GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So over the weekend, I cleaned and lubed the chain and removed the big red and amber side reflectors ...they just look tacky. ;)
I investigated the best way to do an oil change (first one coming up soon), and I also got a nice ride in.

Here's where my money went.
Picked up some clear lenses for the flashers.
And those would not looks as good without these bulbs.
And I wanted a little more light from my H7s, so I got a pair of these.
I also picked up some HiFlo HF138RC filters.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hey Mike,

Just wanted to share a bit of info i found while researching headlights. If you are happy with the new bulbs,
great. I tried them and wasn't happy. So i had to find out why..THIS website has a lot of good info regarding brightness of bulbs vs color

basically what they're saying is that the color of the bulb does not reflect how bright it is. Just because a bulb puts out whiter light, does not make it actually brighter. since a lot of "performance" bulbs are actually whiter, most people assume they put out more light, when in fact they measured lumens are actually less. Kind of like shining a flash light through the tinted strip at the top of your car's windshield.. less light through tinted glass.

I was a skeptic at first so i had to try it myself and bought some sylvania silverstar ultra plus whatever bulbs.. they were whiter, but actually threw less light on the road in front of me. Maybe those bulbs are an "upgrade" if you have tired/worn out old halogen bulbs, but compared to a relatively new set of quality h7 bulbs, they are pretty dim. The only real way to get MORE light on the road is to up your wattage, or go with something more efficient, like HID's.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input @grisoguy. I've tried these bulbs on another bike and they made a huge difference, but it was a single H4. Still, I hope for an improvement, and if it doesn't work out, I'll probably look into LED. That tech is getting better every day, and I've seen some good reviews on some of the newer ones. With my previous results from this relatively cheap swap though, I'm hopeful that it will be an improvement on the S1000F as well.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I really can't wait for LEDs to catch up. I have had some hid's in the past from theretrofitsource, and last I checked they carry the led bulbs. When I asked the guy about them, he told me if it's not going into a projector housing you won't get the full benefit. Basically the led is a forward firing circuit only. So although it will technically work in a reflector housing and be bright, it won't put the light where it is most useful. I really wanted it to be a solution :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts