GSXS 1000 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 87 Posts

· Registered
1,389 Posts
Guys,
The Owners Handbook has these stats for the GSXS1000.

Caster:25 Degree.
Trail: 100 mm
Steering Angle:31 Degree

Harding very race bike settings I think, and look generic Suzuki to me. And the trail at 100 mm is on conservative side to any prevent tank slappers. Memories from my Bandit's 1250 suggests 107 mm for it.
Suzuki begrudgingly retrofitted s/dampers to the TLS V twin after a safety outcry after a few crashes and the TLR race replica followed suit.
I think Suzuki fit them now for window dressing to the GSXR's to 'gilt the lily' and save a future USA law suit along the way.

Personally, I have had only 1 full on, side of the tank to the other slapper for about 5 seconds (seemed forever).

The was a sign which said "Land slip Ahead" on this back road 80 kph road to Nimbin.
About 2 Km's later I found it downhill at on a 80 kph straight as there was no further warning sign. I was on my GSXR750 94 model, I think.

The entire road had dropped 300 mm at a 45 degree line across the roadway, but the tar was not broken but just bevelled down also at 45 degree as the Council must had done emergency repairs apparently, but a fair time back and forgotten about it. Too much weed around there.

It was the most violent experience I want to have, so sudden, and you can't decide to let go, I was just along for the ride.
Boy, the 2 thumbs were sore for a while !

Rob.

· Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Guys,
The Owners Handbook has these stats for the GSXS1000.

Caster:25 Degree.
Trail: 100 mm
Steering Angle:31 Degree

Harding very race bike settings I think, and look generic Suzuki to me. And the trail at 100 mm is on conservative side to any prevent tank slappers. Memories from my Bandit's 1250 suggests 107 mm for it.
Suzuki begrudgingly retrofitted s/dampers to the TLS V twin after a safety outcry after a few crashes and the TLR race replica followed suit.
I think Suzuki fit them now for window dressing to the GSXR's to 'gilt the lily' and save a future USA law suit along the way.

Personally, I have had only 1 full on, side of the tank to the other slapper for about 5 seconds (seemed forever).

The was a sign which said "Land slip Ahead" on this back road 80 kph road to Nimbin.
About 2 Km's later I found it downhill at on a 80 kph straight as there was no further warning sign. I was on my GSXR750 94 model, I think.

The entire road had dropped 300 mm at a 45 degree line across the roadway, but the tar was not broken but just bevelled down also at 45 degree as the Council must had done emergency repairs apparently, but a fair time back and forgotten about it. Too much weed around there.

It was the most violent experience I want to have, so sudden, and you can't decide to let go, I was just along for the ride.
Boy, the 2 thumbs were sore for a while !

Rob.
Ahhh I can go one better than that, back in the day I was very nearly murdered by the one and only original widow maker a Kawasaki 750 H2.... 90mph tank slapper = six months in the broken bones ward + year off work...:eek:

· Registered
1,389 Posts
Ahhh I can go one better than that, back in the day I was very nearly murdered by the one and only original widow maker a Kawasaki 750 H2.... 90mph tank slapper = six months in the broken bones ward + year off work...:eek:
Tony,
You are "True Blue Motorcyclist" to come back after that lot OR left part of the frontal brain on the roadway or a bit of both.

I'll bet your Mum said NO NO NO ! to any more bikes too, BUT you promised to be careful, grow up, never ever ride a bike again in those circumstances AND wait the 40 years till the 'ULTRA SAFE' Suzuki GSXS1K was on sale in 2015.

The young blokes here have missed the thrill of those then new 1970's Jap 2 stroker's, the smell of the Castrol M fumes in your face following your Mates along the windy road. All power and no chassis then.

Hope the dreaded arthritis hasn't caught up to you yet; that's the broken bones and joint curse that reminds you of your bike adventures in the A & E Ward.

Rob.

· Registered
9 Posts
I too have a MaxRacing steering damper and it is top notch, works great. this bike definitely needed one.

· Registered
706 Posts
no bike NEEDS a damper....
EVERY naked will benefit from one.....especially above 70-80MPH.....Nakeds dont slice through the wind like a fared bike and will have some degree of lift at those speeds.....I've never driven a naked bike with a stabilizer that didn't handle better after it was installed.......that also doesn't not mean the bike handled bad without it.....with that said our bikes handle pretty good without.

Consider this though, some of our more expensive competitors come from the factory with them pre installed....from the KTM superduke 1290 home page,

"STEERING DAMPER
With so much propulsive power, the front wheel could become very light, which might lead to unpleasant kick-back on uneven roads or following a slight stimulus at the handlebar. The 1290 SUPER DUKE R prevents this safely with a reliable and sensitive WP steering damper."

· Registered
9 Posts
Easy enough, less than 1 hour. I suggest using a piece of tape to mark the position of your handle bar, before loosening the top bolts.

· Registered
3 Posts
Hi fellows! I bought a GSX S1000 and I want to buy a good steering damper but here in Brazil there is only the MAXRACING brand. Are there another brands in England or USA? I visited some websites but they don´t have much information about our motorbike. Anyone knows about adaptation?

· Registered
451 Posts
I have a Scotts damper because the Scotts service center, or a scotts center, is about 2 miles from my house. It works amazignly well

I googled the brand you mentioned, and it looks very similar to everything else. If thats so, why not buy soemthingg thats easy to buy replacement parts for , or get serviced?

· Registered
186 Posts
I have a Scotts damper because the Scotts service center, or a scotts center, is about 2 miles from my house. It works amazignly well

I googled the brand you mentioned, and it looks very similar to everything else. If thats so, why not buy soemthingg thats easy to buy replacement parts for , or get serviced?
Are you using the Scotts stabilizer on your GSXS? If so could you give us some info on the kit you used? I really want a steering stabilizer but GPR said they wouldn't be making one unless they started getting alot of requests for it and didn't see anything listed on Scotts website. Was planning on trying to get a Max Racing stabilizer but would rather get something closer to home that I could get serviced if necessary. And pictures would be great!

· Registered
451 Posts
At one point in time, this guy did custom mounts. The page shows his mount for the Ninja 1000, but he would make any mount you wanted or needed. Expensive, and I had to wait @ two months, but he was worth dealing with and a very cool, and honest guy. However, he was in Taiwan.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/haveallmotor/sets/72157629784365744/

He does not speak English, so I had to do everything through Google translate

That being said, next time I promised myself to just buy what was easy to get, and what was easy to obtain service, and support for.

If my mount ever wears, and I'm sure it will, I better make friends with a local machinist?

· Registered
1,061 Posts
IMO the bike does need one and I was surprised Suzuki left one off to begin with. I have already had mine shake its head bad under hard acceleration off a turn or simply going straight when hitting a bad bump. Coupled with the fact the rear shock is basically garbage and you pretty much end up with an unstable bike at times.

· Registered
186 Posts
I have been really happy with my max racing one. Didn't have any issues with ordering it and they had all sorts of color combinations you could ask for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How did you go about ordering the Max Racing stabilizer? Have sent them a email but haven't heard back from them yet. Do you mind telling how much it was and how long it took to get it?

41 - 60 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.