GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello as title are stock oem plugs irirdium? I’m at 7900 miles so die my 7500 service, are plugs really essential now? Just curious what people’s thoughts are I will call dealership Tommorow to get a price tbh I can do it all myself but just to see.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I felt it was unnecessary to swap plugs at such low mileage, especially iridium. Plenty have kept there's in much longer and have had no issues. My dealer didn't want to swap them out at that interval.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I felt it was unnecessary to swap plugs at such low mileage, especially iridium. Plenty have kept there's in much longer and have had no issues. My dealer didn't want to swap them out at that interval.
My dealer did the same. He inspected them, couldn’t find anything wrong with them and put them back in.
I changed them at the 15k miles service instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Won't look at my current set until they've done at least 20,000 miles.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys saved me some doh! I will just do oil filter service myself then, air filter looked fine too

·
Registered
297 Posts
Why do you think that Suzuki put a change interval of 7500 miles on the plugs in the first place? I have changed mine twice at the recommended 7500 miles and they looked fine Each time. It’s getting to be that time again but I don’t feel like digging that deep into the bike to do it again.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Why do you think that Suzuki put a change interval of 7500 miles on the plugs in the first place? I have changed mine twice at the recommended 7500 miles and they looked fine Each time. It’s getting to be that time again but I don’t feel like digging that deep into the bike to do it again.
It's a source of income for the dealers like the valve clearance check @ 15000 miles.
At least my dealer was honest enough to say its not strictly necessary and offered services omitting those items.

Reactions: Rusty

·
Registered
81 Posts
The only reason I would remove the plugs would be to stop carbon from building up on the last thread if it was partially exposed, which can cause problems,other than that they won't need replacing

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I seam to recall reading somewhere that the Honda CBR 1000 has a 30000 mile service interval on their plugs and I’m pretty sure they use the same ones.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I seam to recall reading somewhere that the Honda CBR 1000 has a 30000 mile service interval on their plugs and I’m pretty sure they use the same ones.

Yep 32k on blades, but there has been a spate of posts recently on the forum I'm on where swapping them earlier has solved issues.

·
Registered
297 Posts
OK I think I will go with double the Suzuki recommendation for plugs. Its not the money, but its is the hassle getting to them. I don't really trust the dealers around here and I have been doing all my own maintenance.

·
Registered
297 Posts
didi, that is one dirty air filter! Thanks for the pics. So that was about 25K miles and the plug does not look too good.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts