GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

What pressures are you guys running for street riding with stock tyres ?
Factory spec presures or lower? -- and what is your weight?

·
Registered
437 Posts
I use manufacturers pressure on the original tyres, I am 15.5 stone with kit on and works fine for me. I did a run between xmas and new year where the tyres were down a few Psi as I dint check them before hand and they didnt feel right for me.
They feel much better at spec pressure especailly the front.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Redbeard, most of the people I know run about 16 kgs rear. Stock pressures are great for long fast highway travel, but when it comes to the twisties then less gives me a larger contact patch in the corners.

Stock calls for 19 kilos rear and I run 16.3 metric....34 front 36 rear psi US. I'm 210 pounds 6'1"

·
Registered
285 Posts
32 psi front road and track however the rear i change to 36 psi for road and 24 to 26 psi at track depending on the weather .
Track tyre tech has a chart for the various pressures for different brands of tyres people turn up to the track with. and they all vary brand to brand .
The 18 psi that is recommended for the treaded dunlops that are almost as sticky as slicks and need tyre warmers to get them up to hot enough to grip is not going to suit the majority of other brands that require from 24 to 32 psi rear at track.
If you never go near a track then lower than normal helps on road if weather is cold, as gets them hot and sticky. If touring is your gig, go tyre manufacturers recommendations, as usually good for longer mileage. I rode across Australian Nullabor Desert from Perth to Melbourne then Tasmania and back on a new Bridgestone rear back in the early 90's. Did 15000k's on it by the time i got home and it was shot but still ok . I get 900k's from sticky dunlops and 3000ks from sportsmart. Not sure how much riders weight comes into it, I am 80kgs, about 13stone approx, . When touring with everything from tent to cooking gear, i always bump tyres to max recommended to try to get more mileage out of them. Been riding for 46 yrs and the only thing I know for sure is I can still learn something new every day , so best advice is trial and error.I go higher in summer , lower in winter , thats checking them cold, in the morning , you may find at the middle of a days riding in scorching heat that the pressures are crazy high , invest in a tyre gauge , cheers

·
Registered
71 Posts
36/38 for me , might be a little lower in summer, on track 32/30 in the cold. In summer 30/28.

Seems just the opposite to the chap above. The problem with low pressures on road tyres is that the tyre will deform too much ( and will give even less of a contact patch ) and on the road, even with low pressures the tyres won't heat up enough to need low pressures. And then you get cold tearing etc- pretty horrid.

Bit different at the other side of the world, where the temp will always be higher than in blighty.

I know someone who won a club race on 50 psi tyres when he could ride, bit didn't know anything. It's all in your heads guys!!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Bob I agree with you that the tire deforms too much if you use to little air. I don't find 36/38 or 34/36 too little. It's just a few pounds under OEM. It also helps in smoothing out the chatter with bumpy roads through the curves. It's all a matter of preference though. On the street, we ride whatever works best for us and our riding style. Everyone is different.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I had my suspension set up and the guy dropped pressure to 31F and 29R I was dubious but once I took bike out I could notice the difference so have modified it and am happy with it, as was said above a lot of it is in your head, hence we all use diff tyres etc, lots of people rave about Pirelli's but I hate them, again it's down to what makes us feel comfortable to ride how we like to ride.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had my suspension set up and the guy dropped pressure to 31F and 29R I was dubious but once I took bike out I could notice the difference so have modified it and am happy with it, as was said above a lot of it is in your head, hence we all use diff tyres etc, lots of people rave about Pirelli's but I hate them, again it's down to what makes us feel comfortable to ride how we like to ride.
They are track pressures though pal- far too low for the road.

·
Registered
285 Posts
36/38 for me , might be a little lower in summer, on track 32/30 in the cold. In summer 30/28.

Seems just the opposite to the chap above. The problem with low pressures on road tyres is that the tyre will deform too much ( and will give even less of a contact patch ) and on the road, even with low pressures the tyres won't heat up enough to need low pressures. And then you get cold tearing etc- pretty horrid.

Bit different at the other side of the world, where the temp will always be higher than in blighty.

I know someone who won a club race on 50 psi tyres when he could ride, bit didn't know anything. It's all in your heads guys!!
exactly i totally agree,and some tyres are built to run really low pressures and others not, 50psi in mine , and i reckon not even the traction control would stop them spinning out of control . I like to do a session and look at the tyre , it's easy to see if the are tearing or wearing badly , the previous bike had dunlops i was getting 900 track k's out of them they wore beautifully at 18 psi, just not designed to last any longer than that distance , harder riders only getting 300 to 400 k's from them . The tyre the GSXS came with lasted 3000 track k's , fantastic, but every one bar me seems to hate them...

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
checked pressure for first time...just had 600 mile check few weeks ago now 1300,,,shop had 50 rear and 45 front no wonder why it took bumps hard..adjusted suspension with those rock hard tires to soften it up....lowered pressure cant wait to take out tonight should be a big improvement ...this bike just keeps getting better

·
Registered
974 Posts
I dropped the back down to about 37 and it helps a lot with the stiff suspension feel.

·
Registered
156 Posts
after doing what i could with the suspension and getting it more or less acceptable i dropped the tyres to 32psi F&R...tyres work great at that in the dry....pleasantly warm today at 15c and now the tyres actually feel like rubber and not hard plastic....first OEM tyre thats ever been happy at 32 up front without making the steering feel heavy.
I don't worry about potholes etc...if your hitting them that hard to need to worry about your rims your on the wrong type bike.
Many UK roads are right up there with the crappiest roads due to constant digging up and half assed repairs and the GSXS handles the bumps fine at 32psi and allows edges to edge tyre use.

·
Registered
10 Posts
What the chain guard says, 36/42. Also make sure you're checking before you ride. When the tires warm up it could effect an accurate reading I believe.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts