GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey am I the only guy having a hard time feeling secure at high speed on this bike? anything over 100mph and the bars are moving back and forth big time. anyone know of a damper thats made for us yet?

·
Registered
974 Posts
Have you checked your tyre pressures or adjusted the suspension incorrectly, I think a steering damper will just bandaid another problem you have if it fixes it

·
Registered
387 Posts
no problems here, I've had mine over 140 on a few occasions, still solid, I agree with nicka, check your tyres (condition and pressure) and suspension and make sure everything is done up tight

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PSI's are good, I'm running 36f and 38r, i assume the balance is good from factory, only 1k on bike so tire is still good, of course it is a dunlop,, had to replace the rear because of a **** nail. the bikes felt like this since the day i got it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you checked your tyre pressures or adjusted the suspension incorrectly, I think a steering damper will just bandaid another problem you have if it fixes it
i'm 193 lbs and set my front end up with 2 bars out on pre-load and 2 clicks left of firmest the other two, the rear is one click left of firmest and middle pre-load,, sound about right?

·
Registered
974 Posts
i'm 193 lbs and set my front end up with 2 bars out on pre-load and 2 clicks left of firmest the other two, the rear is one click left of firmest and middle pre-load,, sound about right?
I have no idea and would be the last to give advice on how to setup suspension , I'm just suggesting maybe something is not set right with the setup

·
Registered
184 Posts
No problems at redline 6th gear. Suspension has been set up. Im also running 36 front 38 rear psi. But I would like a steering dampener. The only ones I've seen requires cutting the key housing cover though

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No problems at redline 6th gear. Suspension has been set up. Im also running 36 front 38 rear psi. But I would like a steering dampener. The only ones I've seen requires cutting the key housing cover though
what did you find? i haven't seen anything yet

·
Registered
285 Posts
I ride mine on the track twice a month and it gets a flogging, which it loves, the only time the bars ever move , thats not me moving em is full throttle 4th gear over the crest of a hill that generally has a head wind blowing , around 180 to 200 kph and i get a slight shimmy jiggle that does not make me feel the need for a damper, which was fitted standard on my last suzuki, and pretty much had the same little shimmy on this section of the track. Your bike has a definite , back to the dealer , problem if it does not feel 100% ok at the speeds you quote , on a straight flat road.

·
Registered
60 Posts

2 Clicks out on Rebound or Compression? Best thing is to have someone bounce the bike by stepping on the Footpeg, eyball the bike to make sure that both back and rear come back even. Then you can work on front and rear seperate. You want the rebound set so that it comes back and settles smooth after bouncing. You don't want it to go past it's static position when coming back then settle.

Be careful using compression to stiffen up as your then causing the bump force to be sent into the chassis. I haven't had a great chance to try it at 100+ through corners, but it felt pretty stable at 90 ish accelerating through the corner on stock settings.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
2 Clicks out on Rebound or Compression? Best thing is to have someone bounce the bike by stepping on the Footpeg, eyball the bike to make sure that both back and rear come back even. Then you can work on front and rear seperate. You want the rebound set so that it comes back and settles smooth after bouncing. You don't want it to go past it's static position when coming back then settle.

Be careful using compression to stiffen up as your then causing the bump force to be sent into the chassis. I haven't had a great chance to try it at 100+ through corners, but it felt pretty stable at 90 ish accelerating through the corner on stock settings.
yeah i'm thinkin ima call the dealer tomorrow and get it back in, it's anything but stable, the day I picked it my very first thought was this thing needs a damper, dunno what the dealer is going to be able to do for me tho

·
Registered
285 Posts
yeah i'm thinkin ima call the dealer tomorrow and get it back in, it's anything but stable, the day I picked it my very first thought was this thing needs a damper, dunno what the dealer is going to be able to do for me tho
Hopefully fix the problem is what he will do,get the mechanic to ride it , describe your problem ask their advice , they always like that , if there is a problem as you describe , it isn't normal on this bike .

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Sounds totally wrong to me. I weigh about the same and your settings are a lot firmer than mine.
Two things which will make it really twitchy are over taught suspension and pulling back on the bars at speed. So if you don't already, get your head forward, elbows bent and keep the suspension as soft as possible but still in control. Here's a link to some settings some of the guys have posted and a vid which although is for the F model it shows you the process and what to expect. It should be pretty close for the S model too if think
http://www.gsxs1000.org/forum/suspension-brakes/22033-1000-f-suspension-settings-video.html

1 - 15 of 15 Posts