason I don’t like riding in a group is that there’s always someone who has to show off like one time I’m out with some dudes and we are doing a bit over 200kph in a 80k zone with over grown bushes and grass on each side of a thin road and all the time I’m thinking all we need is a roo or something to jump out in front and we are screwed.
Another time I had a dude fall off right in front of me I’m like crap! He was lucky there was No on coming traffic.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I mean I was all for it when I was younger, but yeah people did dumb stuff, etc. I realized it wasn't worth the hassle being around them. most the time its fine if someone comes up and shares lane with me, but ive had people who are clearly new riders, way to close to me, and not really knowing how to operate around another bike.

but before my gf, it was me solo 100% of time. but yeah, well I have a gf now and she tags along when I go.

NOW. I wonder, are they going to have a seat cowl cover for the new gsxs 1k? I always had them for previous gsxs's havnt seen anything. the way the seat is molded, not sure if they can make one look right or not there. I will pick one up if so.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I
<<snipped>> NOW. I wonder, are they going to have a seat cowl cover for the new gsxs 1k? I always had them for previous gsxs's havnt seen anything. the way the seat is molded, not sure if they can make one look right or not there. I will pick one up if so.
I looked in those glossy Suzuki brochures I got, and there is none shown in the GT accessory booklet.
The Naked booklet has only one cowl shown, seems to be in the colour's of the Triton Blue, but it has a different colour code to the bike itself. Evergreen Triton Blue rules with the GSX-S !!!
From the two booklets, I wasn't able to tell whether they share the same seat shape. The foam may be different densities or materials which would make a different part number.

Rob.

·
Registered
13 Posts
What state are you from

·
Registered
339 Posts
guess im the opposite, I want a crackdown. so tired of seeing everyone blowing past the speed limit +30mph, not stopping stop signs, or stop lights. heck half people dont even have license plates because no one pulls anyone over.

BLITZ MY AREA PLEASE.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts