GSXS 1000 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
There can be two reasons for this :
This may happen due to condensation in the engine. Primarily the reason for condensation is either the change in weather or you are not riding your bike enough. If you ride very short trips then your bike engine will not get enough time to burn off the water vapours. These vapours over the time will create a milky sludge the will accumulate.
The other reason is that coolant has mixed in with the engine oil. This mixing may lead to head gasket leak or even engine damage. Because with mixing up of coolant, engine oil will become contaminated, which significantly will reduce the ability of engine oil to provide lubrication and subsequently will lead to engine failure.

yes , i ride for short distance , and it's cold in my country now ( about -2C ) but i will change oil today , on evening , maybe a oil milkshake can't circulate well in system , and engine don't work properly , that why the noise is ??? i will try . after that i don't even know there the problem could be ???

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I’d push the starter while it’s running and check for change in noise. I’d exhaust all those type options, then pull the stator cover and start pulling parts off until I get to the starter clutch. That’s just me though.

i did everything from this , nothing was wrong , and same noise .

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
It has an oil jet hole to lubricate cam chain. It could be the spring lose or cam adjuster stuck with less the oil. Maybe when the cold engine happens.
oh , thank you so much for explain . it help's me . i will change oil today , and then will see tensioner .

do you have service manual for gsxs1000 ???

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Not only change oil and filter, you need to clean all that white sludge out. I think this is most likely contributing to the problem - oil not circulating properly, when the engine warms up, the white sludge becomes more liquid so oil begins to flow better.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Not only change oil and filter, you need to clean all that white sludge out. I think this is most likely contributing to the problem - oil not circulating properly, when the engine warms up, the white sludge becomes more liquid so oil begins to flow better.
yes , so you want to warm up engine to work temperature , and then take it off . i don't know another variant :/

·
Registered
367 Posts
yes , so you want to warm up engine to work temperature , and then take it off . i don't know another variant :/
The simplest solution is to use a chemical engine sludge remover. Google it!
They are the easiest way to get rid of engine sludge.
They are typically added to the old oil, then you idle the engine for 5-10 minutes without driving it.
This gives the chemical solution time to solvate the sludge and draw as much of it as possible back into the oil.
Then you change the oil and the engine sludge is removed along with the old oil.
Be sure to follow the specific application directions for whatever you are using.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Thanks Rob,
Good to see that the Manual is still accessible to us. Unfortunately, if you were trying to point out a particular page for the benefit of the OP, it just doesn't do that, (never did).
So if you have a point for the OP, you have to spell the link out in words to navigate there by eye.

I did see in the the oil pump description, that there is a bolt on pipe with a flange at one end and a gauze oil filter at the other end.
There is also a oil pressure regulator in there too to read up on, which they advise can be tested after disassembly from the bike. Replace if faulty is the recommendation.
If you not getting an red oil light staying on after start up, it's probably OK.

Rob.

·
Registered
584 Posts
This link gives a good explanation of what may be going on in your engine and how the 'engine flush' works.
https://blog.amsoil.com/is-an-engine-flush-good-or-bad/

The 'sludge' you have built up is restricting oil flow to your valve train and perhaps your cam chain. As the engine warms up and runs long enough SOME oil finally reaches these areas and that quiets things down. But while it is making that 'noise' it's harming your bike's engine. You need to clean out the sludge and hopefully one of these 'engine flush' additives in your oil (BEFORE YOU CHANGE IT) can help you do that. Not sure where you live or what's available to you, but I'm sure there is something at the auto parts store that would work.

Sorry you are having such trouble. The 'rule-of-thumb' is you want to run your bike (or car) for 12 miles or more to heat the engine and oil up enough to evaporate the condensation and remove gas fume 'blow by' that got past your rings. If your trip to work is only a few miles, then every so often, you need to take the 'scenic route' home and put some miles on the bike and get the engine hot for a period of time. It'll be fun for you and good for the bike. Good luck. Keep us posted. I'm hoping your 'fix' is simple and no real harm has been done.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
The simplest solution is to use a chemical engine sludge remover. Google it!
They are the easiest way to get rid of engine sludge.
They are typically added to the old oil, then you idle the engine for 5-10 minutes without driving it.
This gives the chemical solution time to solvate the sludge and draw as much of it as possible back into the oil.
Then you change the oil and the engine sludge is removed along with the old oil.
Be sure to follow the specific application directions for whatever you are using.
Great advise, do it!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mate to me that doesn't look like just a bit of sludge from condensation, looks like you have a coolant leak from either a worn gasket or crack in the head or block, if the bike was dropped I'd be betting on a crack, seen this on car engines with cracked heads or blown gaskets.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
i didn't use any engine washers solution , just good warm up and remove old oil . also take off old filter . start this morning bike , and everything is same . exactly same noise on cold engine about 10 seconds , and then it's gone . bike runs perfect . :( i think i will check chain tensioner on this week .

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
This link gives a good explanation of what may be going on in your engine and how the 'engine flush' works.
https://blog.amsoil.com/is-an-engine-flush-good-or-bad/

The 'sludge' you have built up is restricting oil flow to your valve train and perhaps your cam chain. As the engine warms up and runs long enough SOME oil finally reaches these areas and that quiets things down. But while it is making that 'noise' it's harming your bike's engine. You need to clean out the sludge and hopefully one of these 'engine flush' additives in your oil (BEFORE YOU CHANGE IT) can help you do that. Not sure where you live or what's available to you, but I'm sure there is something at the auto parts store that would work.

Sorry you are having such trouble. The 'rule-of-thumb' is you want to run your bike (or car) for 12 miles or more to heat the engine and oil up enough to evaporate the condensation and remove gas fume 'blow by' that got past your rings. If your trip to work is only a few miles, then every so often, you need to take the 'scenic route' home and put some miles on the bike and get the engine hot for a period of time. It'll be fun for you and good for the bike. Good luck. Keep us posted. I'm hoping your 'fix' is simple and no real harm has been done.
Thank you for good wishes , i will try your advice .

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Mate to me that doesn't look like just a bit of sludge from condensation, looks like you have a coolant leak from either a worn gasket or crack in the head or block, if the bike was dropped I'd be betting on a crack, seen this on car engines with cracked heads or blown gaskets.
yes , i agree with you , but , engine run great after heating . and coolant is not going , level is still same .

i bought this bike from copart , it was damaged , but nothing with engine , and i ride on it about 4 month , noise was starting about 4-5 days , before that everything was perfect .

·
Registered
565 Posts
Cam chain tensioner is most likely the culprit. Many Suzuki's along with other brands are affected by it but some are not.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Like others have said run engine flush and change filter and top up with a good quality oil, when refitting engine cover give mating surfaces a good clean and use some good gasket dresser/maker, regarding the noise sounds like the Cam tensioner is close to jumping another thread to retention the chain, it's common on these bikes and sounds like a loud rattle.

21 - 40 of 74 Posts