GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soooo I returned to using a 190 50 17 after using the 190 55 17 for only about 500 miles...I'm trying the Shinko Raven 190 50 17 as I had already sold my slightly used stock 190 50 17...The Raven errors on the side of high mileage and is a weeeeeeeee bit taller than most 190 50 17. After it was scrubbed in on the backroads around Monterey I enjoyed a ride (nothing too radical as most of us are grandfathers) with friends down to Big Sur...PEACE RIDE SAFE...P.S. Just an aside on the T-Rex fender removal kit...It works well and is easy to install...you'll love the background music in their 'how-to' youtube video to install

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Soooo I returned to using a 190 50 17 after using the 190 55 17 for only about 500 miles...I'm trying the Shinko Raven 190 50 17 as I had already sold my slightly used stock 190 50 17...The Raven errors on the side of high mileage and is a weeeeeeeee bit taller than most 190 50 17. After it was scrubbed in on the backroads around Monterey I enjoyed a ride (nothing too radical as most of us are grandfathers) with friends down to Big Sur...PEACE RIDE SAFE...P.S. Just an aside on the T-Rex fender removal kit...It works well and is easy to install...you'll love the background music in their 'how-to' youtube video to install
Chapter 37
P.S. J&P Cycles shows the height of the different 190 50 17 tires

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
i went back to te 50 also went from s21 55 to s22 50 55 lasted 10.000 miles 55 never felt right going stright on highway always correcting to keep a straight line plus i did feel the extra hight the way i would be seated ....had the feeling i was pushed foward against the tank........50 had close to the same shape as te 55 felt like it did corners the same and was more stable on the highway for street riding ......im sure track riding would be different but i ride in te street

·
Registered
770 Posts
Soooo I returned to using a 190 50 17 after using the 190 55 17 for only about 500 miles...I'm trying the Shinko Raven 190 50 17
Same here. Disappointed though, because the Raven mileage seems like it will only be about the same as the stock tire?
After only like 2000 miles I am getting to where I ordered another rear. Might have something to do with weighing 245 and having a heavy wrist at times?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My wife's cooking is to blame (stopped surfing too) for my weight gain. Soooo I've been following the Dr.Oz diet and so far have lost about 12#...BOTH the Shinko Verge and Raven were given good reviews so I'm going to give them a try...As 99% of my riding is just puttin' around the backroads I'm really not on the freeways that much...It's too bad Suzuki dropped the Katana from its lineup as its seating and front pegs position really helped old farts with old fart knees like me....The small 3.2 gal tank could have been made bigger with a bit of engineering AND the swing arm license plate/fender was another easy fix...PEACE RIDE SAFE

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used the Commander II on my Yamaha (I believe they may have evolved into a III and IV model by now)...they got great mileage...I got the Shinko Raven (it was given good reviews) and I've read good things about the Verge...I'll give'em a go...and report...PEACE RIDE SAFE

·
Registered
120 Posts
i went back to te 50 also went from s21 55 to s22 50 55 lasted 10.000 miles 55 never felt right going stright on highway always correcting to keep a straight line plus i did feel the extra hight the way i would be seated ....had the feeling i was pushed foward against the tank........50 had close to the same shape as te 55 felt like it did corners the same and was more stable on the highway for street riding ......im sure track riding would be different but i ride in te street
Hence why geometry and suspension needs a reset after tyre change I guess backs up Mr Moss?

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
few times i listened to MR Moss i wanted to shoot myself , with his vage in general talk about setup sag ect ect .....makes it sound complicated thats how he makes his money hes a business man ......no matter what you do to suspenision you will feel difference from 50 to 55 might as well adjust every 1000 miles as tire wear and profile change along with adjusting tire pressure because temp is different every day there are people who ride then people who worry about the small stuff

·
Registered
900 Posts
If you're at the track trying to squeeze out tenths of a second it could be useful.
On the road it's a case of "close enough for jazz". I might even be a few psi down from time to time but it's hardly dangerous.

·
Registered
120 Posts
few times i listened to MR Moss i wanted to shoot myself , with his vage in general talk about setup sag ect ect .....makes it sound complicated thats how he makes his money hes a business man ......no matter what you do to suspenision you will feel difference from 50 to 55 might as well adjust every 1000 miles as tire wear and profile change along with adjusting tire pressure because temp is different every day there are people who ride then people who worry about the small stuff
Well that is my point exactly, everything you do changes something as it should. As for being vague i've probably watched all his previews over the last 18months and now have a better understanding of how to ... However i don't just take his way it is confirmed or otherwise by others. Always remember he setups predominately for the track. In conclusion his and others advice has been invaluable to easing the ride here in England with our roads, lol. The suspension is adjustable for a reason.

Kindest Regards
Richard

·
Registered
360 Posts
Very true! That’s why I find it satisfying and relaxing to have a 1995 Vfr750 next to the gixus. I don’t fixate on every little rattle, knock, clunk, or any other noise I hear when I go for a ride on it. So relaxing!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I remember taking a few 'Reg Pridmore' classes years ago at the Monterey 'Laguna Seca' track. I was only in the B level...Pridmore would have us students lower the tire pressure a weeee bit...His instructors would often follow us around the track then critique us in the clubhouse when the A level riders were out on the track. I was riding a 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1000cc (air/oil cooled) at the time...I don't know if he holds classes any longer but he was a great instructor. I remember him saying..."see through the corner, see yourself making the corner"...or "trust your bike...your bike is better than most riders..." His classes actually lowered my insurance premiums a bit...sort of like MSF classes will lower your premiums with some companies...tooooo fast of a pace for me today...but the braking and cornering lessons were greatly appreciated...PEACE RIDE SAFE...P.S. I'll put a few more miles on the Shinko tires then report...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Dave Moss is actually spot on because once you change/ upgrade your suspension/ fork oil & shock oil to a high quality/ high performance oil you will notice a difference in how the bike handles once tires drop/ increase .5 - 1psi or more. But if you run stock suspension or oil in shock/ forks you will never have this issue.. I have to top off my tires each day before I ride because of upgraded suspension / oil in forks/ shock. Its a pain but runs flawlessly & performs great. 1psi off & the bike does not handle good in rear. Lol once you start to mod you can't/ won't go back to stock. You wouldn't want to because of the improvements

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just an alternate take for anyone who happens upon this thread...

I switched to a 190/55, and I'm actually really happy that I did. (This thread gave me a brief pause, but then I did it anyway.) The slight geometry change is a positive to me - between that and the sharper profile of the tire, the bike steers much better than it did. It's still perfectly stable in a straight line, and it's actually more stable than before when leaned over. Whatever small bit of extra weight this change is putting on my wrists, I really don't notice the difference.

Anyway, like anything, your mileage may vary - but, to me, it's definitely an upgrade.

(Bridgestone S22s, fwiw.)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts