GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
I took my daughter for a two hour ride. Because the seat isn't level and slopes towards the rider the whole trip was a disaster. I had sore arms holding back her weight and helmets kept banging. She just couldn't stop from sliding forward, especially when braking or going downhill. The solution is the rear foot pegs are now used to protect the bike should I drop it, and not for pillions. I don't care, I didn't buy it as a tourer or cruiser. I bought it for my own thrills.

·
Registered
152 Posts
A roll of carpet grip from your local diy store will be less than $10, here in the uk its about £4.99 I used it on the slippy pillion seat on my VFR1200 , worked great !

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought about doing a cover to level the bank and increase the size,
that can be removed .
But I would like to see photos of someone who made .

thanks,

Lorival

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
I did about 70 miles with my girlfriend on pillion yesterday. She's pretty good about keeping a hand on the tank so she doesn't slide into me when I'm braking. I thought this bike would suck for a passenger but she likes it much more than my FZ-07.

She also said it's a much smoother bike and commented on how it felt like it was glued to the ground. Wind hardly moves it, which is awesome.

·
Registered
379 Posts
One solution is sending the seat to Sargent - it's not cheap, but they'll have you chalk a level line on the seat and they'll rebuild the foam to make it level. I'm going to do this for my rider's seat.

I personally don't like adding 'grip' as a solution. I think the rider's seat is pitched slightly too far forward - for me, with my setup. My pants don't really slide on the seat but my weight eventually shifts forward, and things get pretty uncomfortable.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm working on a new mount for the pillion seat to level it and extend the space and use it as an hanger for the soft saddlebag. Already ordered the airhawk cushion to replace the foam. I will post the result when it's done.
I'm thinking about the footpeg lowering for her as well but afraid it's too closed for ball feet position.
I took my wife on a 300 miles trip and she complained that the seat is hard, tried the pillion for 20 mins myself and felt unbearable.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
I'm working on a new mount for the pillion seat to level it and extend the space and use it as an hanger for the soft saddlebag. Already ordered the airhawk cushion to replace the foam. I will post the result when it's done.
I'm thinking about the footpeg lowering for her as well but afraid it's too closed for ball feet position.
I took my wife on a 300 miles trip and she complained that the seat is hard, tried the pillion for 20 mins myself and felt unbearable.
I'm imagining you sitting on the pillion while you're piloting the bike and your wife is just standing on the side of the road facepalm-ing. Haha!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts