GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i've made some research on the forum and found nothing.

since i've installed the Arrow headers, my idle is quite strange, it travels +-200 rpm and same thing when i'm trying to stay at +-40-70kmh.

I'm I the only one ?

I know it is probably because it is lean but I can't be the only one and there's maybe a fix ?

Thank you

·
Registered
17 Posts
you took an already lean motorcycle and made it leaner by installing an exhaust.

needs fueling mapped
you can use pcv bazzaz or reflash - with dyno on all 3

jason

·
Registered
974 Posts
http://www.ebay.com.au/ulk/itm/222146110902

If you read the description on the item it may explain it, this could help a lot of bikes that have the constant throttle problem and I am running one on mine with the PCV currently with s zero map and it has smoothed it out some more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yeah as the others said, your bike is running even leaner now. Not a good thing. Last thing you would want to do is over heat your exhaust valve stems and drop them into the combustion chamber.

Your ecm is getting signals from the lean condition and causing your bike to "search" for a good mixture. Hence the hunting. In a way this is a good thing as it's like an immune system response to save the bike running too lean.

You could just try installing a booster plug(Which I have on a stock exhaust system). If it doesn't stop the idle hunting, it might mean it is still running too lean. If you ignore the warning signs by directly installing an O2 sensor eliminator, this may stop the symptom of hunting, but it will keep your bike running in a lean condition.

No ecu flash, no pcv, oem o2 sensor plugged in

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah as the others said, your bike is running even leaner now. Not a good thing. Last thing you would want to do is over heat your exhaust valve stems and drop them into the combustion chamber.

Your ecm is getting signals from the lean condition and causing your bike to "search" for a good mixture. Hence the hunting. In a way this is a good thing as it's like an immune system response to save the bike running too lean.

You could just try installing a booster plug(Which I have on a stock exhaust system). If it doesn't stop the idle hunting, it might mean it is still running too lean. If you ignore the warning signs by directly installing an O2 sensor eliminator, this may stop the symptom of hunting, but it will keep your bike running in a lean condition.

What is I install a booster plug but want to add a PCV in a year or two ?

does the boosterplug still worth it dual with pcv or it changes nothing when you have a pcv installed ?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Essentially, the booster plug is a cheap way to richen the mixture. Its not perfect. But, it works for my application.
If you don't want to get the PCV now, you are better off getting the plug. It seems to work really well for me and a lot of other people in the forum who has it.
At a minimum, do the TPS adjustment. This made a big difference for a lot of owners too and ITS FREE :D

In the future, when you install the PCV, just remove the booster plug. It literally takes 10 seconds to disconnect. Then install the PCV. I just wouldnt be riding around with a super lean bike.

Lean conditions cause burnt spark plugs and valves are not very healthy.

Bonne chance mon ami

What is I install a booster plug but want to add a PCV in a year or two ?

does the boosterplug still worth it dual with pcv or it changes nothing when you have a pcv installed ?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Essentially, the booster plug is a cheap way to richen the mixture. Its not perfect. But, it works for my application.
If you don't want to get the PCV now, you are better off getting the plug. It seems to work really well for me and a lot of other people in the forum who has it.
At a minimum, do the TPS adjustment. This made a big difference for a lot of owners too and ITS FREE :D

In the future, when you install the PCV, just remove the booster plug. It literally takes 10 seconds to disconnect. Then install the PCV. I just wouldnt be riding around with a super lean bike.

Lean conditions cause burnt spark plugs and valves are not very healthy.

Bonne chance mon ami
Alright thank you very much! I already did the tps mod so yes it helped a little but it's not perfect

·
Registered
434 Posts
my solution for a perfect running engine is
PCV+autotune and also flashed the ECU but mainly to only remove the retarted timing in the first 3 gears.

·
Registered
371 Posts
my solution for a perfect running engine is
PCV+autotune and also flashed the ECU but mainly to only remove the retarted timing in the first 3 gears.
FYI, according to the stock ECU calibration uploaded by FTECU, the first 3 gears only have different ignition timing below 25% throttle and at low RPM (to increase drivability). All cells 25% and up at any RPM gets you full ignition timing. And any throttle position at 7000 RPM+ also gets you full timing.

·
Registered
434 Posts
FYI, according to the stock ECU calibration uploaded by FTECU, the first 3 gears only have different ignition timing below 25% throttle and at low RPM (to increase drivability). All cells 25% and up at any RPM gets you full ignition timing. And any throttle position at 7000 RPM+ also gets you full timing.
Ah... ok... it does feel a lot faster at full throttle in the first 3 gears tho, wheelies pop up much easier too... and the map is very similar to what i had prior in the pcv. But I also did open and remove the airbox restrictor so im sure that helped a bit with air flow for the new map.

well heres the full list of reasons I got it done:
https://store.schnitzracing.com/schnitz-ecu-reflash-suzuki-gsx-s1000-15-16/
  1. Increased Rev Limiter to 12,600RPM (+500rpm over stock)
  2. Top Speed Restriction Removed
  3. Secondary Throttle Blades Open More Aggressively And Stay Open
  4. Ignition Timing Retard Disabled
  5. Gear Based Fuel Trims Removed
  6. Stock O2 Sensor FI Disabled
  7. Radiator Fan Set to Come On at 90*C (194*F)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts