GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ahem...

I’m a new rider (passed about 10 months ago) and have gone from a Ducati Monster 821 to a 2018 GSX-S1000 and I’m not exactly sure what to make of it.

I didn’t do a lot of research but loved the look of the bike and felt like it ticked a few boxes.

Now it seems like it’s known for two weak points, the suspension and the snatchy throttle.

Now, the throttle on mine definitely seems snatchy (certainly compared to the Ducati) and it’s particularly noticeable at speeds below 35mph.

I’ve also noticed that my throttle hand is pretty sore even after short rides and I’m not sure if this is because of a new rider death grip, crap gloves or a side effect of the snatchy throttle.

I’ve bought the breakout lead to adjust the TPS and will do the usual adjustment to fix the issue but just wondered if anyone else experienced the same thing?

The suspension is very annoying too.

On the plus side, once you get up to speed, this bike is amazing. So much fun!

·
Registered
629 Posts
The large majority here have experienced the throttle and suspension issues. I own a 2018 and would agree that they are really the only serious issues plaguing the gsxs.

Here's how to fix it.
The rear shock. Throw it away. Replace it with whatever you can afford. Brands include Wilbers, Ktech and Nitron.

Throttle is related to fuelling. TPS adjustment is rarely out of spec and makes little difference to most. An ECU flash removing the fuel cut on decel alone will improve things dramatically.
You can do this locally or a popular option is to mail your ECU to Danos tuning, very cheap and effective.

The Suzuki will always appear "cheaper" than the Ducati. Fit, finish, it's just not on the same level but once you address these problems you will have an incredibly capable bike that is a joy to ride, cheap to run and as reliable as my morning bowel movement.

·
Registered
680 Posts
TPS is ALWAYS out of spec based on all the reports here, dunno what this Aussie is talking about.
Since you already sprung for the breakout I won't bore you with $ saving. If you're reading this and considering the buy, don't. Buy two sewing needles.
Snatchyness is a known. You can learn to ride around it, you can flash the ecu. Getting rid of snatch means ditching engine brake. Your call.
Your sore throttle hand, probably due to the buzz this bike has at cruising rpm. I have gloves that I get numb hands and ones I don't. Deal with it.
Suspension, you bought a 10k bike. Upgrade it or live with it.
Finally, you bought a great bike with a race bike engine. Keep the rpms up. This is not the bike to lug around at 3k.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Strongly disagree on the TPS. If you're handy then there's no harm checking it, no issue on my three Suzukis and the tps.
Also forgot to mention messing with the bar angle, a small change in bar angle can make a reasonable difference in comfort depending on your height and reach.
My hand would get sore in the position set by the dealer, i rolled it back a touch and it's great now.

·
Registered
629 Posts
unnecessary post, i found the ignore troll function :)

·
Registered
285 Posts
I'm extremely happy with my GSXS1000. The best 1000 cc bike in the world for $10K. The suspension and throttle issues can be easily solved. I solved the suspension just by adjusting the big nut on the shock. I moved the nut all the way up now is acceptable. With regards to the throttle I'll send the ECU to Dano's for flashing.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Since you have purchased the cable, you may as well use it. Also take the slack out of the throttle cables. Install a new Katana throttle tube. These 3 things are the best places to start re: snatchiness.

I installed the K-Tech shock, set front sag and all adjustments to the factory recommended clicks. I am around 80kgs without gear. I have no plans to make any further changes to the suspension.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I’ve also noticed that my throttle hand is pretty sore even after short rides and I’m not sure if this is because of a new rider death grip, crap gloves or a side effect of the snatchy throttle.
Most probably the way your hand rests on handlebar or the way you hold throttle. Fiddle around with your handlebar until you get it right.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Check the brake (and clutch) lever is set so that your hand and arm form a straight line when you have your hand on the lever.

Most come from the factory set parallel to the ground which means your hand won't sit naturally.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the replies!

I followed a Dave Moss tuning video on adjusting the levers etc and found it very straightforward to adjust the levers to make the ‘straight line’. I replaced the levers for some short Evotech ones but all of this doesn’t seem to have made much difference. I never adjusted the bar at all so I’ll look at that next.

I’ll have a go at the TPS but by most accounts it seems like the remap is the best solution to that.

I’ll look into the various shock optIons too.

On the bowel movement reliability (lol) that was the main reason I wanted the Suzuki. Just a shame it has these little issues.

My alternatives would have been Japanese (would have gone Honda or Yamaha) and presumably they would have had their own idiosyncrasies...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Your death grip will cause sore hands and snatchy throttle. Your wrist needs to be in a straight line before twisting the throttle, much like you described when lining up your levers. Your grip should be soft enough to flap your elbows (without input to steering) at all times. If you can't you're gripping to tight.

The suspension; adjust the sag in both ends and see what happens. It may work for you and it won't cost a cent. Work from there.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I don't think the suspension is that bad...been riding since i was like 7-8 yrs old...everything & anything i could moto, dirt, street, 3 wheeler, 4 wheeler...
It is not a race bike. It is a budget friendly street moto...
In my opinion one of if not the best budget bike ever!🥰

freakin love it!!!

·
Registered
532 Posts
The TPS on my 2016 was set from factory at 1.03, adjusting it did make it better however it never fixed it, it seems to lunge forward yanking the gearbox chain and ultimately the bike randomly, it doesn't always do it, it's more like every other corner. It's pretty hard to get used to it when it's random.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
2017 model Gixus that I love. i like the handle bar position, but I have moved it on other bikes with some success, so give it a go. I have the Katana throttle but I never used it as I had a Woolich reflash done first. After which the bike is smoother everywhere ( I have a cb1000r and a Z1000sx, this is much smoother), the restrictions on the first 3 gears are removed, removed the fuel cut, earlier opening of the secondary throttle and a fuel map installed (147 rwhp). The front forks are fine for the road even when pushing on (just set the sag and I removed a click of rebound and compression). the rear shock (1 click down on preload and 1.25 out from hard on rebound) is OK for most riding but I wanted full adjustment plus ride height so I put a K-tech on and I really like it. P.S. my tps was fine, but it should be checked. I hope this helps, I came from a BMW s1000r 2018 model to the Gixus and it is to me a more engaging ride. Stay rubber side down and have fun.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ahem...

I’m a new rider (passed about 10 months ago) and have gone from a Ducati Monster 821 to a 2018 GSX-S1000 and I’m not exactly sure what to make of it.

I didn’t do a lot of research but loved the look of the bike and felt like it ticked a few boxes.

Now it seems like it’s known for two weak points, the suspension and the snatchy throttle.

Now, the throttle on mine definitely seems snatchy (certainly compared to the Ducati) and it’s particularly noticeable at speeds below 35mph.

I’ve bought the breakout lead to adjust the TPS and will do the usual adjustment to fix the issue but just wondered if anyone else experienced the same thing?

Hi mate,
I have a 2018 model which I’ve own from new and had the same twitchy throttle, very ignoring. I don’t where you are located but I took my bike to BSD Performance at Eye Green near Peterborough. Fitted a black widow headers, replaced air filter, few tweaks later had a rideable bike. The difference was like night and day. Get there details off FB they do bikes all day every day, well recommended.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ahem...

Got my ECU flashed by 2Wheel Dyno, results are amazing. The fuelling is much improved, engine runs cooler and I’m getting better fuel mileage. Not that it needed it but also got a noticeable increase in power. Currently they are charging $250 for a mail in flash with subsequent flashes free of charge.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts