GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone heard anything about the stop sale recall on (from what I understand) all GSX-S models across the US? They’re supposed to release a service bulletin soon but no one has seen it. I bought the bike and of course the same day they issues the stop sale. Figures.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Anyone heard anything about the stop sale recall on (from what I understand) all GSX-S models across the US? They’re supposed to release a service bulletin soon but no one has seen it. I bought the bike and of course the same day they issues the stop sale. Figures.
Curious, where did you get your information?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I first heard it from a dealer in Las Vegas, NV. So I confirmed with another dealer in Vegas and another in Arizona. I then called Suzuki and they confirmed it and said it has something to do with the fuel pump (seal or gasket I think) but they didn’t have any more info on it. Supposedly today or tomorrow they will produce more info on it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just called a dealer in California that confirmed it again. He said the recall isn’t even in the internet VIN recall finders. He has a bulletin that says it’s for the fuel pump seals on certain models. My 18’ GSX-S750 is confirmed to be an affected model unfortunately. Yay for buying a bike and not being able to get it for a couple weeks. Bummer.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Just spoke with Suzuki. The service bulletin is expected to be published soon and parts should be available to order by next week. The recall is on all 2017-2018 GSX-S1000’s and all 2018 GSX-S750’s. All VIN’s. It is a two part repair. They are replacing the fuel pump O-Rings and casing (whatever that means).

so, should we just wait til the bad boy fails, and take it in and get a full on replacement for free installed?

·
Registered
533 Posts
so, should we just wait til the bad boy fails, and take it in and get a full on replacement for free installed? Not seeing a reason to take it in if its fine in my opinion. If it fails, id like a replacement vs replacing it and watch that cause an issue and bam screwed
No. Depending on local laws, issuing a recall and offering to cover the cost of the identified issue may be sufficient to absolve them of responsibility for any damage caused by a failure.

Without having the bulletin yet, can't say what the failure mode is, but if it's a stop sale, and it invloves the fuel pump casing and o-rings, I'm gonna guess the bike catching on fire is one possibility.

Basically if your bike catches fire you may be on the hook for it if you ignore the recall.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Ethanol ruining O rings again is my bet. Have some idiot's may have been running E85 fuel as an experiment in the Land of the Free ?

Rob
Ethanol free is rare (hard to find), expensive, and only comes in octane levels lower than recommended here.
I'm glad you have easy access, but I'd bet a huge number of people don't.

D

·
0 Posts
Can confirm. Bought a brand new one today in FL. couldn't take it home. Sucks but I can't wait to get her on the street. I scoured the net and this is the only place talking about it.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
yes. hole blew out of left side of lower crankcase at about 70MPH. blew the chain off which got wedged in between the rear sprocket and swingarm and chewed that to ****. This is actually a longer story with a bitter sweet ending (I have a new bike.)
its the oil your using...no no just joking ,,,thats some serious stuff lucky you didnt go down....must of took a while before admit the problem was there fault....glad it worked out in the end.......and stop those clutch less shifts ;)

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
A search today on Product Safety Recall Gov site lists NO recall for the GSX-S1000's
but for the GSX-S750 & Z both AL7 and 8 years; GSX-R1000 and DL650 V Strom.

Seeing the DL650 has the same motor as the SV650. the fuel pump must be a bit different in design, or it's recall is still to come.
The date of the recall is 19 October 2018 (10/19/2018 for the USA Folk).

Link is here, https://www.productsafety.gov.au/recall/suzuki-australia-pty-ltd-dl650-gsx-s750-and-gsx-r1000a-motorcycles

I was interested to note 153 of the GSX-S750 AL7 were imported in Australia and only 15 of the 750Z AL8 model imported.
Of the 153, the Suzuki Warehouse in Melbourne has no stock of the more popular Blue/Black, but plenty of the Red/Matte Black if you want a couple for under the Christmas Tree.

Rob.

The Recall:

" The O-ring on the fuel pump may have become twisted during the installation process. If the seal has been twisted, it may reduce the performance of the seal.

What are the hazards?

This could cause a minor fuel leak. The leak would not be expected to spill onto the road, due to the small volume, and there is no risk of fire unless caused by external ignition source."

·
Registered
719 Posts
its the oil your using...no no just joking ,,,thats some serious stuff lucky you didnt go down....must of took a while before admit the problem was there fault....glad it worked out in the end.......and stop those clutch less shifts ;)
You may be more right than you know.....My running theory is my quickshifter somehow failed....suzuki was not involved in the replacement.

Happened at night on a relatively well travelled road....sparks flying and very dramatic looking with lots of fishtailing at 70mph. Very lucky I didn't crash but since I didn't I'm sure it was a cool looking recovery. Left bike on side of road while I made arrangements for transport and she was stolen by the time I got back.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
You may be more right than you know.....My running theory is my quickshifter somehow failed....suzuki was not involved in the replacement.

Happened at night on a relatively well travelled road....sparks flying and very dramatic looking with lots of fishtailing at 70mph. Very lucky I didn't crash but since I didn't I'm sure it was a cool looking recovery. Left bike on side of road while I made arrangements for transport and she was stolen by the time I got back.
glad it worked out all around

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
my rr buddy has one of those blipper things,,,up shifts down shifts no clutch.....i asked dont you enjoy rev matching and using clutch to up shift.....down shift.......i always found using the clutch one of the most fun part of riding...........

·
Registered
719 Posts
my rr buddy has one of those blipper things,,,up shifts down shifts no clutch.....i asked dont you enjoy rev matching and using clutch to up shift.....down shift.......i always found using the clutch one of the most fun part of riding...........

I actually agree with you about shifting 100%. Its the first time I bother to install one. Since I had access to it in the ECU software I thought I'd give one a try. My conclusion was that I wasn't all that into it....before it failed.

Those electric Zero bikes are supposed to be fun though....No shifting at all.

D

·
0 Posts
Any word on when the stealerships will be getting the parts? When I bought mine they said all new purchases were getting the parts expedited. I want my bike home lol

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
They told me last week parts would be available late last week. Then they said it will be this coming week so who knows. They said purchased bikes will be first priority over unsold stock. I just hope they get can the parts out fast and the dealer doesn’t take their sweet ass time to comply with it. I’m in the same boat. I’d love to get a hold of the bike I purchased.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts