1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Nope

·
Registered
236 Posts
The F version is about the most planted front end I have ridden. and believe me i have ridden a few. this is the 17th bike i have owned and ridden countless others

·
Registered
2 Posts
IMHO I think it does require a damper. Especially when pushed hard.
What are people's choices/ opinions and best option to suit the gsx-s1000? I am keen to look into this for my bike. What are the best?

·
Registered
647 Posts
When I emailed hyperpro about a damper the rep told me the bike didn't need one and that if the head is shaking a bit coming out of corners on hard gas then what I actually need is this... Streetbox! - Hyperpro | English
He said the new suspension would be about the same price as a damper.
I have since sorted out the sag and softened the suspension up and it's much better now.
I will get the suspension sorted but only after all the warranties have run out.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I tend to upgrade the suspension on most of my bikes over the years sooner or later, but would certainly hold out for at least 6 months to see if it's worth the expense and to let the bike settle in.
If the standard suspension is not cutting it the expense is certainly worth it.
Generally in Australia a $2000 budget is required if going for new rear spring and shock set up and front fork internals set up for your weight. I like the Hyperpro gear and have used many times in various machines.
Surprised you were advised that no steering damper was required, and at a few hundred bucks for one a damper is certainly not the same price as all the other suspension components listed surely?

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
ackack wrote,
I have since sorted out the sag and softened the suspension up and it's much better now.
I weigh about 170lbs with my gear on.
I have sorted the sag; one division less pre-load on the front and one notch less on the rear shock.
I have 5 clicks less compression and 3 clicks less rebound on the front.
Rear damping 1/8 turn less.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Here are the emails from the Hyperpro rep;

That is the balance of the bike that is wrong.

Mounting a steeringdamper will only mask the actual problem.

If you exchange the forksprings and rear shock, then the bike will be far better balanced, and the need for a steeringdamper will be gone.

Furthermore, the overall performance of the bike will be better as well with the springs and shock (keeping it’s line, tire wear, braking distance, faster cornering, etc.)

With regards to pricing here is what he also said;

A steeringdamper will cost you around €500,-

A streetbox (complete replacement shock, forksprings, and oil) €555,-

So the decision is not that hard J

Regards,

John Troost

Hyperpro

·
Registered
647 Posts
ackack wrote,
I weigh about 170lbs with my gear on.
I have sorted the sag; one division less pre-load on the front and one notch less on the rear shock.
I have 5 clicks less compression and 3 clicks less rebound on the front.
Rear damping 1/8 turn less.
I've got my settings written down in the garage and I think I'm not too far off you.
I'll have a look later when if it ever stops raining.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Suspension settings

Would be nice if everyone who adjusted their suspension shared their settings and opinions of how it has improved the bike. Settings will be different for us faired boys tho I think

·
Registered
647 Posts
Would be nice if everyone who adjusted their suspension shared their settings and opinions of how it has improved the bike. Settings will be different for us faired boys tho I think
Good idea, I'll get mine later.

Wow £500 for a damper.
That's pricey, would have thought £100 to £200 would have been the price range.
Exactly what I thought.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Gsxr compression needles suck, so if anyone is doing anything to the fork internals, please replace the needles. Might as well just do new valves, springs, oil, and setup.

·
Registered
299 Posts
They can say that about every bike.....if the suspension adjustment is correct, a damper is not needed. That's true for all bikes. Nobody would make a bike that couldn't function safely without a steering damper.

That makes me ask myself why so many hi performance bikes come with steering dampers. Because when accelerating hard out of a corner, the front end can get twitchy when it gets light. That's the same for all bikes, and this bike has enough acceleration power.

My suspension is setup right, but I still want a steering damper.

Someone will make one, it's just a matter of time. No one makes one yet, but they will.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts