GSXS 1000 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 87 Posts

· Registered
451 Posts
I like what the hyperpro guy had to say. As far as price, I really hate to say this. I'm all about saving money if I can, but if the price of a new damper stops you, buy used. As much as you dont NEED one, if you try one , you'll want one. They really are that nice.

· Registered
299 Posts
Did a 300 mile ride this weekend to Sanibel Island with a good friend who let me ride his 2015 Aprilia RSV Mille V4 for nearly the entire way there.

Let me start off by saying that there's no comparison in these 2 bikes. The Aprilia is a quality machine. Absolutely solid. Plus the 180 horsepower from that V4 was simply incredible.

The biggest thing I noticed was how planted the bike was at any speed, over any road imperfection. Straight as an arrow, solid as a rock! Impressed!

I got back on my spaghetti noodle and felt like I was all over the place. The bike is just not solid at all compared to the Aprilia.

Upon further inspection, we found the reason for that was because the Aprilia had a steering stabilizer which helped keep that front end pointing straight over any surface at any speed to any acceleration degree.

For hi speed aggressive riding.....the GSXS definitely needs a steering damper and should have come with one from the factory. For putt putting around town and speed-limit riding, it doesn't need one. But then, none of them do for that. For aggressive pushing-the-limits riding........it absolutely definitely has to have one!

I spoke with GPR and they said they're working one now and plan to release it in 2016.

· Registered
299 Posts
Yeah that's the one. I forgot the exact name. Sweet ride though!

Reactions: lee711

· Registered
285 Posts
yee haa

It hasn't got one and doesn't need one.
Love it. There is no right or wrong answer to the question. My bench mark is the exit to a favourite corner that if I got it right I saw 160kph as I hit the rise at the exit. On previous bike ,with steering damper,it had a slight head shake , then settled. Nice.
GSXS has way more power and I hit the same rise , if i get it right, at 180 kph, slight head shake,then nice,with no steering damper, my conclusion , for me I don't need a damper. For you if you hit my bench mark rise at 200kph because you exited the corner better than me , easily possible I am not a racer, and you get more than the little head shake i get, by all means be smart and invest in a damper . If not it's just bling. Hey nothing wrong with bling , it's just what do you want to spend money on. For me its tyres that grip , buggar the mileage , haven't got time for touring at the moment , PS I am very biased , I love this bike , in 46 yrs of riding
most fun best value ever.......

· Registered
285 Posts
used

I like what the hyperpro guy had to say. As far as price, I really hate to say this. I'm all about saving money if I can, but if the price of a new damper stops you, buy used. As much as you dont NEED one, if you try one , you'll want one. They really are that nice.
Nah used dampers usually shot to pieces buy new or don't bother

· Registered
285 Posts
Did a 300 mile ride this weekend to Sanibel Island with a good friend who let me ride his 2015 Aprilia RSV Mille V4 for nearly the entire way there.

Let me start off by saying that there's no comparison in these 2 bikes. The Aprilia is a quality machine. Absolutely solid. Plus the 180 horsepower from that V4 was simply incredible.

The biggest thing I noticed was how planted the bike was at any speed, over any road imperfection. Straight as an arrow, solid as a rock! Impressed!

I got back on my spaghetti noodle and felt like I was all over the place. The bike is just not solid at all compared to the Aprilia.

Upon further inspection, we found the reason for that was because the Aprilia had a steering stabilizer which helped keep that front end pointing straight over any surface at any speed to any acceleration degree.

For hi speed aggressive riding.....the GSXS definitely needs a steering damper and should have come with one from the factory. For putt putting around town and speed-limit riding, it doesn't need one. But then, none of them do for that. For aggressive pushing-the-limits riding........it absolutely definitely has to have one!

I spoke with GPR and they said they're working one now and plan to release it in 2016.
I can buy 2 GSXS 1000 for the price of the prilla, we're not comparing apples with apples here , and no it really doesn't need a damper

· Registered
299 Posts
I did a ride from Naples to Fort Lauderdale on Sunday. 1 1/2 hour straight shot ride on Alligator Alley at speeds between 95 and 120. It was a very turbulent and windy day. About 50 times, the turbulent wind at high speeds caused head shakes. Especially when passing 18 wheelers. Not big ones, but even little ones at 120 in that kind of wind was enough to make me want a damper.

So we pulled over on Snake Road for gas and I switched bikes again with my friend to ride his Aprilia RSV4, that had an OEM damper. The bike was rock solid. I could have ridden through a hurricane while sipping tea!

Steering dampers are for more than just racing. I'm getting one.

· Registered
1,403 Posts
Steering dampers are for more than just racing. I'm getting one.
Good for you. Just remember the RSV4 also comes with full Ohlins suspension too and is renowned for being one of the best handling bikes out there at the moment.
It might take more than a steering damper to get what you are looking for ;)
A good suspension setup can negate the need for a damper or let you push the bike much further before it becomes unsettled

· Registered
439 Posts
I would want one as well.. but honestly hard canyon riding and excessive track days still hasnt scared me into thinking it needs one. Its fine without but id rather it be there.

NOTE!!!! I did have the suspension setup so it BADLY needs it... else you will wobble everywhere...

first thing i do on any bike i get on... new tires for my riding... and suspension adjustment... BS levers and sliders are always an afterthought.

· Registered
328 Posts
I've been chatting to my suspension guy about getting a Nitron shock and Nitron pistons put into the forks and he mentioned dampers. Here's what he had to say; I thought others may find it interesting.

"STEERING DAMPERS. Ohlins range of steering dampers is increasingly abysmal and frankly too many of the other brands of steering dampers on the market are fragile and generally "junky". We are now sourcing Belgian made Toby steering dampers and are very happy with them. On our suspension dyno they exhibit much less hysterisis (resulting in a lag in damping response on stroke reversal) than Ohlins. They are very robust in construction and are fully rebuildable and we have the tools and spare parts. In France they have been on the race winning bikes in the Bol d Or 24 hours endurance race over the last few years and you don't fit substandard steering dampers to endurance bikes!"

Unfortunately for New Zealand they are still a few months away. Checked the Toby site TOBY's COMPANY - steering dampers and kits for motorbikes, quad, racing, road, mx and they don't list our motorcycle yet, but might be worth an enquiry as they are in the works.

· Registered
75 Posts
Yeah I keep hearing people talk about how solid this bike is and i'm not feelin it, the day i picked it up it was wobbbling on the hwy getting it home, I went soft and then i went firm and its still not a "planted front end", not by a long shot. I've been on R's for the last 14 years and know what a "planted front end" feels like and this bike i have ,, ain't it,, maybe yours is, but this one I have,, ain't... So I'm very interested in knowing when one comes up for us too, I'm with you thumper, any wobble is too much wobble

· Registered
60 Posts
I was able to stiffen it up a bit and get the front planted better, but on a lot of my roads the front still is not as settled as I would like it to be over little tar strips. I just like the damper as safety precaution that will increase my chance of saving a slapper if I get one. MY worst slapper was after I lit the rear up in 2nd gear on my CBR 900RR but after sitting back and pitting the throttle again it corrected right up. The Damper is nice to help in case of a slapper from it getting worse fast.

From the way the bike is made I don't foresee any MFG making one. The Steering stem doesn't have enough room for one and also with that no place to anchor it. There is no place under the triple clamp to mount one and not even enough room to do the old style bolt to the frame and a clamp around a fork tube.

I would be shocked to see one made for this bike, but would be nice as I am planning a turbo for mine and shooting for 200+ HP at some point.

· Premium Member
365 Posts
I'm thinking about picking up a damper, but I'm not sure if it's necessary or not. The only time I get the bars shaking is if I'm on it real hard slamming through the gears. When the front end gets light and lifts a bit I can feel the tire hunting for grip since there's barely any weight on it (this has been the case with every bike I've ridden so I considered it normal). Once I put more weight on the front it's fine.

I know absolutely nothing about suspension and I really like the stock settings the GSXS came with. Maybe I'll have a suspension shop dial it in for me. I'm about 200 pounds fully geared up if someone around that weight could chime in with their preload, rebound, and compression settings.

· Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I'm thinking about picking up a damper, but I'm not sure if it's necessary or not. The only time I get the bars shaking is if I'm on it real hard slamming through the gears. When the front end gets light and lifts a bit I can feel the tire hunting for grip since there's barely any weight on it (this has been the case with every bike I've ridden so I considered it normal). Once I put more weight on the front it's fine.

I know absolutely nothing about suspension and I really like the stock settings the GSXS came with. Maybe I'll have a suspension shop dial it in for me. I'm about 200 pounds fully geared up if someone around that weight could chime in with their preload, rebound, and compression settings.
Haven't yet heard of any tankslappers.... But I notice the GSX-R1000 as does me ol SV1000 has a steering damper....:confused::)

21 - 40 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.