GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
There is a good youtube comparison by 1000psi I think they are Austrian or German and they compare the GSXS with the KTM, BMW S1000,and Tuono all of which are much more expensive and loaded with many electronic gubbins that are sure to go wrong the day after the warranty runs out.
Bottom line is they say the Suzuki is not as refined but it still keeps up with all the others and in some cases is even better, like fastest 0 to 60mph.
GSXS for riders and the rest for the kudos brigade.

JUST SAYING!!!!

·
Registered
2021(updated model) GSX-S1000
1,885 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
While it is flattering and proof of how this bike is perceived by people in general, it's not entirely a valid comparison. It's a hyper-naked, yes, but in the Japanese vein not the techno-wizardry section of the Euro team. Except in the braking department, stick that up your clackers, Euro trash! They seemed to begrudge the 'poor man's' braking system bettering the other two a bit.

I'm waiting for comparisons with the Kawasaki, Speed Triple and...well the old Yammy FZ1 isn't in the same class but it's there by default. Even the Speed Triple isn't considered a hyper-naked like the Suzi and Euro versions but it's another close competitor to the GSXS. Kwaka thou, Speed Triple, GSXS, maybe throw in the Duke Street Fighter, add in an MV Augusta. That's a comparison I want to read.

Comparing it to bikes almost half again as expensive is cool but only proves that if you pay more you get more, and that's how it should be. I'm just fine with my working man's rocket.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Great review, haven't had a chance to throw a leg over the new Tuono as yet.
Keener than ever now after watching the vid and hearing that V4 roar.
Very accurate review of the GSXS, if Suzuki lift their game I'm sure the overall ratings would improve and they could give the Euro's a run for their money.

·
Registered
29 Posts
While it is flattering and proof of how this bike is perceived by people in general, it's not entirely a valid comparison. It's a hyper-naked, yes, but in the Japanese vein not the techno-wizardry section of the Euro team. Except in the braking department, stick that up your clackers, Euro trash! They seemed to begrudge the 'poor man's' braking system bettering the other two a bit.

I'm waiting for comparisons with the Kawasaki, Speed Triple and...well the old Yammy FZ1 isn't in the same class but it's there by default. Even the Speed Triple isn't considered a hyper-naked like the Suzi and Euro versions but it's another close competitor to the GSXS. Kwaka thou, Speed Triple, GSXS, maybe throw in the Duke Street Fighter, add in an MV Augusta. That's a comparison I want to read.

Comparing it to bikes almost half again as expensive is cool but only proves that if you pay more you get more, and that's how it should be. I'm just fine with my working man's rocket.
The funny bit is they hate on the braking system, but it has the shortest stopping distance. I'd say in the "objective" category the GSXS1000 holds it's own, only in subjective does it fall behind. That's to be expected though, the other two bikes are 40-60% more cash.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Isnt that something? The bike that cost 5000.00 more was better? Who'd have guessed that? I think the appeal for this bike, and maybe even the z 1000 is this.

Buy in at a low price. The people that dont care about suspension and handling are happy. Those who do still have another 5000.00 left over to fix it.

When your done, your bike ends up costing you 14,000 but you are left with japanese reliability that the others dream about.

Let me also offer this link. Bike has been on here all summer and odds are you could get it for much less. Its not mine, thank god.:

Motorcycles, Road Bikes Used Classifieds for Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming | ksl.com

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you read the actually print review the GSXS1000 does very well objectively but not subjectively. They're a lot harsher on the Suzuki in the video than they are in the print.

The GSXS is the lightest, stops the fastest, gets the best fuel economy, and is the cheapest. After winning in all of those categories it's only marginally slower than the other two bikes and they even say the suspension is really good as long as your not pushing it to the limits (aka track).

Really the only issue is maybe the on/off fueling, but that's nothing flashtune can't fix.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I think you guys are missing the point of a comprehensive points based review that this represents.
The Suzuki is last overall, 157 to the Apes 177, due to 20 criteria that all the bikes were compared with.
The KTM was found lacking in many areas yet is the most expensive, so they need to lift their game to address the issues.
The current model Tuono has had a lot of improvements made in order to have it score so well.
I certainly would not drop $5 K on the Suzuki to bring it up to spec as you will never get it back on resale so you would have to very keen to go down that path.
I would like to see an upspec model offered by Suzuki a 'Factory' spec version if you like.
If you had the option to spend another 3 to 4 K at the dealers and have all the fruit included with better suspension, fuelling, QS, electronics etc, you would then have a potential class leading machine.
I know that would get my attention, I'm sure that many current owners on here would have considered spending the extra dollars if the option was available too.

·
Registered
29 Posts

@jong the interesting bit for me is that the Suzuki actually wins the objective scoring, it looses the subjective scoring. The one that gets me is subjectively the Suzuki has the worst brakes, objectively it stops the fastest.

Also, in the range category KTM (range 161) gets a 10, Suzuki (range 167) a 8, and Aprilia (147) a 7. I don't understand how the Suzuki has the best range but doesn't score the highest? That seems odd to me.

·
Registered
415 Posts
If, jong, if,if,if. Suzuki built what Suzuki built. It's the cheapest performance litre bike on the market. Cost reduction means you don't get all the fruit. Are you obtuse or really just a troll?

If you don't like it,don't buy it. Go and buy the bmw and we'll all be happy for you.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I posted a link for a beautiful 2014 aprilia Tuono. Barely broken in. The lowest price int he nation. It sat there all summer on the classified and is still there. Price is 9995.00 Still under warranty. And it has not sold.

Thats some resale. It sold for 14,499.

Honest, I dont know why someone would even ask the question. A shock and fork upgrade for 1500.00 and the suzuki is as good as the others. Not better, maybe not even quite as good. But it runs. You wont have coolant recalls, valve recalls, bodywork falling off, engine exchanges, etc like you do with the bmw and aprilia.

You want this? Be my guest.

Maintenance, Servicing, and Mechanical - page 1 - BMW S1000R

Scan through the first few pages and look at the issues. Then look here, or at a ninja 1000 forum.

For me, I take a ninja 1000, suzuki, honda and build my own. Resale and my costly mods are pretty meaningless when I still have a perfectly running motorcycle five years from now.

·
Registered
95 Posts
If, jong, if,if,if. Suzuki built what Suzuki built. It's the cheapest performance litre bike on the market. Cost reduction means you don't get all the fruit. Are you obtuse or really just a troll?

If you don't like it,don't buy it. Go and buy the bmw and we'll all be happy for you.
Are you that insecure when someone makes some disparaging remarks about your new pride and joy that you believe is the best bike ever?
I have owned many Jap and Euro bikes over the years and currently have a Tuono (v2) in the stable as well as a few others. And yes the Jap bikes are cheaper to maintain and generally have fewer issues overall as a rule.
I am neither obtuse or a Troll, just being open about what I would like, why is that so threatening to you?
I am currently evaluating a number of different machines in view to a new purchase within the next few months.
Quite a few manufactures offer 'Factory' higher spec models on their sports bikes including Aprilia, BMW and even Yamahas new R1.
What is wrong with posting that I would like to see an upspec option available on the GSXS?
If enough people show interest it may be on offer in the future.
I like some fruit with my modern bikes and enjoy and appreciate the current naked bike offerings available in the higher performance end of the scale. I ain't no cruiser that's for sure.
I'm not out to offend anyone but certainly won't be apologising to anyone like yourself who isn't happy when I express my views as how I see things or my wish list.

Me thinks you may be the 'obtuse' one around here.;)

·
Registered
415 Posts
Heh, got under your skin there a bit didn't I, jong? Mission accomplished. Now that I have your attention, how about addressing my primary question: name a better bike for the money. You nit pick but don't offer a decent comparison to base your criticisms on. So, which bike will it be?

BTW, I dont't need your biking resume, I'm not that easily impressed.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hardly a bike resume was offered and I'm not interested in impressing anyone, merely broad minded enough to take a look at all available offerings and putting my money down where appropriate.
And WOW what a mission you have embarked on, didn't see you answering my questions that were put to you.
I can't answer the 'better bike for the money' question as there is no such thing.
This is different for everyone and comes down to what you are looking for in a bike at any particular time.
Going by your logic I could argue for example that the Yamaha MT-09 is the best bike around as its only $10500 ride away. Great little machine in the right hands but not really my cup of tea. At a 6 K difference to the GSXS it's a bargain.
So there you go the MT-09 it is.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Awesome bike, but you failed to mention the throttle and suspension issues. Also, not in the same league. Try again.

·
Registered
451 Posts
MT 09 is a great, awesome, and incredible engine wrapped in the most budget based chassis and suspension money can not buy. I think with that one you will be dropping money in the suspension.

The aprilia is an incredible bike, with zero resale, and sketchy reliability.

I dont need Suzuki, Kawasaki or Honda building a up-spec bike. Just because they bolt on Ohlins suspension, its still not "yours". If you want oem ohlins to be great, you still need to revalve and re spring for your weight.

I could understand knocking suzuki for poor throttle response if it was 2500.00 for an ecu reflash, but its not. Its a simple, 250-350 dollar fix.

Plus, anyone who thinks Aprilia went all in with their Tuono has to look no further than its front master cylinder. It may have been stolen from my 1999 sv 650. Heres a pic of a used one on ebay.

12 15 Aprilia Tuono V4R Front Brake Master Cylinder Tested AP3 | eBay

The v4 is a wonderful motorcycle engine, it really is. If this bike was built by the Japanese, you'd really have something special.

When you see something like that front master cylinder, its obvious they were working within a budget. To have such low spec in an important part, god only knows what other corners were cut.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts