GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone found a steering damper that can be adapted to the new GT? I have checked all the top mount units and the key/steering lock are in the way. There must be a bottom mount from another year or model that will adapt to the new bikes. Any suggestions?

· Registered
9 Posts
I went with the Max Racing Radial Damper. I messaged "Max Racing Europe" on Facebook and requested a unit for the '22 GT, they invoiced me via PayPal and a week later it was in my hands. To be fair, I did modify this setup slightly to address your concerns about room for the the ignition area. I shortened the bar by 1/2" and then rounded the bar edges and the receiver edges with a file and then put a quick lick of matte black paint over the filed area. The finished product looks good and works great. It doesn't get in the way of the key in any way. I'm super happy and now I have a little piece of mind when pushing the bike hard at silly speeds.

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system

Hood Motor vehicle Gear shift Automotive design Automotive tire
Automotive tire Light Motor vehicle Black Automotive design

· Registered
9 Posts
What were the mods you had to do to make it fit? And what do you think of the unit you selected?
The only mod required to make it fit was to trim some of the plastic on the ignition surround per their instructions. Simple to do and fits perfect. Other than shortening the bar from the damper and rounding the edges (my preference), there were no additional mods needed. Fits great and works exactly as expected.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I saw on the YouTube instruction video, the template to cut out the plastic ignition surround. Where did you cut the bar and round the edges? Was there a potential area of
hang up on the bar that should have been addressed by the factory? I really feel this bike needs the steering damper, coming out of corners at middle high speeds, when wacking the throttle open, or when using the quickshift from 4th to 5th or 5th to 6th.

· Registered
9 Posts
I saw on the YouTube instruction video, the template to cut out the plastic ignition surround. Where did you cut the bar and round the edges? Was there a potential area of
hang up on the bar that should have been addressed by the factory? I really feel this bike needs the steering damper, coming out of corners at middle high speeds, when wacking the throttle open, or when using the quickshift from 4th to 5th or 5th to 6th.
The Max Racing damper itself really didn't need to be modified to work. You could install their damper exactly the way it came from the factory and probably be perfectly happy with it. I however didn't like that the bar hung over the receiver bracket by 1/2" encroaching on the ignition key area. I felt that I could improve on it with minimal effort so I altered it slightly to satisfy my OCD just a bit.

· Registered
156 Posts
Interesting... I feel no need whatsoever for a steering damper on this one, and at times I've certainly not been gentle with it (though I do work toward smoothness).
My '08 ZX-10R on the other hand... that felt like it needed a better one, because it already had a stock one and still occasionally felt like it was about to send me flying. Never did though.

Anyway, sorry I'm no help... Just casually observing. 🙂

· Registered
2022 GSX-S1000GT+ blue
264 Posts
I definitely have felt it when railing down a curvy road with high speed turns and coming over slight rises. I wondered if someone would offer one.

· Registered
21 Posts
Interesting... I feel no need whatsoever for a steering damper on this one, and at times I've certainly not been gentle with it (though I do work toward smoothness).
My '08 ZX-10R on the other hand... that felt like it needed a better one, because it already had a stock one and still occasionally felt like it was about to send me flying. Never did though.
This older video by Dunlop shows why high and low speed wobbled develop, and how to get out of them.

Slow-motion of high speed wobbles show the rear and front tire going in opposite directions, and that is usually caused by a flat-spotted rear tire compared to the rounded front tire. The rear tire will tend to go straight while the front tire will resist until it flops to one side; the mismatched profiles then predictably and quickly develop a steady speed wobble. I would guess all motorcycles would speed wobble at a high enough speed.

Although the video doesn't say why, tucking forward will instantly stop the speed wobble. Accelerating, braking, sitting up, or doing whatever you're doing to develop the conditions of the speed wobble will make the speed wobble worse.

Anecdotally, I've never had a speed wobble on any bike that I've owned but I find flat-spotted rear tires extremely uncomfortable to ride on, and so will replace tire sets rather frequently even if there's plenty of tire tread.

· Registered
150 Posts
Awesome video. I loved it and it explained things to me that I didn't know. I wrote off one of those Suzukis for exactly that reason. Glad to see it wasn't something I did. And it was the trigger for me to learn to ride properly. Thanks for sharing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts