GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think of these helmets? the SS1600 model has a lot of options for the price and doesn't look half bad!

On 55 reviews only 5-6 somewhat negative reviews.

I'm coming off an older Shoei RF1000 and don't want to spend that much money for a helmet!

This helmet has the space for the speakers, it all comes apart to wash and customize the padding, and it has a flip down sun visor integrated. (I hate night/evening riding with my light smoked shield)

For a sub-$200 bucket this thing is pretty bad @ss

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/speed-and-strength-ss1600-cruise-missile-helmet

:nerd:

·
Registered
719 Posts
i have an older one and it was my go to helmet for a while....was really light and I thought the quality was fine.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
good answers back! I am sold now, just waiting for nicer weather and shop it around to find the right design.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I'm pretty sure Speed and Strength doesn't make their own helmets, they're made by HJC or possibly LS2.

The SS1600 seems to look the same as the Joe Rocket 16 series: RKT 16 Series - Solid - Joe Rocket Canada

Possibly made by the same company?

I do like the way these helmets look, and they are ECE certified and also have an internal sun visor. You can't go wrong. Although if you're willing to pay twice or 3 times as much, a Shoei or Arai might have higher quality fit and finish and be quieter and lighter. But since I tend to get a new helmet every 3 years I would be reluctant to spend too much.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I actually asked Joe Rocket what was up with these exact same helmets, the answer is that Joe Rocket has designed helmets for other companies, but sometimes they like the design so much they incorporate it into their product lines.

So basically Joe Rocket makes/designs helmets for S&S, and maybe others, not the other way around lol

and yes the SS1600 is the RKT 16 Series, but the SS1600 has more design/color choices, either way you encourage a Canadian made product since Joe Rocket made the design/helmet!

·
Registered
974 Posts
Is moto pilot associated with this brand?

·
Registered
974 Posts
He has a motoblog on you tube and does it while riding a gsxs1000f.
I think he either owns or works for the company and one or two of the videos goes into more detail of the brand, I could be wrong though and it may be a different company, search for it on YouTube

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
same helmet here, but really not a fan of the custom helmet like Walterrific and all those guys, just so much crap on the helmet, no way it doesnt get annoying in the wind

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ask a Joe Rocket rep, they design for SS, not all models but some, same for HJC too I think
thus why the SS1600 and RKT 16 are the same helmet

·
Registered
72 Posts
too many gimmicks, starting with the name, for me and i will never buy an helmet that is not Pinlock ready if I intend to use it on the street.
i have quite a few helmets and one of my favorite, obviously cost being a factor, is the HJC FG-17

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
^^either way the Joe Rocket name is sold in the US and this specific helmet is also made by SS, let's not argue about details, but the facts are these helmets are the exact same items with different graphics, but the same basic helmet

as for pinlock, I have no intention to ever track a bike or go on long road trips, so for street use this helmet should be good to go, just need to be sure it fits me well

1 - 20 of 21 Posts