GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
299 Posts
They can say that about every bike.....if the suspension adjustment is correct, a damper is not needed. That's true for all bikes. Nobody would make a bike that couldn't function safely without a steering damper.

That makes me ask myself why so many hi performance bikes come with steering dampers. Because when accelerating hard out of a corner, the front end can get twitchy when it gets light. That's the same for all bikes, and this bike has enough acceleration power.

My suspension is setup right, but I still want a steering damper.

Someone will make one, it's just a matter of time. No one makes one yet, but they will.

· Registered
299 Posts
Did a 300 mile ride this weekend to Sanibel Island with a good friend who let me ride his 2015 Aprilia RSV Mille V4 for nearly the entire way there.

Let me start off by saying that there's no comparison in these 2 bikes. The Aprilia is a quality machine. Absolutely solid. Plus the 180 horsepower from that V4 was simply incredible.

The biggest thing I noticed was how planted the bike was at any speed, over any road imperfection. Straight as an arrow, solid as a rock! Impressed!

I got back on my spaghetti noodle and felt like I was all over the place. The bike is just not solid at all compared to the Aprilia.

Upon further inspection, we found the reason for that was because the Aprilia had a steering stabilizer which helped keep that front end pointing straight over any surface at any speed to any acceleration degree.

For hi speed aggressive riding.....the GSXS definitely needs a steering damper and should have come with one from the factory. For putt putting around town and speed-limit riding, it doesn't need one. But then, none of them do for that. For aggressive pushing-the-limits riding........it absolutely definitely has to have one!

I spoke with GPR and they said they're working one now and plan to release it in 2016.

· Registered
299 Posts
Yeah that's the one. I forgot the exact name. Sweet ride though!

Reactions: lee711

· Registered
299 Posts
I did a ride from Naples to Fort Lauderdale on Sunday. 1 1/2 hour straight shot ride on Alligator Alley at speeds between 95 and 120. It was a very turbulent and windy day. About 50 times, the turbulent wind at high speeds caused head shakes. Especially when passing 18 wheelers. Not big ones, but even little ones at 120 in that kind of wind was enough to make me want a damper.

So we pulled over on Snake Road for gas and I switched bikes again with my friend to ride his Aprilia RSV4, that had an OEM damper. The bike was rock solid. I could have ridden through a hurricane while sipping tea!

Steering dampers are for more than just racing. I'm getting one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.