GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my first challenge with the girl is the front brake lever gets spongy when the girl sits for a bit but pumps up with a squeeze. It must be air in the lines, I have checked for leaks and there is none. I have not bled them yet which I will do this week. Besides that Is there something else I should look for ?

thank you
Ray

·
Registered
2015 GSX-S1000 ABS
1,731 Posts
Check joints for weeping ? Otherwise bleed master cylinder first.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Noticed same thing on mine since new. You are not alone. Have not tried bleeding yet, because stops OK once running. The fact that am not impressed with the Brembo calipers with nipples aiming the wrong way, has not helped motivating me. I wished it had more humble Nissin or Tokiko calipers, rather than the much vaunted Brembo's, but that what it is, so I guess I'll have to bleed them some time.

Now that you mentioned it. Am interested in your findings.

·
Registered
16 Posts
So my first challenge with the girl is the front brake lever gets spongy when the girl sits for a bit but pumps up with a squeeze. It must be air in the lines, I have checked for leaks and there is none. I have not bled them yet which I will do this week. Besides that Is there something else I should look for ?
Unlikely to be air in the lines, 'cause once it's out there should be no way for it to get back in. And it would be spongy all the time not just after sitting.

Had similar symptoms on a ZX14 recently and it turned out to be a warped rotor. Sounds odd but the pistons on one side had to travel further than the pistons on the other resulting in that spongy feeling. Replaced the rotor and now works great.

Easy to check: Raise your front wheel and spin it while looking at the rotating rotors. If it's off you'll notice it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unlikely to be air in the lines, 'cause once it's out there should be no way for it to get back in. And it would be spongy all the time not just after sitting.

Had similar symptoms on a ZX14 recently and it turned out to be a warped rotor. Sounds odd but the pistons on one side had to travel further than the pistons on the other resulting in that spongy feeling. Replaced the rotor and now works great.

Easy to check: Raise your front wheel and spin it while looking at the rotating rotors. If it's off you'll notice it.
wishful thinking that bleeding will help .. brand new bike so hopefully it is not a rotor.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
How much of a pumping action are we talking?
If Ive been working the brakes hard I get the same. I need half a pump the first time I engaged the brake and then it all works normally.
I've put it down to hot discs and normal contraction of the disc after it cools. The bikes always been like it from new.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How much of a pumping action are we talking?
If Ive been working the brakes hard I get the same. I need half a pump the first time I engaged the brake and then it all works normally.
I've put it down to hot discs and normal contraction of the disc after it cools. The bikes always been like it from new.
just a partial squeeze
Coming from multiple Kawasaki I have never experienced this before

·
Registered
16 Posts
wishful thinking that bleeding will help .. brand new bike so hopefully it is not a rotor.
I figured that's a long shot but thought I'd mention it because the ZX didn't have a mark on it either and only found the problem because everything else had me stumped. I'd take the calipers off and remount them just to make sure everything is on straight. It's amazing how little something has to be off to affect brake feel.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
just a partial squeeze
Coming from multiple Kawasaki I have never experienced this before
Sounds the same as mine. I'd still check the wheel alignment and make sure the discs are running true but it might be quite normal

·
Registered
55 Posts

thank you
Ray
This is normal because our suzy fit with a basic master cylinder from Nissin. The rotor is good event after 70k km use. At first, I thought there is an air bubble in the line. I did change to HEL steel braided line, put Brembo brake oil and change the pads to SBS road racing and track day (841RS), this spongy still not fix but the bite from this pads is good. The ABS make it worse during late braking in track. Did ask around if change to Nissin sport master cylinder (95654 & 95658) will fix this but all reply say to upgrade to Brembo. Now waiting for Brembo RCS 19 Corsa Corta to arrive. Can check Dave Moss Tune Youtube Trash or Treasure: '05 GSX-R750 Front Brake System Install. Forward video to 30:09

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all for the info ....Sounds like a Suzi Quirk I am not excited about though.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Do you have ABS? They can be PITA, very hard to get every bit of air out. A spongy lever is not a quirk. Having it firm up after a few pumps is a classic symptom of an air bubble somewhere in the line. The fittings may be letting in a bit of air.

If you really want to go after it, I'd loosen and tighten all the fittings (making sure fluid never runs empty). Then bleed the furthest caliper from the master, bleed the other caliper, then bleed the master. When you're ready to switch to the next bleed spot (caliper, caliper, master), you can zip tie the lever and lightly tap the lines to try and work the air out, bleed once more, and then move to the next spot. I prefer the old school way of bleeding with a wrench and a hose. I use the vacuum bleeder if I'm trying to move a lot fluid through the lines, but always finish each bleed manually.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do you have ABS? They can be PITA, very hard to get every bit of air out. A spongy lever is not a quirk. Having it firm up after a few pumps is a classic symptom of an air bubble somewhere in the line. The fittings may be letting in a bit of air.
yes I have ABS

·
Registered
Suzuki GSX-S 1000
427 Posts
having this issue for ages after installing the HEL Lines , turns out (I have learned not to overtighten bolts) my ABS line wasn't tight enough - I'm replacing the stock ABS line with a custom HEL tomorrow after I measure it up (i took out the wrong line when installing the front hoses & mashed up the metal hosing when trying to put it back - works but it annoys me & looks sh1te) £30.

The lever is now firm enough to brake with the a finger , I'm also running SBS pads

it's also worth loosening the caliper bolts , aligning the caliper , squeezing the brake while aligned & then Tightening while squeezing the brake.

impact driver helps if it has torque settings , my milwaukee has a torque set that's lower than 10nm/7ft lbs so i can screw up every nut and bolt 10 times faster without any damage to the bolts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello. Sorry for my English, I'm from Spain.
I will tell how I solved my spongy lever.
I have had problems with the front brake for a year. I have bled pump and calipers twice without success. She fixes but eventually fails again. A few days ago, braking slowly, I noticed how one disc braked first and then another. I disassembled calipers, removed pistons, cleaned with degreaser and reassembled. Problem solved!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you for the reply ... sorta of crazy this would needed to on a brand new bike though

·
Registered
131 Posts
First thing i noticed was a spongy front brake when I bought mine...I have not done anything about it though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts