GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see Renthal have released a range of rear sprockets, so I'm guessing that the gearbox sprocket is the same as on the GSXR1000K5/6 ? Would be interested to know as I usually go for the -1 gearbox and +1 rear
If anyone knows about the gearbox sprocket fitment then please let me know

·
Registered
190 Posts
I see Renthal have released a range of rear sprockets, so I'm guessing that the gearbox sprocket is the same as on the GSXR1000K5/6 ? Would be interested to know as I usually go for the -1 gearbox and +1 rear
If anyone knows about the gearbox sprocket fitment then please let me know
Think I read somewhere the gearbox is the same but +2 on the rear. Might be wrong though!

·
Registered
53 Posts
im curious aswell want to go down -1 or 2 in the back but not sure what to order from what yr

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Renthal are making the rear sprockets specific for the GSX-S, you can buy direct from them but I also see that AR Racing in the UK have them listed on EBay in 43,44,45,46 and 47 tooth options. I've bought from them before direct off their own web site and they were very helpful. I'm not at home so can't check what the standard front or rear tooth number is, but that range should be sufficient I hope. So that just leaves the question as to whether a gearbox sprocket that fits a k5 GSXR will fit the GSX-S, again hopefully that is the case and it's a simple job to order one with the number of teeth you want. I will stick to -1 front and plus 1 rear as top speed is irrelevant over here but I've found the lower gearing makes for more entertainment value....

·
Registered
116 Posts
Attention guy...
GSX-R 1000 k5 have 17-42 gear ratio but che chain is a 530 and NOT 525 like our GSX-S.
May it change something?

For my personal likes the OEM 17-44 is a little bit short and maybe is better -2 on rear.
I think is impossible to fit a 18 tooth front sprocket.

Reactions: archie lao

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah well that ends that line, anyone know if there is a gearbox sprocket fitment that can be used on the GSX?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Going -1 on the rear

im curious aswell want to go down -1 or 2 in the back but not sure what to order from what yr
I just ordered a 43 tooth Renthal (Tucker Rocky Distributing Part #800078 ) for our GSXs' . -1 tooth in the rear and a gold Ek chain for bling. I've run RK Chain a lot until I tried EK and EK lasts like twice as long.

My goal is to bring down the Rev's at my 75mph cruise speed and increase fuel mileage.

I'll post the results here next week after install. I'll also post a new thread for others to find.

·
Registered
122 Posts
just fitted an 18tooth jt sprocket on front originally intended for z1000. Sprocket has a shoulder built in so no need for washer under gearbox nut. Also as previously disclosed got a 42 tooth sprocket on rear. Both 525 chain width.Not sure if I have gone too far though but bike is still quick and long in the tooth in all gears. Ideal if all I did were motorway miles.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am not concerned about fuel consumption but rather fun factor. This bike brand new (not even broken in yet) is getting excellent fuel range. I will probably be going with +2 in the rear so I can change the stock sprocket with a black one!!! The bike will be a freak and to keep the front wheel down will take some concentration. But I am a fat ******* so I am not too worried about that! As for the higher cruising RPMs--I will just enjoy the beautiful howling even more!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ha ha--I ordered one. $35 Close-out at SprocketCenter for a Superlite Black 46T. If it is too crazy I will go back to stock. This is going to be FUN!!!

Reactions: Nikga

·
Registered
305 Posts
just fitted an 18tooth jt sprocket on front originally intended for z1000. Sprocket has a shoulder built in so no need for washer under gearbox nut. Also as previously disclosed got a 42 tooth sprocket on rear. Both 525 chain width.Not sure if I have gone too far though but bike is still quick and long in the tooth in all gears. Ideal if all I did were motorway miles.
I think you have bought the wrong bike..;)

·
Registered
305 Posts
What would have been a better choice?
Something more in the (sport)touring segment?

This is a street-fighter.
Most "modders" want to change sprockets for more "fun" (down in the front + up in the back).
Personally I like the stock gearing, and the fueling/milage is so good stock that I can only think you will get a "sluggish" bike that uses more fuel (on average).

·
Registered
122 Posts
Sports touring bikes are usually sluggish in the handling department and generally heavier. Most of my journeys are not long and yet III like to speed around on occasion and find the acceleration and handling of this bike to be intoxicating.
It is still quicker than my SV1000 and hornet 900 and does not have the clumbersome bulk of a sports tourer. But I can see why you might be of the opinion that in my case rider and bike are mismatched.
Fuelling wise I may resort back to --2teeth on the back sprocket only as the last increase in gearing does not appear to have given rise to a significant decrees in fuel consumption that I would have liked.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Fuelling wise I may resort back to --2teeth on the back sprocket only as the last increase in gearing does not appear to have given rise to a significant decrees in fuel consumption that I would have liked.
I think that would be a bit more "sensible" approach.
But I understand your "quest" for a higher gearing in cruising range.
:)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts